Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What you say here makes a pile of sense, but how about thinking back to the 1860s when there were still plantations and slaves. What group of whites fought hardest to keep blacks enslaved? What party did Abraham Lincoln belong to? Yep, he didn't free many slaves with his proclamations but at least in wanting to maintain the union he also wanted to free slaves.

What I am saying is that I am not sure why blacks seem to like Democrats so much. Can you explain that while thinking about Lincoln?
Hey roy. Just a bit of history for you that my clear things up.

Yes, the Reps did free the blacks from slavery. And from the end of the Civil War to the 1930s, blacks generally voted for Republicans. Especially in the South where the state and local governments were run by pro-segregation Dems.

The change started with FDR's New Deal. He was a Dem and he was able to get a lot of blacks out of unemployment and into better-paying jobs. However, the South was still run by Democratic governors that segregated the public.

That change was solidified with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which were signed by Dem. LBJ. When he signed the Civil Rights Act, he said that he was giving the South to the opposing party for a long period of time. Southern Democrats were enraged by the two acts, and several switched sides. Then Nixon appealed to the Southerners' distaste by using the Southern strategy. It appealed to the Southern whites' racism (not that they are racist now, but at the time) by talking about the potential lawlessness and loss of control that could happen from empowered blacks. That is how the South became Republican. The Southern strategy was also the final straw that drove blacks over to the Democratic party: the racist people who have kept them oppressed were now Rep, and the party itself was treating them as less than human.

Hope that helps man.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Roy...easiest explantation is this: THAT Republican party ain't THIS Republican party.

And if you're being honest with yourself, you know i'm right.
So what happened to the republican party in your opinion that took them so far away from the foundation of what the party stood for in your opinion?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Regardless of who Cosby supports - he was treated harshly by black people for what he said. It's instructive if you choose to receive it.

Your first paragraph addresses nothing I said.
Everything I wrote addressed what you wrote.

Your logic is failing why would Cosby support a party that YOU believe doesn't want black people to be self sufficient when you think that is what BIll Cosby was telling black people?

This is a simple question.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I never hear Conservatives say those terms, but I always hear Liberals remark how dumb minorities are and they have to be "protected". Just look at the Liberals go crazy with the voter id laws. They potray minorities as being too dumb to get a voter id and "just can figure things out".
You make two of us who think like you said here. Those libs who are so much against photo ID are obviously trying to "protect" their supporters from having to prove who they are. It is really pretty funny how these things go on.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
It is just more of the same old, same old from conservatives. They just naturally assume that everyone is too stupid to see through their BS. Like when they try to convince people that the Confederate flag had nothing to do with slavery.

When they choose to use terms like "plantation", "slave", etc., I believe that it is just a sign that their racism is so deep seated and pervasive that they honestly don't understand how offensive their statements are to minorities and other non-racists. I actually think the use of code words and other subtle forms of bigotry is much worse than the burning cross/white hood variety. At least the KKK and other white supremacist groups have the courage to just come right out with it.
I agree with the above and on the bolded I will add that they also try to convince people that the primary reason for the Civil War was not slavery but instead "states rights." (Like it wasn't about the rights of states to keep slaves LOL!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Regardless of who Cosby supports - he was treated harshly by black people for what he said. It's instructive if you choose to receive it.
Cosby was not treated badly due to what he said. The majority of black people believe the same thing that Cosby stated (which is what I have to repeatedly say here for some reason as many of you really do think that black people hate Bill Cosby which is far from the truth). Even those who were critical of Cosby were not critical due to not agreeing with him, but because he "aired our dirty laundry" to others. What he said was the truth and black people still love Bill Cosby and he is still a Democrat, much more a Democrat than me, I am a black woman independent, but I do agree with the personal responsibility message that he shared and that even the president has shared in regards to black people.

In regards to the OP, I actually don't feel bad about republicans saying idiotic things about black people or any other groups of Americans. What it does for me is to make me not take them seriously as an alternative to the Democratic Party. Though I am an independent, in a lot of ways I have Republican leanings and my Dem friends call me a Repub all the time (I make sure to tell them I'm an independent). I would consider joining the Rebpulican Party if they were so socially conservative (I'm not religious) and didn't continue to allow stereotyping by their members of me just because I am black. I think a large amount of them are rather ignorant and so I don't take it personally, but it is sad that I do feel that I am prevented from looking at them as an alternative to the Dem party due to their complacency regarding stereotypes.

FWIW, I don't have that high of a view of Democrats either, but I do feel that the Republicans are on another level when it comes to trying to control people. Though I think the "you can't eat french fry" laws that Dems pass in local areas, even the "no smoking outside laws" I see as anti-American (and I am a non-smoking asthma patient) Dems on the national stage don't try to legislate laws in order to get me to follow their religious leanings like those who would allow outlawing abortion due to their own religious views. I see these things as having more long standing interferences in my life than eating fries since I can make my own fries and no one will know it but things that require medical assistance or that require government licensing (like marriage) are things that the GOP seems to focus on more than the Dems. Plus Dems are more willing to compromise than the GOP who take too many "pledges" not to raise taxes or support some sort of religious legislation. So I can stomach the Dems more than the GOP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Hey roy. Just a bit of history for you that my clear things up.

Yes, the Reps did free the blacks from slavery. And from the end of the Civil War to the 1930s, blacks generally voted for Republicans. Especially in the South where the state and local governments were run by pro-segregation Dems.

The change started with FDR's New Deal. He was a Dem and he was able to get a lot of blacks out of unemployment and into better-paying jobs. However, the South was still run by Democratic governors that segregated the public.

That change was solidified with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which were signed by Dem. LBJ. When he signed the Civil Rights Act, he said that he was giving the South to the opposing party for a long period of time. Southern Democrats were enraged by the two acts, and several switched sides. Then Nixon appealed to the Southerners' distaste by using the Southern strategy. It appealed to the Southern whites' racism (not that they are racist now, but at the time) by talking about the potential lawlessness and loss of control that could happen from empowered blacks. That is how the South became Republican. The Southern strategy was also the final straw that drove blacks over to the Democratic party: the racist people who have kept them oppressed were now Rep, and the party itself was treating them as less than human.

Hope that helps man.
FDR was a big fat racist and anti-semite. Liberals love him.

Johnson wasn't a friend of black people, he just made it appear that way to get votes. The welfare program he passed was truly the beginning of the end of the black american family.

Libs need to take a long hard direct look at who passed what, and why. And look at the aftermath.

All those policies "black people love" did nothing but solidify for many unmotivated blacks social welfare programs that keep them ignorant, in poverty and on the dole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
They will support whoever they believe has their best interest at heart whatever that may be, but don't sit there and call republicans racists because it's not true.

When Kennedy was in office, which is when blacks became aligned with the democrats, didn't know what kind of racists pulled the strings in the democratic party. They thought, civil rights, Kennedy, Johnson, King.

And that was an unholy alliance because of what happened to King and Kennedy.

Their murderers weren't republicans you can bet on that. But blacks saw Kennedy as some kinda savior, the reality was much further from what was widely believed.
Look, I don't know if all conservatives are racist, but I do know that many racist ideas appeal to conservative voters.

Conservative's associate black people in their words, and political ads, with welfare, with crime, with lack of a work ethic, with government dependency. Whenever conservatives discuss black people these will be the themes that come up.

They do believe that black people are on a Democratic plantation and have been tricked by the Democratic party.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM

121 posts, read 133,645 times
The reality is that the only color either party is sincerely interested in is the color of money and the best to keep it flowing is to stay in power. So, yes, Democrats will say things to appeal to their supporters and Republicans will do the same. It would be too risky to their reelection hopes if they did otherwise.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
FDR was a big fat racist and anti-semite. Liberals love him.

Johnson wasn't a friend of black people, he just made it appear that way to get votes. The welfare program he passed was truly the beginning of the end of the black american family.

Libs need to take a long hard direct look at who passed what, and why. And look at the aftermath.

All those policies "black people love" did nothing but solidify for many unmotivated blacks social welfare programs that keep them ignorant, in poverty and on the dole.
Why wouldn't black people support a political party that has a lot people like Lucky Gem who thinks black people are unmotivated, ignorant, and on the dole?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Conservative's associate black people in their words, and political ads, with welfare, with crime, with lack of a work ethic, with government dependency. Whenever conservatives discuss black people these will be the themes that come up.

They do believe that black people are on a Democratic plantation and have been tricked by the Democratic party.
I believe that some blacks were tricked by liberal policies that over time have proven to be the noose that's hanging them. They vote for "stuff", many think voting for Obama is going to keep the "stuff" rolling in.

Where's all the "stuff"? Who's working to get that "stuff"? Who pays for that "stuff"?

I'll tell you who... people who pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.