Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
None of those things makes anyone racist. Race isn't a part of it.
Defending White supremacists who burn crosses might be considered racist, didn't you do that in another thread????

Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
None of those things makes anyone racist. Race isn't a part of it.
I'll explain something I learned a long time ago while in school. See there was this lesson about domestic violence and the teacher played a series of interviews with men who had been convicted of domestic violence.

What I learned that day is that people attempt to normalize their behavior. So, those abusive men would say they weren't abusers because they didn't hit their wives or girlfriends in the face and an abuser would hit their wives/girlfriends in the face. Other's would say every man got a little physical with their wives/girlfriends from time to time and since most men aren't abusers neither were they.

In other words, based on their own understanding of what an abuser would do, that didn't describe themselves, because they had normalized their abusive behavior.

Racists and woman beaters have that in common. They normalize their own racist impulses and spread them to everyone else, thus clearly racist thoughts and ideas really have nothing to do with race. Or they think I am not a racist because I don't blah, blah, blah.

In the end, what to normal people is clearly racist, they can't see it as such because that would implicate their own beliefs as racist.

So, I have no doubt that you don't believe those thoughts about the President are racist.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What you say here makes a pile of sense, but how about thinking back to the 1860s when there were still plantations and slaves. What group of whites fought hardest to keep blacks enslaved? What party did Abraham Lincoln belong to? Yep, he didn't free many slaves with his proclamations but at least in wanting to maintain the union he also wanted to free slaves.

What I am saying is that I am not sure why blacks seem to like Democrats so much. Can you explain that while thinking about Lincoln?
I'll give one: b/c Black people respect the power of the Federal gov't in insuring the rights of the oppressed. Historically, regardless of which name was on the ballot, the party that supported the FEDERAL gov't stepping into to protect the rights & freedoms of minorities from the whim of oppressive STATE leaders was the party that got the Black vote.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'll give one: b/c Black people respect the power of the Federal gov't in insuring the rights of the oppressed. Historically, regardless of which name was on the ballot, the party that supported the FEDERAL gov't stepping into to protect the rights & freedoms of minorities from the whim of oppressive STATE leaders was the party that got the Black vote.
Bingo! The Federal government was their only recourse whenever the feds got the balls to take on the state governments, who wanted nothing more than to oppress black people.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM

121 posts, read 133,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't claim to know anyone. So yes who you claim to know is irrelevant.

Yet, this the precise position of most conservatives. They hate government spending.

Except for military, Medicare, medicaid, social security, and any spending that helps their family and friends.

Again, I wish this were not true about conservative voters. I wish this really was about two opposing views of the role of the American government, but it's not.

Republican voters love big government. They just hate when big government spends on groups they don't like and this about all it boils down to for most of them.

Conservative voters regularly describe other Americans as takers, moochers, lazy. This rhetoric is peppered in their discussions about government spending.

Such talk is not anti-big government spending. It is anti certain groups of people.
Again, I would not argue that Republicans are any more opposed to big government than Democrats, but you're basing giving your opinion as to the reasoning behind it and trying to pass it off as a fact. It's the exact same thing as someone saying "black people vote Democrat because they're lazy and like free stuff", yet you insist that what you say is a KNOWN FACT.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That makes too much sense. Also a huge percentage of black people in the middle class work are government workers. A huge percentage of the business that comes to black owned companies are government contracts. Which party in recent times has been pushing for those things?

The Democratic party every time it discusses so called black issues doesn't bring up welfare, crime, laziness, etc. They don't associate black people with those things in their political ads.

They don't have politicians running around saying black people are on a plantation and are brainwashed.

The Democratic party for all its massive shortcomings actually has black people as elected officials. During reconstruction when black people were elected to political office they were Republicans.

Since then the number of elected black republicans is many, many times smaller than the actual number of elected black Democrats.

In fact, every so called minority group the vast majority of the elected officials from that minority group are Democrats and it is by a wide margin.

For black and Asian people over 90% of the black and Asian elected officials are Democrats in Congress. For "hispanics" its like 70%.

These are things that the deeply flawed Democratic party does to get black votes.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Would that be like Bill Cosby, Herman McCain and Rep. Allen? I suppose you think of them as Uncle Toms.
Allen West IS an Uncle Tom. I've said it a million times. The other two....No.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
Again, I would not argue that Republicans are any more opposed to big government than Democrats, but you're basing giving your opinion as to the reasoning behind it and trying to pass it off as a fact. It's the exact same thing as someone saying "black people vote Democrat because they're lazy and like free stuff", yet you insist that what you say is a KNOWN FACT.
The comparison doesn't apply the idea that black people vote for Democrats because they are lazy and like free stuff is a racist idea.

It is not my opinion that conservative discuss government spending in terms of takers, moochers, and lazy.

It is what conservatives say when discussing government spending. You can pretend otherwise, but I won't.

It is not my opinion that conservatives are for big government spending it is what conservatives say.

So conservatives are not against government spending, they are against government spending on certain groups. This is objective reality. There is no other conclusion to draw.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Josh, I've read (and heard on the radio) those terms used by right wingers to describe Black Democrats and their relationship with the Democratic party numerous times.
Sorry mackinac, hearsay is not admissible in the court of CD. All your doing is making the other childish Dems on the board spittle on their keyboards.

Your supposition is nothing more than leftwing lies. I expected more from you.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I believe that some blacks were tricked by liberal policies that over time have proven to be the noose that's hanging them. They vote for "stuff", many think voting for Obama is going to keep the "stuff" rolling in.

Where's all the "stuff"? Who's working to get that "stuff"? Who pays for that "stuff"?

I'll tell you who... people who pay taxes.
Typical flattery. You've got nothing anyway. And anything you DO have wouldn't be worth squat to me. If you can figure out what % of your measly change goes in my pocket, send me an estimate, and I'll mail it to you. I'm serious.

And what stuff have I received that you haven't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.