Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
There's a difference, of course.

At four weeks, there is an implanted egg that has developed several layers of cells that will eventually become a baby.

At 24 weeks, the baby has developed organs, has regular periods of sleep & wakefulness, shows rapid eye movement, exhibits measurable brain activity and, with intensive medical care, can survive outside the womb.

Somewhere in there, doesn't the fetus become a person? As such, doesn't the procedure labeled abortion at some point become the killing of a person?

I don't get overly involved in the issue, as I can't say exactly when that transformation happens, and I understand that the vast majority of abortions occur early in the process, likely before said transformation. But to suggest that it's the same at 24 weeks as at four is disingenuous, in my opinion.
The thing in the woman's body is clearly at different stages of development, but look at the main reasons choicers give for abortion at will --- her body, her choice; abortion should be a personal decision between a woman and her doctor; and government shouldn't interfere with a woman's constitutionally protected right to privacy. How do those 3 defenses of abortion at will change as the blob of cells develops ? If hypothetically, between the 4th and 24th week of pregnancy, 2 of a single mom's 6 children suffer disabling injuries and she loses her job, why should the state interfere with her Choice ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, in fact, I think it should be encouraged for democrats.
No wonder this country is becoming so polarized. Comments like this. What make you think this is a good idea? Are like 13 years old?

Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 PM

580 posts, read 449,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Abortion stops a beating heart.
So, sanctions against Iraq killed up to 100,000 children in the 90's...sanctions against Iran may do the same...

Do you care? Are you indignant? Are you going to rail against them?

...I thought not...

Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Why the heck not ? It's still her body, her future. Who are you to impose your will on her ? Pro-choice all the way.
Because death is better. This should be the mantra of pro-choice. "Because death is better !"

Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,177 times
Default Because death is better.

From a logical, atheist, Christian, agnostic, Muslim, Jewish etc standpoint........

This should be the bumper sticker you pro-choicer's have on your cars.

PRO CHOICE : Because death is better !

I don't need to get in a philosophical, let me flex my mental muscle debate, with people who cant even agree that late term / botched abortion babies need protection. You people can't even agree that life begins OUTSIDE the womb. The simple answer you should all be shouting is.....Its our choice ! In ALL circumstances where we deem it necessary ! BECAUSE DEATH IS BETTER.

Bunch of self indulgent fools. That is the argument. Nothing more to say. Give Hippocrates a read sometime. Perfect example of a polytheist (NOT Christian for all you libs out there) who was against abortion HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO.

Ill say it again. Bunch of self indulgent fools who use examples of birth / baby causing death of the mother (rarest circumstance requiring an abortion) to justify all reasons for abortions.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

The answer should be obvious.

Execute the rapist and let the innocent baby live.

But most liberals will rant and rave if one dares mention executing criminals...
but they love to execute innocent babies.

That is why it sticks in my craw so bad. The crime was committed by the father, not the fetus/embryo.

Yes, support of war is hypocritical... it is implicitly banned in the New Testament with "Live by the sword, die by the Sword." That is why I don't support war.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetorius View Post
From a logical, atheist, Christian, agnostic, Muslim, Jewish etc standpoint........

which shows you are one of the more ignorant people who do not understand the position of pro choice (hint it has to do with CHOICE) .. If you don't understand what CHOICE means, then you are unable to learn.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
No. I am against abortion but I also believe you can't legislate morality.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetorius View Post

I don't need to get in a philosophical, let me flex my mental muscle debate, with people who cant even agree that late term / botched abortion babies need protection. You people can't even agree that life begins OUTSIDE the womb. The simple answer you should all be shouting is.....Its our choice ! In ALL circumstances where we deem it necessary ! BECAUSE DEATH IS BETTER.

Bunch of self indulgent fools. That is the argument. Nothing more to say. Give Hippocrates a read sometime. Perfect example of a polytheist (NOT Christian for all you libs out there) who was against abortion HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO.

Ill say it again. Bunch of self indulgent fools who use examples of birth / baby causing death of the mother (rarest circumstance requiring an abortion) to justify all reasons for abortions.
I couldn't have said it better myself...

Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
or the mother is in imminent danger of dying from giving birth.
According to Tea Party Representative Joe Walsh, there is no such thing...

Quote:
"with modern technology and science, you can't find one instance"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies