Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,387,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Most Jews are Democrats too, and btw a huge number of Christians are as well... so I guess only the Republican party is unwelcoming to people of different beliefs? If, in fact, what you claim is true. Wouldn't surprise me, considering Republicans are generally the ones who propose Christianity as an official religion, and use the (Christian) Bible to argue legal issues.
Which Republican has proposed Christianity as an official religion?

Republicans in my experience are generally pretty adamant when it comes to upholding the non-estab. clause of the 1st Amendment. It is Democrats like Obama who tend to be willing to throw it overboard when convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Now I know that Democrats will accept anyone into their fold who agrees with more spending, higher taxes, more regulation and Christian bashing. (mind you, no Muslim bashing is allowed if you're a Democrat)

I'm just asserting that most Atheists are Democrats. I haven't looked for statistics yet, so if anyone has some, feel free to put them forward.

However, I have heard that most Atheists are Democrats. Go figure.
The dominant theology in the GOP is the free market, not the Bible. I think that the evangelicals who do get involved in politics tend to have a lot of energy & drive, and so have disproportionate influence. But I am a non-believer and Republican, and have never felt any unwelcomeness at caucuses, etc. There is no shortage of Jewish conservatives/libertarians from Milton Friedman to Irving & Bill Kristol, to Krauthammer, Medved, Alan Greenspan, and now David Mamet. Nor is there any shortage of non-believer conservatives.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 AM

29,221 posts, read 22,421,319 times
Quote:
Now I know that Democrats will accept anyone into their fold who agrees with more spending, higher taxes, more regulation and Christian bashing. (mind you, no Muslim bashing is allowed if you're a Democrat)

I'm just asserting that most Atheists are Democrats. I haven't looked for statistics yet, so if anyone has some, feel free to put them forward.

So what? Only the religious vote?
Since all churches are declining in regular attendance, does this mean that all Republicans are hypocrites?
Does that mean that only the hypocrites vote?

C'mon, man. None of this topic means doodley-squat. Feel good rolling around in your own private tar pit, though. it's fun until it sucks you under.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,254,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Which Republican has proposed Christianity as an official religion?

Republicans in my experience are generally pretty adamant when it comes to upholding the non-estab. clause of the 1st Amendment. It is Democrats like Obama who tend to be willing to throw it overboard when convenient.
That is so far from true. Republicans are the ones for censorship you can't distort this fact.

And there are plenty of Republicans who want Christianity as the state religion of America.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
That is so far from true. Republicans are the ones for censorship you can't distort this fact.

And there are plenty of Republicans who want Christianity as the state religion of America.
Then it should be easy for you to provide a quote from one. A semi-prominent one, not some guy from East Underpants, Iowa that nobody has ever heard of.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I'd argue you're atheist because you have a higher IQ. You have the hard wiring to question what you are told by authority.
Meh...i'd say 'not really' to the former and 'hell yea' to the latter.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,224,259 times
Quote:
I would be very surprised if it were otherwise.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:47 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,254,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Then it should be easy for you to provide a quote from one. A semi-prominent one, not some guy from East Underpants, Iowa that nobody has ever heard of.
Actually, you will get whatever source I want that illustrates what I said. You do not get to pick and choose what sort of sources you want.

Either way, Rick Santorum wants the church and state to be one:

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-says-...164307440.html

Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,881,188 times
If most Atheists are Dems, it could be because Dems are less likely to believe the BS they hear.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Actually, you will get whatever source I want that illustrates what I said. You do not get to pick and choose what sort of sources you want.

Either way, Rick Santorum wants the church and state to be one:

Santorum says he doesn't believe in separation of church and state - Yahoo! News

First off, I am not a Santorum fan, and notice that he did not do very well among GOP voters in the primary.

Secondly, did you read your own link? He says that he does not believe in an absolute separation of church and state. Nowhere does he say that he "wants the church and state to be one." Nor does he say he wants to designate Christianity as the official religion, which was your original statement.

From your link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorum
The First Amendment means the free exercise of religion and that means bringing people and their faith into the public square
Almost the polar opposite of your assertion about Santorum.

So again, can you supply just one semi-prominent Republican who wants Christianity as the official religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies