Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Like African Americans, folks in Hawaiʻi that possess any amount of "Native Hawaiian" ancestry are considered to be "Hawaiian." Some folks still use "Hawaiian" was a demonym for a person from Hawaiʻi, so folks of "Native Hawaiian" ancestry often use Hawaiian-language terms such as kānaka maoli, kānaka ʻōiwi, etc. to denote indigenousness. People were born and raised in Hawaiʻi or "from Hawaiʻi" are "Hawaiʻi locals." One of the key elements that distinguishes a "Hawaiʻi local" from a "non-local" is the ability to speak "Pidgin" (aka "da kine" or "Hawaiʻi Creole English"). Thus, when your daughter "opens her mouth", folks know that she's not a "Hawaiʻi local." However, not being a "Hawaiʻi local" doesn't necessarily make a person less "Hawaiian."

Some folks, especially Asian Americans in the continental United States have attempted to promulgate a "hapa identity" for folks of "racially-mixed" backgrounds.
Hapas: Emerging Identity, Emerging Terms and Labels & the Social Constructions of Race

Itʻs an outgoing debate whether or not the demonym should be called "Filipino" or "Pilipino."
"Filipino-American" or "Pilipino-American?" | BakitWhy
Filipino? Tagalog? Pilipino? | Language | The Philippines

There are several reasons that I use "Pilipino" instead of "Filipino." First, the letter "F" doesn't occur naturally in any indigenous language of the Philippines. Second, the term "Pilipino" represents the recognition of the identity and history of the people of the Philippines. Third, the modern use of the term "Pilipino" in the United States grew out of "ethnic studies" which evolved from the Civil Rights Movement that was started by African Americans in the 1950s. The demonyms "Pinoy" and "Pinay" grew out of a similar awareness, activism, and desire for self-determination. So, I'll respect your right to use "Filipino" if you respect mine to use "Pilipino."
1. I have no idea why you are lecturing me on pigin as if I do not know about it. My daughter has been calling her female relatives, and friends of the family "Auntie" since she could talk. And while her father speaks pidgin, and she can understand it. When she opens her mouth, she has a clear accent placing her in the mid-atlantic region. And that is what I was referring to.

2. If you think I cam going to teach my daughter to refer to herself as Hapa Haole aka half-souless, you are nuts.

3. Go ahead, call Filipinos what you like. But I went to University of the Philippines Los Banos, one of the most politically active college campuses there. Calling Filipinos, "Pilipino" is the equivalent of calling Asians, Orientals.

4. And just because Tagalog does not possess certain letters and sounds endemic to the English doesn't mean they are not part of the Pilipino language.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
That's a very small sample size.
what do you mean?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
what do you mean?
Meaning that the anecdotal experiences of ONE person, needs to be acknowledged as being fundamentally limited in its application to the population in general.

My brother is half Filipino and Half white. People assume he is black, or more correctly, half black EVERY DAY. That does not mean we should then assume all half white/half filipino males look black.

Your experience is your experience, and as such hold a whole lot of meaning to you. But it maybe that other people, in similar situations do not have the experience. We just don't have enough information to make that assumption.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Nope, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I am darker than condoleeza rice and I am an unmixed black. Really tired of people acting like black women like me don't exist. the entire black race in america is not all high yella and mixed
Oh man. To you nobody knows anything about black people except you. And nobody said anything about dark-skinned blacks not existing.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Many real light skin "Black" people wouldn't be safe in many Black ghettos, especially those who have white skin, straight hair, thin noses and lips.
Have you even ever been to a "ghetto"?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I am not sure if I believe you. A lot of black americans online always claim to be medium toned or lightskinned with white ancestors. Nobody ever admits to being darkskinned, with predominantly black ancestry. I feel like I am the only darkskinned unmixed Black woman online.
Yeah, you probably are the only actual dark black black ebony Nubian black woman online.

My family ranges from the nearest white hi yella to the blackest black. I'm smack dab in the middle. I love black folks of all types.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Mariah looks like a "white" woman to me; remember some of us white people are pretty damn dark, even with no sun tans.
Mariah Carey's mother is Irish and her father is Black (her greatgrandmother on her father's side is Venezuelan)

Your race doesn't matter.. Your character doesn't matter.. All I see is.. Black - YouTube

Old 09-01-2012, 04:34 AM

42 posts, read 69,715 times
I've seen plenty of people that consider half white/half asians just asian too, it depends how they look.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
[TriMT7;25876014]They aren't "Americans." You're not an American until you are naturalized as a citizen, or you are born here
Good lord, apparently you missed the sarcasm and the demands made by illegals to be referred to as being "undocumented Americans".

Quote:
Even LEGAL immigrants are not Americans until they take the steps to become American. I have an immigrant father who has lived in America for over 40 years without "becoming American." I don't refer to him as an American, as he is not, and he has not chosen that designation for himself.
Of course legal immigrants who hold a green card are not "Americans". By virtue of an immigrant being in the US legally, they have the same rights as Americans, with the exception of voting and cannot obtain a US passport. As far as I'm concerned illegals are not entitled to anything but our current administration has determined what level of crime can be forgiven commited by an illegal who belongs to a protected class and has been the "right" to enjoy the freedoms that citizens and legal immigrants are entitled to.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:22 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why is Obama referred to as black when he is an equal mix of black and white?
Maybe because Obama identifies himself as being black? If he wasn't president and you met him or saw him you would probably automatically assume he is black. He also went the extra mile to say that Trayvon could have been his son?

Too bad we can't see other people through the eyes of a child. Children don't see "color" and when they realize that they are different, or that the other child is different, they generally ask the mother/father "why"? And that is where the lessons of race begin.

My husband's sister, who is Arab, passed on to her daughter those things she didn't like about herself. Her hair, her skin tone. My niece was obsessed about her skin tone, how she wanted to know how she could lighten her skin. How she wished she was "white". How she wanted to "bleach" her skin. She hated her hair and wanted to know how she could make her hair like a white person. Her mother would get her hair straightened. Told her to stay out of the sun so she didn't go to the beach or the pool. I was devastated to see how a 12 year old child was made to fell about herself. She has the most beautiful brown skin tone and absolutely gorgeous hair. It took work on my part to get her to embrace the two things that she couldn't change and should not want to change. She let her hair grow out naturally. It is full, glossy and full of ringlets. She likes to rub it in my face because I told her I would pay to have hair like her!!! Today, at the age of 17, she totally comfortable with who she is.

My grandson is half Arab half white. Because his first name is Arab he is labeled an "Arab". What he has been taught is that first and foremost he is a person who happens to be half Arab, half white. If he is to be judged it should be based on who he is, not because he is half Arab, half white. What applies to him, he applies to others.

Ppeople are not born being racists. It is the lessons that are taught or beliefs based on hatred that are passed down from one race towards another race that creates racism.

Last edited by softblueyz; 09-01-2012 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies