Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
So does war and executions. But those are a-ok right?
Don't bother. I bring that up every time and no pro life person ever responds. Probably because they know their support for it is hypocritical and can't bring themselves to admit it publicly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Abortion stops a beating heart.

That should explain why I am pro-life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
I'm Pro-Life because the alternative is bloody death.
I'm pro-choice because I know that for many abortion is better than the life they'd live.

I'm pro-choice because I know extreme conservatives only care about the fetus until it's born, then don't want to feed, educate or otherwise support healthy, productive living.

I'm pro-choice because reproductive issues play a major part in women's lives. Men simply do not have the baggage that women do when it comes to children.

I'm pro-choice because I'm a realist.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
This...This is well said. Arguments over how late it should be legal are important, but it needs to be legalized.
It is legal. However, many conservative states have taken measures to make it nearly impossible for women to access their right to abortion.

Dozens of states make it hard to get abortions

Quote:
Patients arriving for abortions at a Granite City, Ill., clinic can expect to find their photographs on an anti-abortion activist's website. And before her abortion in June, a Chicago woman says her own gynecologist refused to offer any advice, fearing that just mentioning abortion could endanger her job at a Catholic hospital.

Quote:
In South Dakota, a new law facing a legal challenge would impose a three-day waiting period. During that time, a woman would have to visit a crisis pregnancy center discouraging abortion. Utah is the only other state with a waiting period that long, but it doesn't require such specific counseling.
Quote:
In July, a federal appeals court in South Dakota upheld a 2005 law requiring doctors to warn that abortions increase risks for suicide. Scientific research disputes this.

Quote:
Across the state to the west in Rapid City, Dr. Marvin Buehner cares for women with high-risk pregnancies and does a few abortions each year when pregnancy endangers the patient's life.

He's required to describe each fetal stage and explain that abortion ends the life of a separate human being even to women whose fetuses have deadly abnormalities and won't survive.

Guttmacher Institute: Home Page

CDC - CDCs Abortion Surveillance System FAQs - Reproductive Health

Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
One must be simplistic when it comes to moral thought- You have to think in black and white eventually. I am pro-life because I asked myself a simple question and answered my self in total honesty. Is surgically removing a human being from the mother and tossing the remains in the medical waste bin a good thing or a bad thing?

My heart and intellect said IT IS A BAD THING.

As we evolve as a society...we will look at back in 100 years at the practice of abortion and say...Good Lord - they really did that back then? How primitive..what were they thinking?

Abortion in time will fall out of fashion and so will the man hate goes along with those who support it.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
The lowest abortion rates on Earth are in Western Europe, where abortion is legal, and sex education/contraceptives/reproductive health options are plentiful.

The highest abortion rates are in Eastern Europe and Asia where abortion is illegal or unregulated, and sex education is not plentiful.

Solid proof that banning abortions has never, and will never reduce abortion rates. It will merely increase them, or increase the botched back alley type.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:17 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
One could say I'm both "pro-life" and "pro-choice", though I would never use either of these simple-minded little labels to describe my stand on such a complex issue. In fact, anyone who thinks the issue isn't complex is probably wrong on some specific point, no matter how much they feel either God or science backs them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am pro-choice and pro-life people are mostly religious nutcases who have absolutely no understanding of Science.

A fetus cannot feel pain until about 24 weeks- it cannot exist on its own without the mother, therefore it is not yet a human being.
It is believed by scientists that the fetus cannot feel pain until about 24 weeks (those who forget that science has been known to get it wrong are the non-thinking scholars, not deserving of a place at the helm), and independence has absolutely nothing to do with what a being is or isn't. That a person gets their food and oxygen through a tube like in the hospital or an umbilical cord like in the womb doesn't change a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This argument about the "beating heart" is like equating a tadpole with a frog- absolute irrational. If abortion was "murder"- people would be serving time for it.
And you know that argument is weak. The law and morality have never been and probably never will be in sync.

I do not believe abortion should be illegal, except perhaps very late-term or partial-birth "abortion", which any person should admit is killing a baby, not even a fetus. But there is no certain fact on what a fetus can or cannot feel or be conscious of, and there is definitely no certain fact on when it/he/she becomes a human being as worthy of life as you and I. I think a woman crosses the line into wrong around the time she aborts a fetus not an embryo. Most everything being formed and now only being built upon sounds as logical a reason to believe around here is the line as any. If she knows she would consider an abortion upon becoming pregnant, she should (and the system should do everything to make it possible for her to) get checked regularly and have the procedure done before the first 8 weeks of pregnancy are up. I've heard all the excuses as to why this may not get done; none of them are any good.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm pro-choice because I know that for many abortion is better than the life they'd live.

I'm pro-choice because I know extreme conservatives only care about the fetus until it's born, then don't want to feed, educate or otherwise support healthy, productive living.

I'm pro-choice because reproductive issues play a major part in women's lives. Men simply do not have the baggage that women do when it comes to children.

I'm pro-choice because I'm a realist.
That is like playing God and imagining that you can clearly see the future and the future of every human being born- "for many abortion is better than the life they'd live"- that is absurd- that is like saying death is better than life. Life in any form is better and superior to death.

If you believe that "extreme conservatives" do not want to feed or educate or in general take care of children and bring them up to be happy and productive people...well maybe YOU the liberal would like to take care of the children? Apparently there are few liberal volunteers also

Reproductive issues? That is so clinical...You say that having babies only effects "women's lives"? Why is that I see this over and over again...This brainwashing and eccentric feminism that is being pushed on woman..to get them to believe that their male counter part has nothing to do with reproduction?

Men do have the "baggage" ...My eldest son lived in the middle east for almost five years...He married and has a child who is less than a year old- My son because of the collapse in the economy..Had to return and is now struggling to bring his child and wife home...I have never seen a young man so distraught over being separated from his child- He has powerful maternal instincts.

So I don't know what you are talking about- I know many men who are more maternal than some woman..so forget that dated sexist thing- Men are also mothers!

You call yourself a realist? You should keep your pro-choice doctrine for yourself and apply it only to your own life and body- What other woman do and what other men do is none of your business...It is not YOU who bore the child...when you are pregnant then you can make your OWN choice- I an sick of people making choices for others.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:39 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That is like playing God and imagining that you can clearly see the future and the future of every human being born- "for many abortion is better than the life they'd live"- that is absurd- that is like saying death is better than life. Life in any form is better and superior to death.
Not really. I killed a lot of tadpoles when I was a child- they all had beating hearts- I don't think I was playing God, I was just a child and to say that if those tadpoles had become frogs, the World would be a better place is ABSURD!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 AM

376 posts, read 652,897 times
Default Outrage in both cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Where`s the outrage from these people when a dozen or so living human beings are gunned down at the movie theater,church,school,etc.? Pro war and pro gun is pro life?
Pro lifers, at least myself is outraged wheterh a gunman kills people are an abortionist comes to kill a baby born alive...either case is abhorrent. Where is your outrage when a baby is born and then killed?? Pro Choiceers are the biggest hypocrits since the beginning of time.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Simply brilliant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/op...-pro-life.html

I'd quote a few key, specific sections, but think it's quite worthwhile to read the article in its entirety.
I understand the logic of what this article is saying. But let me say this, I have no more desire to legislate abortion, then I do to ban 20oz soft drinks.

I'm for freedom, not restriction. I'm pro choice in the fact that, I want my options open, as much as I don't want to limit my neighbors choices, or someone across country. And I, would never support an abortion in my personal life unless there is a rape, birth defect, or hurt my children's mother.

But it isn't my decision to make. If shed ask me mg opinion, I'd give it. But it isn't my body to force anything upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies