Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times

Advertisements

if hostess goes under, some one will buy up the assets of the company, including the recipes, and start producing those items again. and chances are good that it will be done without the unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if hostess goes under, some one will buy up the assets of the company, including the recipes, and start producing those items again. and chances are good that it will be done without the unions.
Hopefully in another state.

Almost half the country is a right to work state, and have done great without Unions. Yes we have to look out for the average worker but you know what.

Modern companies have modern HR departments that are extremely leary of bad press or being sued. So they have fair rules and follow the rules in a fair fashion to protect employees and represent the employee.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,158 times
Belly-up businesses Bush vs. Obama
Quote:
2.1 million

Record number of U.S. bankruptcies, which occurred in 2005 — the worst year in U.S. history — under George W. Bush, and the daily bankruptcy filing rate steadily rose from 2006 until the day Bush left office. By contrast, in 2011, under President Obama’s “failed leadership,” just 1.4 million businesses filed for bankruptcy.
Two options for twinkie makers, Where is Bain Capital when a failing business needs help?
The baker could move their operation to China. And even get reimbursed moving expenses from the US Government.
They can do what Sensata is doing.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-j...b_1967668.html

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 11-16-2012 at 05:12 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
My cousin just lost his job as a barber..ONE JOB LOST
I'm with you, yo-daddy. As long as it's not MY job, it's all good

Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Odd thing, isn't one business going over the cliff, it is tons of business going over the cliff.

Isn't one business laying off employees, it is tons of business laying off employees, not under Bush either, but under the annointed one. One who promised Hope ' Change, first time we got neither, second go round, tried with the catch phrase Forward, and believe me, this ain't moving forward.

If anything sad really, we are going backwards, infact that is what Obama should have run on, vote for me, together we shall move backwards?
I don`t know why anyone would call Obama the "annointed one" but if that`s the way you feel about him that`s your perogative. I just don`t understand why the GOP wanted to move backwards with more tax cuts for those who don`t need them and more unwinnable wars.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,102,658 times
With Hostess, you are not talking about one job, you are talking about 18,500 jobs: Hostess Brands closing for good due to bakers strike - Yahoo! Finance That is a lot of jobs in this economy.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,507 times
Union-busting.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,190 times
We hated them, maligned them, did experiments on them, threw them at nerds in the cafeteria.....

Now they're gonna be gone, we place them on a pedestal, worshiping them.

Damn, this would make a great Futurama episode, doncha think?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
With Hostess, you are not talking about one job, you are talking about 18,500 jobs: Hostess Brands closing for good due to bakers strike - Yahoo! Finance That is a lot of jobs in this economy.

That is what I have also read, elsewhere.

We must recall that Hostess (according to the linked article) first filed for bankruptcy in 2004, coming out in 2009, and then filing again January 2012.

I imagine that part of the problem for Hostess is that with more people trying to eat a little bit more wisely, sales of Twinkies and such are suffering (which seems odd to me, given the obesity rate).

It may be that the huge Mexican bakery Grupo Bimbo, will end up purchasing the company. They already own quite a few recognizable American brands (Sara Lee, and they bought Mrs Baird's bread here in Fort Worth).

Time will tell.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
We hated them, maligned them, did experiments on them, threw them at nerds in the cafeteria.....

Now they're gonna be gone, we place them on a pedestal, worshiping them.

Damn, this would make a great Futurama episode, doncha think?
It would.

The $64,000 question: why were they in such difficult financial straits to begin with?
Could it be because their products were no longer desirable?
I don't suppose that could have anything to do with their closing now, could it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies