Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Philadelphia, they had 100% for Obama.
WRONG. Get your facts straight before you post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Typical leftie....deflect from the FACT that businesses are shutting down in record number because of BO, demonize the business owners, belittle the FACT that businesses are shutting down.

Where are you lefties going to get the money to fund your entitlement programs and welfare class once the successful, hardworking business owners and workers are out of business?

You DO realize that the money will not come from the government, correct?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM

488 posts, read 412,915 times
Bimbos/Orowheat and other non-monotonous-looking 'health' breads killed plain white Wonder Bread and Hostess, Inc. should have realized that Americans all must be atlethes these days and thus dis-allowed from consuming HFCS-laden fat-bombs. The union was simply being a union and now those formerly of the union may have to emigrate to Chengdu if they want to continue seeking employments in manufacturing.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I doubt "so what" was the response of the 110 workers who lost their jobs. And I'm sure your advice to "get a grip" would be inspiring and comforting to them all.
hostess is going to liquidate if the strikers aren't back by 5 PM:

Hostess Brands Inc. is warning striking employees that it will move to liquidate the company if plant operations don't return to normal levels by Thursday evening.

The maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread says it will file a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to shutter operations if enough workers don't return by 5 p.m. EST.

That would result in the loss of about 18,000 jobs.

if they do shut down, it will be a sad christmas for many workers, and i will miss those orange cupcakes.

i looked at their website and didn't realize that they make approximately 500,000,000 Twinkies every year. WOW! (or that some hostess twinkies have chocolate filling)

Old 11-15-2012, 02:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So what, businesses go under all the time.
A major bakery went out of business decades ago in my hometown.
It wasn't necessary any more.
You're saying that not one business went under during Bush?

Holy moley, get a grip.
^^agree.

The far right mantra "let the market decide" isnt working so well now for peddlers of junk food.

LOL. People whining about Papa Johns pizza and Dennys here.

Good riddance to junk food. Anyone eating at those places may live a decade longer if they start buying organic.

Keep up the phony outrage rwnj's.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
^^agree.

The far right mantra "let the market decide" isnt working so well now for peddlers of junk food.

LOL. People whining about Papa Johns pizza and Dennys here.

Good riddance to junk food. Anyone eating at those places may live a decade longer if they start buying organic.

Keep up the phony outrage rwnj's.
you mean good riddance to jobs, don't you? keep up the phony "we care about the workers" lefties, because you sure don't.

the liberal class is now speaking out, and it isn't very worker friendly if they don't like the work being done.

the main message the republicans need to get out there is FREE CHOICE, something the liberals would take away from you if given the chance. (and which you will definitely start seeing in the next 4 years)

as for boycotts, i am fine with them, but i would think the democrats would object because it is LESS REVENUE that they can get.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Less demand for Twinkies these days.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Less demand for Twinkies these days.
so you are saying that they produce 500,000,000 Twinkies every year, but nobody is eating them?

i guess they would have to close down then.

i still will miss those orange cupcakes if they go, and nobody can guilt me into not enjoying them.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Default Similarities With The 1985 Hormel Strike

1985 strike
In August 1985, Hormel workers went on strike at the Hormel headquarters in Austin, Minnesota. In the early 1980s, recession impacted several meatpacking companies, decreasing demand and increasing competition which let smaller and less-efficient companies to go out of business. In an effort to keep plants from closing, many instituted wage cuts. Wilson Food Company declared bankruptcy in 1983, allowing them to cut wages from $10.69 to $6.50 and significantly reduce benefits. Hormel Foods had avoided such drastic action, but by 1985, pressure to stay competitive remained.[6] Workers had already labored under a wage freeze and dangerous working conditions, leading to many cases of repetitive strain injury. When management demanded a 23% wage cut from the workers they decided to begin the strike.[7] It became one of the longest strikes of the 1980s. The strike began with the sanction of the Local of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, P-9. The local chapter of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union P-9 led the strike, but was not supported by their parent union. The strike gained national attention and led to a widely publicized boycott of Hormel products.
After six months, a significant number of strikebreakers crossed the picket line, provoking riots in Austin. On January 21, 1986, the Governor of Minnesota, Rudy Perpich, called in the National Guard to protect the strikebreakers. This brought protests against the governor, and the National Guard withdrew from Austin. The action had a greater effect on the UFCW international, which ousted the local P-9.
The strike ended in June 1986, after lasting 10 months. Over 700 of the workers did not return to their jobs, refusing to cross the picket line. In solidarity with those workers, the boycott of Hormel products continued for some time. Ultimately, however, the company did succeed in hiring new workers at significantly lower wages.
The strike was chronicled in the film American Dream, which won the Academy Award for best documentary in 1990. A song about the strike, entitled "P-9" was written by Dave Pirner of the Minneapolis band Soul Asylum. The song can be found on their 1989 album, Clam Dip & Other Delights.
The strike has also had a Harvard Business School Case written based on it (with assumed names), called "Adam Baxter Co./Local 190" which features multiple rounds of negotiations between unions and management.[8]

Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
so you are saying that they produce 500,000,000 Twinkies every year, but nobody is eating them?

i guess they would have to close down then.

i still will miss those orange cupcakes if they go, and nobody can guilt me into not enjoying them.

I use to know a person who worked for INTERSTATE BAKERY, a parent CO of Hostess, they also own Dolly Madison Brand, well they use too.

I know a lot of business people and know the owner of a huge sucessful vending business. He says that hostess cupcakes, and twinkies, still are a good seller. Maybe with people more self conscious these days, and watching what they eat, they are not as popular. I will too miss them, once in a while something sweet, is good, not to overdue it but once in a while.

I guess so many companies as we know them are a sign of the times. Infact i from my childhoold liked the Hostess Cupcakes so much, i learned how to make my very own, with my own touch, and they are heavenily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies