Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
We hated them, maligned them, did experiments on them, threw them at nerds in the cafeteria.....

Now they're gonna be gone, we place them on a pedestal, worshiping them.

Damn, this would make a great Futurama episode, doncha think?
If you were one of the 18,500 employees losing their jobs you would have a different attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well with the price of food nowdays folks can buy a loaf of hy vee bread for a 1.20 and wonder bread costs 1.99. Guess which loaf they are grabbing. Why the difference in cost? Could it be the wonderful union employees?
I'm sure it's the shipping costs and all the overhead that Hostess has insisted on keeping. That Hi Vee bread I'm sure is baked at some local bakery and transported far fewer miles.

The Hostess idea I think just doesn't work anymore. Diesel fuel has increased how much in the last few years and all that has to go on the product's price. Baked goods I think have to be local products in this new day and age.

In the end, I'm sure Hostess will sell the "Wonderbread" name to local bakeries and you'll still see it on the shelves even though most of the Hostess employees will be gone. Cupcakes, Twinkies, Ho Ho's-I would imagine someone will still make them but it wont be in some big central bakery.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It would.

The $64,000 question: why were they in such difficult financial straits to begin with?
Could it be because their products were no longer desirable?
I don't suppose that could have anything to do with their closing now, could it?

The $64,000 question is "why didn't Obama bail them out like he did GM?"

Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

It may be that the huge Mexican bakery Grupo Bimbo, will end up purchasing the company. They already own quite a few recognizable American brands (Sara Lee, and they bought Mrs Baird's bread here in Fort Worth).
That would be nice for the Twinkie lovers out there. Personally I prefer Bimbo's Mexican snacks. They're yummy.

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
What Hostess should have done years ago was change over to privately owned franchise bakeries, like McDonalds and Wendy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So companies are now doing what they are doing "for revenge" ?
Really..it's turned from numbers and economics to emotion ?

Companies don't act on emotions folks. They act on their numbers and ability to do business and make a profit.

Just consider the source.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So was Woolworth's. The icons of the past are falling on the wayside as society evolves.
Unless Obama bails them out. Remember, he gets to pick and choose winners and losers. He chose GM to win and he chose Hostess to lose. Both companies were failures.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 AM

10,035 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Hostess bakery in Seattle to close - seattlepi.com

The Hostess bakery in Seattle, which makes Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Fruit Pies, etc. is closing down. The bakery is over 100 years old, althought the exact year of inception is in question. A week after election 2012 it is kaput. 110 jobs that paid low-middle class wages, about $15-20 per hour, are gone.

The bakery was somewhat of a local legend because the area was a mecca for prostitutes, who dubbed it the 'Hostess stroll.'

I have a personal connection because 20 years ago I was working at a convenience store when a man tried to rob me. He bought a Hostess fruit pie for a dollar then demanded "the money." Taking note of the bb gun he had shoved way down into his waistband, and my Glock 19 in a quick-draw holster, I declined and chased him out of the store. I kept his dollar--I hope he enjoyed that Hostess fruit pie, a product of the now-closed Seattle plant.
What an idiot, doesn't he know there is 480 calories in those pies? Should of gone for the sno balls which have 360 calories.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
I really loved those fruit pies. I did not know they were in such bad shape financially. I would think some other company will buy the assets, name, brands after they close their doors, and make the products in Mexico.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Unless Obama bails them out. Remember, he gets to pick and choose winners and losers. He chose GM to win and he chose Hostess to lose. Both companies were failures.
Well we all know that the US would have totally collapsed if GM stopped making cars.
Biggest union bailout in the history of the US..that's what that bailout was all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies