Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is generally how i see it.

I'm simply not gonna participate in it. It's ridiculous for people to leave their families on Thanksgiving to go stock shelves at Target.

I just can't understand why Americans are so damn crazy about consumption. Do they ever stop with the goddamn shopping? Geez.
Nope. And according to some us silly ole emotional liberals should understand how important product consumption is to the economy/country. NOT desire to spend time with our families on a national holiday. Product consumption is > families to many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The airlines were operating on Thanksgiving day..they are unionized.
The trains were operating on Thanksgiving day..they are unionized.

Fire/EMS/Police work on Thanksgiving day..they are unionized.
Public Transportation
Fire
EMS
Police

All essential.

Target
Walmart
Convenience stores
Craft stores

Not essential.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee, cashiers can't ask for Thanksgiving off way in advance ?
They need a union to do it for them ?
No, they cannot because most times all cashiers are forced to work the day or management tells you that you will work. Getting a holiday off in retail while the store is open is nearly impossible.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Please explain to me how a living wage works, I have the following questions:

1. Does a single working mother with 2 kids get a higher wage than a single working mother with 1 kid if they both work just as hard?
2. Does a single woman that has a new car and lives in an expensive apartment get a higher wage than a single woman that has an old car with no payments and lives at home with her parents?
3. Does an employee with huge student loan debt get a higher wage than an employee that didn't go to school and has no debt or isn't currently paying for school?
4. What happens if one of the single parents has a child that turns 18 and gets their own job and is now out on their own, does the parent get a cut in pay?
5. Who should pay the difference for the extra labor costs that these wage increases? You the consumer, or should the employer take in less profit now?

Assume all of these people work equally as hard and in the same positions, how do you calculate their "livable wage" for them?
Many of us have answered these questions that you've asked numerous times in other threads. You have not been ignored. Not liking the answers does not constitute being ignored.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I don't know when you worked at Walmart, but few employees have health care there these days.
I work for Walmart now and employees who don't have health care insurance are the ones who CHOOSE not to. It's available to all of them, part time and full time. Do your research.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Good Luck with that.... Nobody is absolutely NOT allowed to take off, call out, or for any reason to be off on Black Friday, Thanksgiving Weekend and during Christmas month of December. They black-out from the calendar months before, and are expected to know that you must work.
That's not true at the Walmart where I work. People who are regularly scheduled off on Thurs. and Fri. WERE off those days. I had last Thanksgiving off but did work Black Friday. I worked both this year; not biggie.

We don't lock the doors prior to the sale starting either. I think they decided it was better to have people roaming the store than to have a stampede at 8 PM. Since the entire day...or more...was spent setting it all up it's not like they were getting in the way of preparations. Everything went VERY well at my store. We do close at 6 PM on Christmas Eve and closed for Christmas.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Excuse me.....but people in those lines of work KNOW they will be working holidays when they take the job......and I am sure there are rules in place regarding who will work holidays rather than a supervisor arbitrarily making that decision.
Oh, are you SURE? Is that what you are? SURE?

I love it when people talk out their...brown eye.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nope. And according to some us silly ole emotional liberals should understand how important product consumption is to the economy/country. NOT desire to spend time with our families on a national holiday. Product consumption is > families to many.
Nah. My family is so important I make time for them ANY DAY OF THE YEAR. Not wait around for some state-sanctioned made-up special day to celebrate my love and thanks for them.
But maybe liberals don't get that. Cuz the gubmint dint tell 'em it was time to love their families.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nah. My family is so important I make time for them ANY DAY OF THE YEAR. Not wait around for some state-sanctioned made-up special day to celebrate my love and thanks for them.
But maybe liberals don't get that. Cuz the gubmint dint tell 'em it was time to love their families.
So you don't celebrate holidays? Because to do so would be listening to the Big Bad Government, right?

You get extra points for insinuating you love your family more than those who like to spend the holidays with their family btw. Classic internet message board move.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My mother's as liberal as they come, and has been saying that my whole life... she doesn't even LIKE doing anything for Mother's Day, and always tells us "we can have lunch/brunch any time, and I know you love me all year." So it's not just a liberal vs conservative thing, although I know you partisan types like to make everything as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies