Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
While you on the other hand would apparently rather subsidize a wealthy corporation and the Walton family (whose members all together have as much wealth as the bottom 40 % of all Americans.)

I'd prefer to see Walmart pay their workers enough so they don't have to rely on public assistance even if it means the Waltons add a few less billions to their fortunes.

But, go ahead, support the rich.
I last set foot in Walmart when they sold "Made in America". When that ended so did my shopping at Walmart.

But millions upon millions of other Americans didn't feel that way hence that is why Walmart is the #1 employer in the US.

What an aspiration to our future adults..aspire to work for the #1 employer in the US..at min wage.
Americans are supporting Walmart and it's operations when they shop there day after day after day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You won't get an answer. Talking points don't have any details. They are just repeated by their followers.
Quote:
The same way the government does. It looks at an average family and has very moderate allowances for food and shelter.
Looks like HappyTexan was right. You've got absolutely no idea how to accomplish this Utopian dream of yours because it is not at all logically possible.

The simple fact that you cant address even one of the scenarios I presented should tell you that this whole "livable wage" concept is a pipe dream. Sounds great until you actually give three seconds of thought to how you would actually implement it.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And working Thanksgiving wasn't forced upon them at the whim of their employers.....working Thanksgiving was negotiated and agreed upon ahead of time.
What flavor of crack are you smoking?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I last set foot in Walmart when they sold "Made in America". When that ended so did my shopping at Walmart.

But millions upon millions of other Americans didn't feel that way hence that is why Walmart is the #1 employer in the US.

What an aspiration to our future adults..aspire to work for the #1 employer in the US..at min wage.
Americans are supporting Walmart and it's operations when they shop there day after day after day.
I literally just got back from Walmart, and don't feel the least bit guilty about it... when Safeway, CVS, and 7-11 (and other post-9pm shopping options) start charging competitive prices, maybe then I'll care about who I'm supporting. Until then, I have to think of my own budget first.

Bottom line, if the "less evil" corporations want to compete with places like Walmart, they might want to start matching or even coming close to their prices. Besides, what store DOES only sell "Made in USA" products these days? I generally limit my food products to local/domestic stuff, usually from Trader Joe's or small businesses - but when it comes to most other items, I'd be stupid to spend 2x the price at Safeway across the street.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-26-2012 at 12:10 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Well maybe if Walmart paid a living wage these people wouldn't have to survive on food stamps and Medicaid. The taxpayers are in effect subsidizing Walmart, which made $15 billion in profit last year.

Wal-Mart Welfare How taxpayers subsidize the world's largest retailer. by Jenna Wright

Daily Kos: Walmart: America's real 'Welfare Queen'
wallyworld pays about the same as every other department store

IN FACT walmart pays BETTER than Macy's

Walmart, by the way, has one fringe benefit, or one attribute that’s a little unusual in the industry. It does have a large number of its employees that own common stock in the company, which makes it somewhat different than some of the others. And there seems to be some high level of loyalty to the company, on average, for example, the turnover rates of Walmart employees are really not out of line with industry standards.

so the real question is why arent you badmouthing macy's, bloomingdales, penny's, belk, sterns, target, stein mart, talberts, etc

whats your actual agenda

Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Well as long as you have a logical explanation for your stance. I run my errands when I have time, I don't need you or the government picking an arbitrary day every week where I cant get stuff done.
I don't care when you run your errands. I said that retailers need to shut the hell down for one day a week. When you run your errands is your business. I'm not picking anything. Hell, i don't even know you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You can really work things like that out without a middle man getting a cut of your paycheck.
Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. It's their money. Why should you care?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't care when you run your errands. I said that retailers need to shut the hell down for one day a week.
But should that one day be chosen by the government, or by the retailers themselves? And should they all be closed on the SAME day? That's why it does matter when we run our errands, since I'm sure we all have different schedules... and what is convenient for one might not be convenient for another. So if your only day off happens to be Sunday, it's rather annoying to find everything closed - some things, fine, but not everything!

P.S. Sorry if these questions have already been addressed, but I don't feel like reading all 50+ pages of the thread.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Why should retailers be shut down on any day? That makes no sense to me.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:00 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What flavor of crack are you smoking?
Excuse me.....but people in those lines of work KNOW they will be working holidays when they take the job......and I am sure there are rules in place regarding who will work holidays rather than a supervisor arbitrarily making that decision.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ooooh..I see.

So they DID have time to report that company, as Harrier mentioned.......lots of time, it appears.
I find it funny that you are so bent on proving that big corporations are not unfair to their employees and that employees couldn't possibly be coerced into (a) working more hours than are legal and (b) be afraid to report management.

This is why retail workers need to unite and form unions. Power in numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies