Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 06:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In your city.... what would that take to live ? Tell us what you think that Taco Bell order taker should be earning.

Be specific please, not vague. How much $$ ?

Well I'm going to rely on the experts, according to the MIT living wage calculator:

$8.28 / hr

based on expenses as follows:
food $242
medical $112
Housing $499
Tranportation $318
Other $67

required monthly income before taxes $1,238
After taxes $14,856
Annual taxes $2,371
Required income before taxes $17,227

According to this site employees in my community working in "Food Preparation and Serving Related" make $8.57 an hour

http://livingwage.mit.edu/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In 40+ years, I have only been represented by a labor union once, and I worked that job for about a year. I have had good supervisors and bad when it comes to "working things like that out". I'd give anything for a good set of work rules, union or no union.

Some of the non-union places I worked had policies such as, no more than a certain # of days off at Christmas so that everyone could get some time off; everyone has to work either Christmas or New Year's (in some places Thanksgiving was substituted for NY); etc.

Currently, my boss seems to follow "the squeaky wheel" theory, ie someone who kicks up a huge fuss will get what she wants, regardless of the circumstances. In fairness to her, she sometimes works an extra day herself to "keep the peace". But she knows who won't complain (too much anyway) and who will.
Quote:
You still haven't looked at my post, #500.

And Costco has fewer employees per unit of sale, b/c it's almost all self-service.
Yes I did read it. You said nothing about the work rules at your one union job.....you did say things were never certain in your non union jobs however.

I am saying when there is a union, work rules concerning holidays are spelled out clearly.....they are not up to the whim of a supervisor.

So, what is your point?

Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
The union job was so long ago I don't remember the rules. I only worked there a year. My point was that union or no, work rules are needed or it ends up like my current job with everyone scrambling and carping at and about each other.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
The union job was so long ago I don't remember the rules. I only worked there a year. My point was that union or no, work rules are needed or it ends up like my current job with everyone scrambling and carping at and about each other.
So we do agree that work rules should be in writing, union or non union, so less than savory supervisors can't abuse their position. Makes short work of those squeaky wheels too.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well I'm going to rely on the experts, according to the MIT living wage calculator:

$8.28 / hr

food $242
medical $112
Housing $499
Tranportation $318
Other $67

After taxes $14,856
Annual taxes $2,371

According to this site employees in my community working in "Food Preparation and Serving Related" make $8.57 an hour

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator
Yikes... in my area, that monthly income (even BEFORE) taxes wouldn't even cover rent on a 1br apartment. I guess that's why our local minimum wage is higher, I believe around $10/hr right now; but even that's not enough to sustain a single-income household/individual.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I consider any store that will not let its employees at least have off Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter to be a Scrooge store and I don't do business with Scrooge.
How do you know those employees didn't OFFER to work? Maybe they don't celebrate and/or don't care about the holidays, and wanted the extra pay? That's how things went when I worked in a small retail shop, and thanks to the resident Jew (me) and another non-celebrator who volunteered, nobody else was pressured into working Christmas & Easter. Besides, anyone who has a problem with working occasional holidays shouldn't be in the retail business. My field requires regular nights & weekends, which is stated very clearly at the top of any related application... if you fail to read or understand that fact before applying, don't start whining when you're scheduled on a weekend.

Now, if people are being forced to work despite being told otherwise (i.e. the boss promised they'd get it off), I agree that is not fair. But it's not my business to run, so I generally won't even notice or care what they do... as with most things, I try focusing on my own life instead of nosing into other people's lives.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 PM

Back in the early seventies, I worked in the office at a K Mart for three years. I always volunteered for holidays and weekends.

Many times in my later years, when I worked in a job that was M-F......I always wished I could get a weekday off without using a personal day. It is hard to get anything done or repaired at home when you don't have a weekday off. Many businesses like lumber yards, nurseries, etc. have short hours on Sat. and are closed on Sunday too.

In my ideal work week, I would have liked Friday and Saturday.....or Sunday and Monday off.

Better yet, 4 ten hour days.....and three days off.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

$8.28 / hr

food $242
medical $112
Housing $499
Tranportation $318
Other $67

After taxes $14,856
Annual taxes $2,371

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator
According to my math, that says they're making a little more than a "living wage".
So your argument now is........?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good. Then don't take holidays off.

Of course, your post is nonsense. You cherish the holidays just like everyone else.

You right wingers are amazing, lemme tell ya. You say all this crap on websites, but in the end you're just like everyone else.
I love how you go to insults and put-downs when you have no coherent answer.
I just said that while I like certain holidays, I don't have some stupid, obsessive attachment to a made up day on a made up date that we're supposed to celebrate for made up reasons.

Last edited by stan4; 11-27-2012 at 02:40 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 02:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I consider any store that will not let its employees at least have off Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter to be a Scrooge store and I don't do business with Scrooge.

Get real.
Most of the planet isn't christian and could give a rat's patootie about xmas and easter.
Stop making it more inconvenient for everyone else by shutting everything down. Unless you're prepared to shut down for every other major holiday of everyone else's religions.
This is exactly why religion needs to be kept to yourself. I very much respect religion and believe in god, but people like to poop it all over everyone else and affect others' lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies