Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Excuse me.....but people in those lines of work KNOW they will be working holidays when they take the job......and I am sure there are rules in place regarding who will work holidays rather than a supervisor arbitrarily making that decision.
Please see below, which was posted prior to your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In 40+ years, I have only been represented by a labor union once, and I worked that job for about a year. I have had good supervisors and bad when it comes to "working things like that out". I'd give anything for a good set of work rules, union or no union.

Some of the non-union places I worked had policies such as, no more than a certain # of days off at Christmas so that everyone could get some time off; everyone has to work either Christmas or New Year's (in some places Thanksgiving was substituted for NY); etc.

Currently, my boss seems to follow "the squeaky wheel" theory, ie someone who kicks up a huge fuss will get what she wants, regardless of the circumstances. In fairness to her, she sometimes works an extra day herself to "keep the peace". But she knows who won't complain (too much anyway) and who will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nah. My family is so important I make time for them ANY DAY OF THE YEAR. Not wait around for some state-sanctioned made-up special day to celebrate my love and thanks for them.
But maybe liberals don't get that. Cuz the gubmint dint tell 'em it was time to love their families.
Good. Then don't take holidays off.

Of course, your post is nonsense. You cherish the holidays just like everyone else.

You right wingers are amazing, lemme tell ya. You say all this crap on websites, but in the end you're just like everyone else.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,668,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wallyworld pays about the same as every other department store

IN FACT walmart pays BETTER than Macy's

Walmart, by the way, has one fringe benefit, or one attribute that’s a little unusual in the industry. It does have a large number of its employees that own common stock in the company, which makes it somewhat different than some of the others. And there seems to be some high level of loyalty to the company, on average, for example, the turnover rates of Walmart employees are really not out of line with industry standards.

so the real question is why arent you badmouthing macy's, bloomingdales, penny's, belk, sterns, target, stein mart, talberts, etc

whats your actual agenda
How do you know that Macy's pays better than Walmart?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,668,360 times
Definitions for living wage:

"In Australia, the 1907 Harvester Judgment ruled that an employer was obliged to pay his employees a wage that guaranteed them a standard of living which was reasonable for "a human being in a civilised community" to live in "frugal comfort estimated by current... standards,"

In public policy, a living wage or subsistence wage is the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet basic needs (for an extended period of time or for a lifetime). These needs include shelter (housing) and other incidentals such as clothing and nutrition. In some nations such as the United Kingdom and Switzerland, this standard generally means that a person working forty hours a week, with no additional income, should be able to afford a specified quality or quantity of housing, food, utilities, transport, health care, and recreation."

Living wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,082,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh, are you SURE? Is that what you are? SURE?

I love it when people talk out their...brown eye.
Are you saying fire/EMS/police just flip a coin to schedule their work days?.....Or ask their supervisor: "Oh, by the way, am I working this Thanksgiving?"

Yes, if there is a major fire, riot, accident, emergency workers may be called into work on their scheduled day off.....but isn't that the case in many other professions also? A person scheduled to work gets sick or is in a car accident so someone is called into work to fill in? Really, I didn't think I had to spell that out, but I guess in your case, it's necessary.

Judging by your last comment, you must ask your teacher or your Mom which days you get to stay home.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,589,554 times
All retailers pays very low wage, except for few companies like Costco, and high-end stores.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,631,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
All retailers pays very low wage, except for few companies like Costco, and high-end stores.
Average pay at Walmart is near $12/hour. Not bad for stocking shelves.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,320,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The same way the government does. It looks at an average family and has very moderate allowances for food and shelter.
So someone should be paid by how much they need but not how hard they work or their skills ???

Sounds very communistic to me. Somebody can sit on their fat butt, do no labor and be paid a wage higher than someone more qualified.

Pure stupidity.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,631,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So someone should be paid by how much they need but not how hard they work or their skills ???

Sounds very communistic to me. Somebody can sit on their fat butt, do no labor and be paid a wage higher than someone more qualified.

Pure stupidity.
Yes, it's communism. And they want the government to somehow mandate it.
But they don't want government to own the means of production because to them, that is communism.

This is what Americans are taught now in school...no more individualism. "The Collective" and "we".

Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Are you saying fire/EMS/police just flip a coin to schedule their work days?.....Or ask their supervisor: "Oh, by the way, am I working this Thanksgiving?"

Yes, if there is a major fire, riot, accident, emergency workers may be called into work on their scheduled day off.....but isn't that the case in many other professions also? A person scheduled to work gets sick or is in a car accident so someone is called into work to fill in? Really, I didn't think I had to spell that out, but I guess in your case, it's necessary.

Judging by your last comment, you must ask your teacher or your Mom which days you get to stay home.
You still haven't looked at my post, #500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
And Costco has fewer employees per unit of sale, b/c it's almost all self-service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies