Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,362,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Retail employees are essential to the retail industry on the biggest shopping days of the year. I'm not in the police, fire or medical industry but I still have to work on certain holidays. Why? Because that's how the industry I work in works. Same with retail.

Martha Stewart worked on Thanksgiving. She was all over live TV. I bet she wasn't wining.
Retail is not essential to the running of a society. I suppose if your average retail worker had the power, money and clout Martha Stewart has they wouldn't complain either.

I don't know what your industry is, so I can't comment on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,058,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I can, but I won't. I don't give out identifying information on this site. I know full well that I am stating the truth. I have better things to do than lie on an internet message board to "win" a "debate".
Forcing someone to work against their will is a federal crime, it is known as involuntary servitude.

Are you doing anything to rescue these supposed "slaves" from their "masters"?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,664,491 times
Quote:
Since I have a feeling I'm simply chasing my tail by engaging with you, I'll simply state I've relayed experiences of people I know in retail. I know that I'm not lying and that's good enough for me. If you feel I'm lying, oh well. What can I do? I'm not going to give you all my personal information so you can validate whether what I say is true or not on an internet message board. Please feel free to come back at me with more personal attacks and nastiness. None of that changes the fact that I know these things happen and anyone who has worked in retail knows it happens too.

Not sure I understand, has any of this every happened to you personally?

Not your best friend's brothers cousin's summercamp bunkmate, type of friend?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Forcing someone to work against their will is a federal crime, it is known as involuntary servitude.

Are you doing anything to rescue these supposed "slaves" from their "masters"?
Again, this is getting silly. If you can't see the difference between a police officer or EMT working on the holiday and a cashier at Target, I can't help you.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:38 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,664,491 times
Quote:
Retail is not essential to the running of a society. I suppose if your average retail worker had the power, money and clout Martha Stewart has they wouldn't complain either.

I don't know what your industry is, so I can't comment on that.

Off hand, how will retail pay its employees if people do not shop at the stores? With good hopes and intentions?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Not sure I understand, has any of this every happened to you personally?

Not your best friend's brothers cousin's summercamp bunkmate, type of friend?
As stated pages back, it happened to several of my friends but the one I was referring to worked at an electronics retailer last year. They had to leave the dinner we had to go to sleep to work at 9PM on Thanksgiving evening. They were supposed to be able to leave at noon on Friday but were "asked" (aka coerced) into working til 9PM Friday night.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,058,814 times
Quote:
Retail is not essential to the running of a society.
You keep saying that police are essential though - but you haven't yet explained how. You have used a circular argument, stating that emergencies and crime don't stop for a holiday, but haven't explained why individuals paid by the government are neccesary to deal with such things.

Quote:
Again, this is getting silly. If you can't see the difference between a police officer or EMT working on the holiday and a cashier at Target, I can't help you.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Off hand, how will retail pay its employees if people do not shop at the stores? With good hopes and intentions?
How does retail pay its employees when the store is closed at night? How did retail pay it's employees when stores were closed on Sundays and holidays? Simple: They paid the employees for the days the store was open and made a profit. That's usually how it works.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,164,005 times
Quote:
You keep saying that police are essential though - but you haven't yet explained how. You have used a circular argument, stating that emergencies and crime don't stop for a holiday, but haven't explained why individuals paid by the government are neccesary to deal with such things.
Is this your roundabout way of arguing for privatizing the police and fire departments?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You haven't explained who will attend to a car accident on Thanksgiving afternoon if no one is on duty in the police dept, fire dept, EMT and hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies