Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
An almost comical response. I don't support the stores being open through the traditional Thanksgiving meal. To my knowledge, almost no stores were.
Nope, they opened at 8 or 9PM last night, assigned workers to work overnight thereby forcing their workers to sleep through the traditional meal and celebration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,199 times
Quote:
This just means that you haven't developed a product that works or you're manufacturing & supply side needs to be improved. Why not be innovative and develop cheaper materials that are energy-efficient? Going in that direction makes you Henry Ford. Just saying that the market cannot afford it as it is now and moving onto something else makes you a minimum wage retail employee.
Wait a second, we now have a bubble person lecturing others on being more "innovative?" Gee whiz, you really are "passionate" aren't you?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, I called your response almost comical. The sheer idea of people working an industry they don't have passion for and then complaining about it.

You suggested their goal is to make money to survive. Working on Thanksgiving supports that goal.
This is really getting silly. Number one, as comet said, many people don't work in their desired job because of necessity. They have to make a living - that doesn't make it their passion. It makes the job a necessity. While most ethical workers do well even in jobs they are not passionate about, it doesn't mean they LOVE it. Just because workers need money doesn't mean they should have to bend over and take it from corporations for a paycheck. There should be a mutual respect between worker and employer.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nope, they opened at 8 or 9PM last night, assigned workers to work overnight thereby forcing their workers to sleep through the traditional meal and celebration.
Yep, and it just becomes another race to the bottom. Target opened at 9 PM this year, so it will be 8 PM next year. Eventually, it will simply be expected that the peons work on Thanksgiving. Would you like to know what most District Team Leaders at Target were doing at that time? Ah, but they "earned" that right, did they not?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
This is really getting silly. Number one, as comet said, many people don't work in their desired job because of necessity. They have to make a living - that doesn't make it their passion. It makes the job a necessity. While most ethical workers do well even in jobs they are not passionate about, it doesn't mean they LOVE it. Just because workers need money doesn't mean they should have to bend over and take it from corporations for a paycheck. There should be a mutual respect between worker and employer.
I put forth 100% effort at my jobs because it is a point of personal pride, not because I necessarily "love" the job. He seem to be under the misconception that the only way one can put forth maximum effort is if that individual has a "passion" for the job.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I put forth 100% effort at my jobs because it is a point of personal pride, not because I necessarily "love" the job. He seem to be under the misconception that the only way one can put forth maximum effort is if that individual has a "passion" for the job.
Very true. I am the same way - even in my volunteer work where I am not being paid. I give my all because I have pride in myself and in my name.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. Should the retail industry have to be open to meet their goals in providing customers the shopping experience they desire, employers should respectfully pay their employees while employees respectfully do the job they are hired to do.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I agree 100%. Should the retail industry have to be open to meet their goals in providing customers the shopping experience they desire, employers should respectfully pay their employees while employees respectfully do the job they are hired to do.
That's not what I meant and you know it. Of course, I suppose it's easier to twist people's words to fit your own POV rather than argue your point logically.

Quote:
Very true. I am the same way - even in my volunteer work where I am not being paid. I give my all because I have pride in myself and in my name.
It is more a glimpse into the souls of those who operate under this misconception than those of us who give the effort regardless if we love it. I would guess you also witnessed what happened when such folks found themselves in the retail world. I know I did.

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I'm not correlating effort to passion at all. I said it's a conflict of interest between the employer and the employee if they both don't have the same goals. The goal of the retail industry is to provide an excellent shopping experience to customers. I think everyone who worked yesterday and is working today is doing a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies