Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Matthew Chapter 6

Quote:
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Quote:
16"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 17But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

IOW, you have no clue what's in this man's heart but because he doesn't boast or use his spiritual beliefs to profit, you accuse him of blasphemy. AMAZING. No, not amazing - disturbing and hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Then why ask a non-existen being to "bless" America? Isn't the President whom you cheer on being double-minded or -- worse -- deluded?
Yes, he is. As it happens I didn't vote for the man, but at least I'm confident that he doesn't believe in sacred undergarments.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:08 PM

213 posts, read 404,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
This is stirring a lot of heat. What Obama should be doing is inserting 'Thanking God' back in the Thanksgiving Address. To do so would be respecting the founders traditions and heritage.President Washington thanked God in 1789. President Washington and all of the other Founders did everything they could to secure the blessings of God for our country. What Obama has done is shear blasphemy: For Fourth Straight Year, Obama's Thanksgiving Message Doesn't Thank God
Well I, for one, emphatically thanked God that Obama won the election.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:07 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well, apparently you missed the point. You might have earned 100% of what you worked for but you certainly couldn't be taxed at 100% along with all of your fellow citizens and pay for what you obligated yourselves to.

God won't be coming out to help you or turn your water into wine or to pay for any of those obligations, you're on your own Jack.
No, I didn't miss the point. What I am missing though, is point you were trying to make with the above non-nonsensical post. I have no idea what you are saying.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Fake outrage once again from the right, no wonder yall lost the election. Keep it up and you will lose again in 2014 and 2016.
Where did the OP ever state their political affiliation?

I know several Democrats who are upset that the president hasn't mentioned God in these addresses.

Why do liberals subtly insist that its members be atheist?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
You know what blasphemy means, right?

blas·phe·my(blsf-m)
n. pl. blas·phe·mies 1. a. A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
b. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.

2. An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.

Obama did not commit blasphemy, in anyone's definition of the word.

you got to the point quickly, they don't even understand the terms they use... and probably not even the religion they profess.

it was kind of you to try to educate, however it likely will be futile.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What does Thanksgiving have to do with God?
The best we can come up with is the GOD factor..that all things that exist are generated out of this factor. It is good to be thankful to God for everything in existence..but when you sit down to eat with family..be thankful for the person who grew the grain to feed the turkey...who planted and picked the grapes for your wine...for that mother and father that worked everyday to put that roof over your head...I believe in God...but it might be time instead of saying God bless America...that people start blessing people...God might just be tired of people who ask HIM to bless but do not bless themselves and others..time to give God a break and take responsibility for our fellow man and woman and child.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Oh boo hoo!!! He didn't mention invisible sky daddy! How ever will we pull through????
That typical rhetoric about "sky daddy"...or sky mummy is really irksome...and the "invisible" part...lots of things are visible...all of creation is visible...If you can't see that maybe you are blind and want to be blind- No one knows if God exists or not-- and they will never know....The SKY DADDY is my daddy and it's better than having NO daddy...

Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 PM

It takes intelligence to understand the concept of God--right now intelligence is not a popular thing...so Obama and his speech writers go with what is popular...they think that being an atheists is sophisticated and might get them a few votes...Obama goes big on gay marriage...and now he does not want to offend the atheists...so he drops GOD for political reasons...Maybe he figures that kicking God out might get him some more power...I am sure if he is giving a speech in the bible belt he will insert GOD....Obama likes to use god when it suits him

Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Yes, he is. As it happens I didn't vote for the man, but at least I'm confident that he doesn't believe in sacred undergarments.
Nobody does. Apparently you know very little about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It takes intelligence to understand the concept of God--right now intelligence is not a popular thing...so Obama and his speech writers go with what is popular...they think that being an atheists is sophisticated and might get them a few votes...Obama goes big on gay marriage...and now he does not want to offend the atheists...so he drops GOD for political reasons...Maybe he figures that kicking God out might get him some more power...I am sure if he is giving a speech in the bible belt he will insert GOD....Obama likes to use god when it suits him
He's a master at pleasing the audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies