Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Here we go again with the "sky god" rhetoric. "Thank science?" - so a scientist sat down one day and invented the universe and all of eternity? The miracle of life is a mystery. No one knows for sure how it started...but we did not make ourselves - that is for sure. In the end..we all sit in diapers if we are lucky and wired up on morphine...no one is anything more than a helpless baby in the beginning and in the end...In the mean time- I ask only for mercy from a creator...cos YOU people will not be there for me in the end...I will have no one but God...whether he exists or not- HE is still more reliable than YOU.
In the end, you're dead. You need not anyone. "God" is just a character you made up to explain a mystery. No one is suggesting that scientists created anything. They are only discovering something. But the creation of the universe in itself, is science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey- What do you expect from a commie Muslim who hates America. I am surprised he did not take a dump on the Lincoln Memorial to celebrate Thanksgiving.
In the way your constant rants take a dump on the concept of democracy and the principles the US is based on?

Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But why thank an imaginary creature? I understand that science has no feelings so thanking something like "God" won't offend it, but why not just be straight up and accurate and thank science for the miracle of life? No reason to beat around the bush.

The president has real things to be thankful for. Let him focus on those. He'll get to made-up things later on maybe.
"Made up things"...you got that right..politicians have been making things up for centuries.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Op, yawn.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
These kinds of posts are just getting more and more pitiful. It should start to get very embarrassing for some people at this point. I'm surprised the Secret Service has not paid you a visit yet.
When you have citizens indirectly threatening other citizens they don't agree with - with the Secret Service...it gives one pause to worry..So do those who gloat in the Obama electoral victory imagine themselves all powerful these days with their own little dictator a their beckon and command?

Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Here we go again with the "sky god" rhetoric. "Thank science?" - so a scientist sat down one day and invented the universe and all of eternity? The miracle of life is a mystery. No one knows for sure how it started...but we did not make ourselves - that is for sure. In the end..we all sit in diapers if we are lucky and wired up on morphine...no one is anything more than a helpless baby in the beginning and in the end...In the mean time- I ask only for mercy from a creator...cos YOU people will not be there for me in the end...I will have no one but God...whether he exists or not- HE is still more reliable than YOU.
Ever occur to any of you that expressing "thankfulness" is really an expression of humility so you can remember that you are not without fault, and to whomever or whatever you're giving thanks is NOT THE POINT because there is not likely anyone out there doing good things for some people and BAD things to other people?. The point is we all contribute, working together we all make the world a better place, and no matter how great you think you are, you should still take out the garbage to remember that you are BOTH great and small.

Thankfulness should be to all the people who try very hard to nourish the positive side of who we are. WE ALL have positive and negative aspects. It's important which attitudes you nourish.

And let me say, "thank goodness" Obama didn't thank god/God.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,823,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Those "controversial aspects" are the very foundation of the document that purports to be the "infallible word of god". That they have proven demonstrably false destroys the credibility of the entire document.
I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they accept an argument based on the authority of the speaker except in very special situations, and this is not one of those situations. So, your attack on the credibility of the Bible isn't relevant to my belief system.

The foundation of Christianity for me is the call of my conscience, not a document. Because I will never be able to assimilate all the lessons of the Bible, when I encounter something that is difficult for me to understand and I can't get any grip on the concept as helping me in my Christianity, then I move on to a new lesson that is better suited to where I am in my development.

So, what you're arguing isn't suited to me; it's suited to a person who is forcing their beliefs onto you. I just say that Christianity is a rock onto which one can hold during a storm and on which one can stand on clear days if one chooses to apply it as such.

Quote:
I believe there is a larger reality that created this one. It's just that the source of all is not spoken for by the bible, nor any other so-called "holy" book on the face of the planet. They are just falsehoods designed to separate humanity into "us" (the special "chosen ones", as if the creator favors one people over another) vs. "them".
If you want to see God, go to a poor church this Sunday.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey- What do you expect from a commie Muslim who hates America. I am surprised he did not take a dump on the Lincoln Memorial to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Still bitter I see............

Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Still waiting for the Obama speech transcripts...did you have to go all the way back to 1985 before you could find a president mentioning god on thanksgiving?
I can hardly wait for the Christmas card threads..........

Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
When you have citizens indirectly threatening other citizens they don't agree with - with the Secret Service...it gives one pause to worry..So do those who gloat in the Obama electoral victory imagine themselves all powerful these days with their own little dictator a their beckon and command?
Nuts who continue to post over and over and over again how horrific the President is, calling him the most reprehensible names, certainly starts to sound like a pretty loose cannon. That much HATRED of the human being who is President is far, far outside the norm.

I didn't threaten Hawkeye with the Secret Service. Do you really think that these kinds of political forums are
not in some way monitored for specific words? If so, you could be a very naive person.

I'm not into dictators actually, and Obama is not even in the universe of being a dictator. I have, however, met and interviewed certifiable nuts in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies