Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,145 times

Advertisements

I understand she was a thief, but dang, he should have read the plates, and call the cops. I think he took it a bit over the top. He also probably did not see the children in the back seat. I hope retrieving that $10 dress and .99 candy bars was worth taking out someone. But hey, she was playing with fire, and they should always weigh the consequences of their actions before partaking in potential dangerous activities.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I'm a veteran of two different USA Military Services and know Sworn Law Enforcement Officers and have some in my family....they train you at the academy not to over react to a very minor crime , and not to fire on vehicle with children or babies in them over a minor crime like "SHOPLIFTING"......
Do YOU know that the officer in question without a doubt knew there was a child in the car. When the driver attempted to run over the officer in an attempt to flee, the incident was no longer just about shoplifting.. It was about attempted vehicular homicide. The shoplifting then became secondary.. I too am a veteran. I have been in stressful, and in fact insane situations. I know how quickly things can happen and what happens to the human mind under such circumstances. The bottom line is, without the initial crime, there would have been no shots ever fired and this young woman would have gone home with her children.. She made the decision with full knowledge that it could go badly to go ahead and commit that crime. She and her acompliss made the decision to escalate the situation. The officer in question reacted... Would I have handled it differently? I can't in all honesty say that I know... Fact is, neither can you...

Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post

All he had to do is let it go. These women would have been caught and dealt with accordingly.
I'm pretty sure you missed most of the story.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How do you PROVE that someone shoplifted?

How do you PROVE that someone stole from you?

A camera showing someone stuffing items into their purse is suggestive, but they can SAY they took the items out and left them on shelves elsewhere in the store. The surveillance isn't 100%. To convict, you need EVIDENCE---like the merchandise, for instance. They knew they'd been spotted. If they left, you think they would have held on to the EVIDENCE of their crime?
They would've been caught by Houston Police or Harris County Sheriff Officer before they could dump the stuff.....

Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
I understand she was a thief, but dang, he should have read the plates, and call the cops. I think he took it a bit over the top. He also probably did not see the children in the back seat. I hope retrieving that $10 dress and .99 candy bars was worth taking out someone. But hey, she was playing with fire, and they should always weigh the consequences of their actions before partaking in potential dangerous activities.

I agree. And I'm not cheering the fact that she was shot and killed by any means. However; she has a history of breaking the law, and if you continue to partake in criminal activities, you also increase your chances of getting hurt, or well.... being killed.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,642 times
A loss prevention officer at a department store once told me that he handcuffed an 8 months pregnant employee who stole from the store and paraded her for everyone to see. LPOs usually have that kind of attitude, I don't why. Anyway, it was her choice to shoplift and I'm pretty sure that was ready to face the consequences of her decisions.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
They would've been caught by Houston Police or Harris County Sheriff Officer before they could dump the stuff.....
If you have that much confidence in the Houston PD or the Harris County Sherrifs office, you couldn't possibly live in Houston...

Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am constantly amazed the someone thinks that about to get run over is OK, but shooting the person trying to kill them is "Summary Execution".

It's called self preservation. The person who was shot, chose to put the car in reverse, and attempt to run over someone.

Personally, I see it as suicide by Cop.

Had the person who threw the car in reverse and attempted to run the Sheriff over, simply placed the car in park, and allowed the search and arrest to take place, you and I wouldn't be having this discussion.
There was no need for the cop to go over to the car and open the door. They have means to apprehend people who've committed a crime after the fact. He put himself in danger, if he didn't see the kids that were actually in the car, then he wouldn't have seen the potential dude in the back seat with a shotgun, either. It's idiocy to go that far for the sake of some stolen goods.

And it's pure speculation that by putting the car into reverse and trying to back out she was intending to kill the officer.

Nobody knows any of that, that's what trials are for.

Seeing as he missed the driver completely and killed the passenger who was not even in control of the vehicle, perhaps we'll find out. She's alive to face the consequences.

My point is, not that the thieves weren't in the wrong, but that a cop who is charged with protecting the public is the one that should know better and needs to act with common sense. Which would have been to use the means at their disposal to arrest and prosecute with proper backup and precautions, not to throw yourself at someone in a car and then fire like some cowboy sheriff. It's Wal*Mart, not Deadwood.

The cops need to act more intelligently than the dumb arse shoplifters who perpetrate crimes with kids in tow.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Do YOU know that the officer in question without a doubt knew there was a child in the car. When the driver attempted to run over the officer in an attempt to flee, the incident was no longer just about shoplifting.. It was about attempted vehicular homicide. The shoplifting then became secondary.. I too am a veteran. I have been in stressful, and in fact insane situations. I know how quickly things can happen and what happens to the human mind under such circumstances. The bottom line is, without the initial crime, there would have been no shots ever fired and this young woman would have gone home with her children.. She made the decision with full knowledge that it could go badly to go ahead and commit that crime. She and her acompliss made the decision to escalate the situation. The officer in question reacted... Would I have handled it differently? I can't in all honesty say that I know... Fact is, neither can you...
And for all you know, she was already backing out of the space when he opened the car door trying to force her to stop.

I hope there is video of this altercation.

It is so funny when 'your side' constantly accuses 'my side' of NOT BEING THERE BUT KNOWING WHAT HAPPENED, because, guess what, YOU WEREN'T THERE EITHER. Yet 'your side' is just as sure of your conclusion as 'my side'.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Shoot the tires? Really? and if you miss shooting the tires, where does the bullet go? Don't watch Starsky and Hutch reruns.. They will give you a false sense of the capabilities of LE.
This Officer capabilities are Pretty Low It Appears To Me , and if you were in the car next to the perpetrator you could've been killed ( or your 8 month old daughter ) got the picture...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies