Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 PM

670 posts, read 905,777 times

Advertisements

On a different note, why would the police handcuff the brother of the shooter and lead him away like a suspect? Overkill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Are you kidding?

It seems almost every month there is a person going on a shooting rampage or attempting to go on a rampage and being killed in our country. I definitely don't think it is only an issue of guns being available. Why are these people seemingly so desensitized to killing and violence? My reaction today was "again?"

I honestly think it has to do w/ video games and the cartoon-ization of gun violence. Aren't young guys spending a lot of time playing these "games?" Otherwise where would a kid get an idea to shoot up not only parents and himself, but a bunch of strangers?
The cause of this scenario is obviously an underlying mental illness, not a violent video game.

A rational human being can decipher fiction from reality.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 PM

7,942 posts, read 9,160,764 times
May not agree with the specifics of how Huckabee phrased it, but I think the idea of how our society has denigrated all life and made violence so accepted is part of the problem.

Religion has always been a way to mold peoples' behavior, ie don't sin or you go to hell. So , in a way , I can see his point. Of couse, not everyone needs religion to help them lead a good life, but others might need the structure religion can offer.

Unfortunately there is no easy fix to incidents like the shooting in CT.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
What religion is God?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 PM

592 posts, read 414,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
what a moron

the funniest part is that apparently this man is okay with worshipping a god that punishes us for disbelief by letting 20 innocent kids die on his watch.
The wages of sin is death. That's the law.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
The cause of this scenario is obviously an underlying mental illness, not a violent video game.

A rational human being can decipher fiction from reality.
Well, we do not know the cause of the CT case, right?

I thought he was autistic or something, not insane...

I'm trying to make sense of the things I've seen happening in the news for the past year. I'm not sure if there are a lot more mass shootings, or if there appear to be more because of news coverage. But if these things are happening more frequently...there has to be a reason.

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
On a different note, why would the police handcuff the brother of the shooter and lead him away like a suspect? Overkill?
No, it was not over kill to handcuff the brother because there was no way at that point in time to know if the brother was involved or aiding and abiding or something else like refusing to cooperate.

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Green Apple View Post
Addressing the tragedy on Fox News, Huckabee dismissed calls for stricter gun control and claimed that future violence can be prevented by solving matters of “the heart” and turning to God:

HUCKABEE: Well, you know, it’s an interesting thing. We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability? That we’re not just going to have to be accountable to the police, if they catch us. But one day, we will stand before a Holy God in judgment. If we don’t believe that, then we don’t fear that.

What a heartless, rambling, ignorant idiot....hey, christians, ya sure got a good representative in that POS.

4,145 posts, read 10,430,794 times
He's right. There was a day when morality was a big part of school. While there was random violence, it wasn't like this. The longer we've gone without our children being taught the ethics and morals of God and the Bible, the more we slide into this horrible abyss. The arrogant atheist posters will disagree, but those who get it, get it.

We are in a world that doesn't value life anymore. This is the result.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Well -- obviously it's easier to bring guns into a Connecticut school than it would be to put up a poster with "Thou Shalt Not Kill" or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies