Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Hunting with a Bushmaster, you have got to be kidding and he only uses single shot, boy there is a real hunter.
It's not hard. Use a .308 or 6.8 upper and have some skill if you're in a state/county where .223 is too small a caliber to take larger game - there are a number of states where .223/5.56 is not legal to take large game with, but there are places you can use them. Low recoil, a flat trajectory, high muzzle velocity using a 20" barrel and good aim and you have it made with the right .223 cartridge. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean someone else can't.

That said, I bought my AR-15 for target practice on longer range shots. If that scares the OP, I really couldn't care less, he/she can go hide with their head in the sand, I'll go enjoy myself out on the range or on the family property. I'm a law abiding citizen and bought it because I wanted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,840 times
Gun Control Increases Violence

The last thirty-five years of the most complete and accurate scientific criminological research shows that often, gun control increases violent crime, and it never reduces crime. Gun control laws cost thousands of lives each year, and endanger everyone, including those who choose not to own firearms.

There are about 2.5 million defensive uses of firearms in the U.S. each year, almost always without shooting the attacker. Mere possession and display is almost always an adequate defense.

Gun control shifts the balance of power to favor criminals (and bad governments) over ordinary citizens. This is especially evident in mass murder shooting rampages, which are facilitated by the imbalance of power created by gun control laws and business policies that prevent self-defense with firearms. Shooting rampages may last from several minutes to more than a half hour, due to the imbalance of power an armed attacker has over unarmed citizens.

Gun control destroys the multiple crime control and deterrent effects of armed citizens. The crime control and deterrent effects of armed citizens equal or exceed those of the entire criminal justice system, including police, courts, and prisons, according to research by Professor Gary Kleck at Florida State University.

In Defense of Self-Defense: Florida State University: Research in Review

John Lott: More Guns, Less Crime

John Lott: More Guns, Less Crime - YouTube

Dr. Gary Kleck on Gun Control - YouTube

Gun control laws waste, squander, and misdirect limited criminal justice resources, including police, court, and prison resources, by targeting the wrong people. Gun control diverts attention away from real and effective crime control methods that have worked in the past and will work in the future.

Widespread Private Firearms Ownership Reduces Violence

Firearms are used at least five times more often for self-defense by ordinary citizens than they are misused in all crimes, suicides, and accidents combined. (You won't learn that in the CFR controlled... filtered, agenda driven Main Stream Media).

Therefore, a complete and accurate cost-versus-benefits analysis, rather than a one-sided analysis, shows that widespread firearms ownership by ordinary nonviolent citizens provides a great net benefit to society, and greatly reduces the overall violence rate. Private firearms ownership should be strongly encouraged rather than discouraged or prohibited.

Scientific research by Professor Gary Kleck found that defense with a firearm is significantly safer and more effective than any other method, including non-resistance.

Gun control laws that target, restrict, punish, and harass ordinary law-abiding citizens, who have no criminal intent, are both counter-productive and immoral. The right to self-defense, which necessarily includes the right to own firearms, is the safest and most effective means of self-defense.

How Often Are Firearms Used in Self-Defense?: GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense?

GUNS AND PUBLIC HEALTH: EPIDEMIC OF VIOLENCE OR PANDEMIC OF PROPAGANDA?: GUNS AND PUBLIC HEALTH: EPIDEMIC OF VIOLENCE OR PANDEMIC OF PROPAGANDA?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Firepower does not make a real hunter. If you are good, you only need one shot, the rest of the would be's please get out of the woods!

You have never been on Hog watch at night, have you?

They travel in packs and do massive devastation to farm & Ranch pastures, costing billions of dollars a year.
The multiply faster than rabbits.

A big flip clip and night vision, with a sound suppressor, is your buddy.

The only thing better, would be a belt drive full auto.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,840 times
They want their Criminal Thug Gang Bangers to be able to come at us with AK47s & we only get to use rocks, bow & arrows or six shooters if we are lucky.

Man Shoots OFF AK47 Outside Gas Station

Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM

Ever see a mass shooting at a gun show?

The question has been asked over and over and not one person here has had an answer.
Define: Assault Weapon.

My foot is an assault weapon, when placed up someones ass.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

They travel in packs and do massive devastation to farm & Ranch pastures, costing billions of dollars a year.

If you say so..........

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Ever see a mass shooting at a gun show?

The question has been asked over and over and not one person here has had an answer.
Define: Assault Weapon.

My foot is an assault weapon, when placed up someones ass.
Then explain to me why no background checks at these scam gun shows .

Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
A good part of the why gun owners are so angry is we have seen what gun control means in your country. We have other boards where gun owners chat with x gun owners from your country too.

In the USA we don't want what is the way in your country.

And you talk like making a gun is a feat of magic. I assure you it is simple machine milling from a common parts diagram any machinist worth his salt can do.

Once for a kick I made a Zippo Lighter into a .22 single shot weapon and it still could be used for fire.

The tooling was all very simple and the parts were common to cars.

I don't know how big the guy is you are talking too, but I am older and I have a bad back, so he probably could hammer on me too.

If he wanted my life he might well have it and maybe my wife's to, other than she shoots better than I do, and has her own guns.

I also have sisters one a MD, and she packs a Smith and Wesson S&W .357 every day, since druggies think nothing of knocking off the hospital pharmacies in the USA.

Another Gun Free Zone....

Once I had a Kiwi Gal show up here.... met her on a motorcycle board. her idea was to come to any place on the east cost in the USA and ride her motorcycle to the west coast. During her stay here she asked if she could try shooting some of my guns and i just let her choose.

She picked a Ruger Single Six which is a cowboy looking .22 and a AK-47 clone in 7.62 x 39.

You may have even heard of Max, as she was into the pink cancer ribbon thing and took a mc tour in your country too. And that just makes me wonder if we were to ever meet which of my guns you might select and hope to shoot too.
My point was more that Australia and NZ's overall low levels of gun violence throughout history is due to the fact that we have never had a gun culture like you do there. Thus, I am trying to point out that if your gun pals are saying that the gun buyback has resulted in criminals thinking "Gee, home break-ins will be far easier now because I can now use my illegal guns to attack Mr and Mrs Average since they've had to give all their guns back" then that is crap because the majority of Mr and Mrs Averages never had guns in their homes before the gun buyback.

However, you will note above that I have conceded that because of the difference in culture when it comes to guns, the US may need to take different approaches to other countries.

I also have sisters one a MD, and she packs a Smith and Wesson S&W .357 every day, since druggies think nothing of knocking off the hospital pharmacies in the USA.

And that's freedom eh. The freedom to take guns to work because of being in danger of being attacked by others with guns. Though I also work in the medical field and some of the places I've worked have been right in the middle of drug addict territory, I've never felt particularly concerned about being attacked by drug addicts with guns.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Then explain to me why no background checks at these scam gun shows .

First you tell me why there are no mass shootings at a gun show.
There is no lack of firearms and there are surely a few lunatics there packing.

Answer my question first, instead of asking me a question and I will explain how background checks on our 2nd Amendment right, is unconstitutional.

Deal?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
If you say so..........

I take it, you live in a box.
You have no clue about rural, heartland America.... Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies