Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No their not John.... You can still get them in certain states, and NH is one.... However you have to have big bucks, you need to pay a steep tax and you have to pass a different back ground check and get signed off.

Then the company you own, I say you own, because 1, the gun is owned by a Trust, and I say owned because these cost so much, but you can get to have them or better my way rent them..

In modern times only 2 both Ak-47 built illegallyb were ised in the Cali bank robbery /street shoot out.

Good thing there is a LAW huh?
I will clarify ...

Other than going through a process involving a licensed broker, paperwork and having your local sheriff sign off, they are effectively banned.

Most of these liberals think you can run down to Wal-Mart and pick up a machine gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
A Bushmaster is a modern sporting rifle and people do hunt with them, I know many people who do, they also target shoot and shoot competition, my brother in law hunts deer with a .223, he relies on a good placed shot.
It's not what is considered a traditional deer rifle like a bolt action but bolt actions do come in .223, i have a single shot rifle i shoot in .223. But yes the rifles people call assault rifles are actually modern sporting rifles.
I do know the Bushmaster was not legal in the 80s., and it was easy to convert, easy for any family member to operate, and would make a great gun for casual and or close range killing, depending on the ammo. Yes sometimes you would have to fire off several rounds to complete the kill, but it made up for that with the ease of use, would you not disagree?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
Here's the deal.

I read someone's opinion recently that the 2nd Amendment was made with the goal of keeping the King's army off of U.S. soil. It's just not true. The 2nd Amendment was made to protect the American people from any sort of tyrannical government, including our own. The argument has been made that the 2nd Amendment was signed at a time when only muzzle loaders were prevelant. Well, that was all that anyone had at the time. A muzzle loading rifle was the highest technology that was available to anyone.

That being said, we have a problem. School shootings where our precious children are being riddled with bullets are an incomprehensible turn of events. Something has to be done.

Let's look at the recipe.

1) Violence in American culture and media: There is an unprecedented amount of violence in video games and movies that glorifies the violence and desensitizes the viewer.

2) Lack of mental health care: There is no comprehensive health care program for those afflicted with disorders. These people are free to roam the streets.

3) The loss of our moral center: There is no doubt that our culture has decided to accept individualistic behaviors to a point to where anyone offering any kind of moral code is browbeaten into submission and silence. We just no longer have a moral compass as a society. Some will disagree with this statement, but it really is the truth. While we have made important advances in the rights of minorities and women, we have abandoned our moral code. I don't feel like one begets the other.

4) Unfettered access to firearms: Considering the above conditions, we allow access to firearms for many people in our society that are falling through the gaping holes (not the gaps) in our system. You can make the argument that this is where we start; by limiting access to the guns; but there are two problems with that. First, it doesn't address the other ingredients to the problem, and two, it limits the rights of the law abiding citizens to protect themselves from violence and tyranny.

I beg anyone who is concerned about the welfare of our children and our society to consider a solution that really takes all of the factors into account. You cannot address a societal problem by focusing on a single aspect of a complicated issue.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I beg anyone who is concerned about the welfare of our children and our society to consider a solution that really takes all of the factors into account. You cannot address a societal problem by focusing on a single aspect of a complicated issue.
Um, you seem to be unaware that not only murder rates, but basically every societal metric is at, or near all time lows. Bleat all you want about a lack of morals, but murder, all violent crime, all non-violent crime, STD infections, teenage pregnancy, highschool dropout, divorce, abortion, you name it.

They're all at (or near) all time lows.

But the sky is falling because we don't allow your deity into schools.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Um, you seem to be unaware that not only murder rates, but basically every societal metric is at, or near all time lows. Bleat all you want about a lack of morals, but murder, all violent crime, all non-violent crime, STD infections, teenage pregnancy, highschool dropout, divorce, abortion, you name it.

They're all at (or near) all time lows.

But the sky is falling because we don't allow your deity into schools.
You name it? How about school shootings? Has nothing to do with a deity.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I will clarify ...

Other than going through a process involving a licensed broker, paperwork and having your local sheriff sign off, they are effectively banned.

Most of these liberals think you can run down to Wal-Mart and pick up a machine gun.
I wouldn't buy anything at Wal-Mart considering their un American Policy's, and the way they treat their employee's . I do recall the last time I made a wrong turn and wound up in their gun department. Was impressive. I guess they sell a lot of guns and Ammo.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
You name it? How about school shootings?
I don't know. Though I saw a link earlier in the day that indicated they're not as widespread as they seem, but can't find it right now.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that murders in general are lower now then they've been since before I was born.

You were more likely to be murdered in 1960 than 2010.

Indisputable fact.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
A Bushmaster is a modern sporting rifle and people do hunt with them, I know many people who do, they also target shoot and shoot competition, my brother in law hunts deer with a .223, he relies on a good placed shot.
It's not what is considered a traditional deer rifle like a bolt action but bolt actions do come in .223, i have a single shot rifle i shoot in .223. But yes the rifles people call assault rifles are actually modern sporting rifles.
Hunting with a Bushmaster, you have got to be kidding and he only uses single shot, boy there is a real hunter.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Hunting with a Bushmaster, you have got to be kidding and he only uses single shot, boy there is a real hunter.
Firepower does not make a real hunter. If you are good, you only need one shot, the rest of the would be's please get out of the woods!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They use the .223 in coyote country - good fast round. I was reading yesterday that the AR platform is ideal for coyote and feral hog control because the targets are fast and it may take a few rounds to get on target. I've never hunted either and don't know if that's accurate. It makes sense.

Now a single shot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies