Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
There's a big difference between twenty 6 year old kids dying from a mass murder and kids dying in Chicago by engaging in voluntary gun play. You wanna live portray this as the Wild, Wild West?

Knock ya self out...

I will agree that a fraction of those victims are innocent victims.. and that the media uses the sensitivity of the community to exploit a mass killing. Where as 20 lives lost in isolated incidents spread out over any amount of time is the same thing.

But, that doesn't mean the Chicago gang violence deserves to be equally as sensitized.
Why not? Many more innocent bystanders are killed each year in Chicago "drive-by" shootings or cases of mistaken identity (happens more than you think) than in any of those mass murders. And those are committed by criminals/thugs/gang members who IGNORE gun control laws anyway. Gun control laws DO NOT prevent gun violence. All they do is disarm responsible law-abiding citizens, making them defenseless sitting ducks for the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why not? Many more innocent bystanders are killed each year in Chicago "drive-by" shootings or cases of mistaken identity (happens more than you think) than in any of those mass murders. And those are committed by criminals/thugs/gang members who IGNORE gun control laws anyway. Gun control laws DO NOT prevent gun violence. All they do is disarm responsible law-abiding citizens, making them defenseless sitting ducks for the criminals.
Because, I don't know that.

I know for a fact 20 children were killed in sandy Hook...

But I'm never going to be able to reference a legit breakdown on a huge number like "4,000".. I'm left to just put stock into the sensationalism or not.

But the one point cannot be argued. Chicago is a war zone of gang participation. And I don't subscribe to giving gang associated killings face time. It's unfortunate, but it's a much more involved and complex issue than what happened at Sandy Hook. I suspect Chicago not being focused on because then they would have to address how these kids are getting these guns. Because it's pretty obvious it's not legally.

They'd rather go after the legal gun owners.

And I still say that Sandy Hook is being exploited by the MSM anyway.

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 12-18-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:

I know for a fact 20 children were killed in sandy Hook...

But I'm never going to be able to reference a legit breakdown on a huge number like "4,000".. I'm left to just put stock into the sensationalism or not.

But the one point cannot be argued. Chicago is a war zone and gang participation. And I don't subscribe to giving gang associated killings face time. It's unfortunate, but it's a much more involved and complex issue than what happened at Sandy Hook. I suspect Chicago not being focused on because then they would have to address how these kids are getting these guns. Because it's pretty obvious it's not legally.

They'd rather go after the legal gun owners.

For profit not for political ideology

Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why that is. It's on the local news all the time (I live in the Chicago area). Do the shooting murders of innocent people in Chicago every week not make the national news?
Quote:
But the one point cannot be argued. Chicago is a war zone and gang participation. And I don't subscribe to giving gang associated killings face time. It's unfortunate, but it's a much more involved and complex issue than what happened at Sandy Hook. I suspect Chicago not being focused on because then they would have to address how these kids are getting these guns. Because it's pretty obvious it's not legally.

They'd rather go after the legal gun owners
Yep. Go after those who AREN'T committing the murders. Makes perfect sense to liberals.

Quote:
Of course it is. It's just another tick on an agenda designed to deliberately strip responsible law-abiding citizens of their rights.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Very few people seem to see the irony in Obama speaking at Newtown, when over 4000 black boys/men died in Chicago due to gun violence. 1 in 5 of the 4000, were innocent bystanders going to school, work, or simply in their homes.

Since Obama has resided in Chicago for a number of years, one would expect that he would have spoken out, but besides uttering maybe a sentence or two about 'stopping the violence,' no serious intervention has been discussed at length or devised.

It's time to end violence throughout this nation; especially in the areas most devastated by it.
The video guy said 4,680 black men killed primarily by guns in 2010. He did not say "in Chicago".
The murder tally for all people, regardless of method/weapon who were murdered in Chicago are:
2010- 436
2011-433
2012 ( ytd) 488

Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why that is. It's on the local news all the time (I live in the Chicago area). Do the shooting murders of innocent people in Chicago every week not make the national news?
Yep. Go after those who AREN'T committing the murders. Makes perfect sense to liberals.

Of course it is. It's just another tick on an agenda designed to deliberately strip responsible law-abiding citizens of their rights.
yea, we are definitely in agreement... And I do agree with you that it should be sensitized...in the event they want to point out the hypocrisy of the government.

but not by racial terms...

Unless, you want to make the case that our government places guns in the hands of the impoverished black youth, not much unlike the Fast and Furious deal... But that is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
yea, we are definitely in agreement... And I do agree with you that it should be sensitized...in the event they want to point out the hypocrisy of the government.

but not by racial terms...

Unless, you want to make the case that our government places guns in the hands of the impoverished black youth, not much unlike the Fast and Furious deal... But that is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
How can we come to any other conclusion when it's perfectly clear that liberals and the Obama Admin ONLY want to disarm responsible law-abiding citizens?

There is NO mention whatsoever of disarming the illegal firearm-toting criminals/gangs/thugs committing the overwhelming majority of the gun homicides.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
How can we come to any other conclusion when it's perfectly clear that liberals and the Obama Admin ONLY want to disarm responsible law-abiding citizens?

There is NO mention whatsoever of disarming the illegal firearm-toting criminals/gangs/thugs committing the overwhelming majority of the gun homicides.
This is exactly what I've been saying for days. The gangs are the real gun problem and no law will help that. They already use banned FULLY AUTOMATIC .762 AK-47's to gun down innocents daily. Every attempt to go in and get those guns is met with staunch resistance from Liberals screaming about violating those poor kid's rights. Look at how they shut down stop and frisk in NYC. It's above obvious that they only want to go after law abiding gun owners. It's almost as if they WANT the criminal gang element to be armed like they are. Maybe Obama is planning on using them as his personal army...

Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Serious mental illness? Most of this is gang related. Unless you think joining gangs is a sign of mental illness - it is more likely a sign of deep socioeconomic problems with these young men and their home life (or lack of). Kids and young men join gangs because they have nothing better to do and they relish the bonding that comes with gang membership.

The south and far western parts of the city are dominated by gangs. Most gun deaths in Chicago are attributed to gang activity. Anything and everything may be viewed as disrespect and therefor murder is the solution. Turf wars and drugs are also huge factors.

Nothing short of a strong and persistent military presence is going to take back these neighborhoods in several major metro areas. Bring the troops home and deploy them to our inner cities. Put tanks in the streets and be ready to move as the targets move.Time to declare war on gangs.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This is exactly what I've been saying for days. The gangs are the real gun problem and no law will help that. They already use banned FULLY AUTOMATIC .762 AK-47's to gun down innocents daily. Every attempt to go in and get those guns is met with staunch resistance from Liberals screaming about violating those poor kid's rights. Look at how they shut down stop and frisk in NYC. It's above obvious that they only want to go after law abiding gun owners. It's almost as if they WANT the criminal gang element to be armed like they are. Maybe Obama is planning on using them as his personal army...
You might want to consider this. "Stop and frisk" can often have racial elements to it. Who gets stopped and frisked more than anyone else, even without looking like a gang member?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies