Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The SCOTUS is the absolute, 100% "decider" on what is Constitutional and what is not. If they say it is, it is. It's IN the Constitution.

I love when these Constitutional sycophants who are so eager to trumpet the Constitution when they feel it is to their benefit, run from it when it might impinge on their desires...
Please quote the passage in the Constitution that says so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Why are they claiming they will keep their guns if the law changes? If you own a gun and law changes to make that particular weapon illegal, than keeping it is NOT responsible.

I keep hearing how responsible these gun owners are-- Yet when faced with actual gun crime, they abdicate responsibility. When faced with a possible change in law which may illegalize assault rifles, they will do the OPPOSITE of what's responsible and retain their illegal weapons.

Treat me like a criminal....well then I'll be one. Would you keep silent if we banned speech?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The arrests pushed the movement towards its goals so it would have disappointed me were they not arrested, so if you are not so confident nor so brave about your "goals", you just indicated to me your "goals" are worthless.
You didn't answer my first question.

And you're still wiggling. Whether or not those arrests turned out to have a positive effect relative to current realities at that time, are you going to sit here and tell me that those people were flawed for disobeying an unjust law? Who gives a damn if they were arrested?

This is called black and white thinking. Disobey a law, you're irresponsible, because by doing so you automatically support complete anarchy. Accept your arrest, you're responsible again.

It's ridiculous.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves." -Henry David Thoreau

Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
First off, what is an "assault rifle?"
Oh come on now. We've had this discussion forever on C-D.

Here ya go.

An assault rifle is a rifle designed to fire reduced power cartridges at shorter range with a high rate of firepower.
Unlike semi-auto weapons, assault rifles can fire in full auto mode. Their cartridge length is usually shortened for more ammo capacity. An example is the Kalashnikov assault rifle which uses the 7.62X39, M43 cartridge copied from the german MP40 which used 7.65 Kurtz. Unlike full Battle rifles which use an identical bullet in 7.62 but use a full powder charge hence, 7.62X54.

In America, an assault weapon has become synonymous with any semi auto rifle of military configuration that accepts a high cap magazine such as an AR15 or an AK47/AKM. Get used to it and get over it. But of course, you knew the answer all along, didn't you, so what exactly was the point?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,099 times
Quote:
Why are they claiming they will keep their guns if the law changes? If you own a gun and law changes to make that particular weapon illegal, than keeping it is NOT responsible.

I keep hearing how responsible these gun owners are-- Yet when faced with actual gun crime, they abdicate responsibility. When faced with a possible change in law which may illegalize assault rifles, they will do the OPPOSITE of what's responsible and retain their illegal weapons.
Ban the ammo, without it, guns are useless.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The SCOTUS also said arms in common use are protected. The guns that some ignorant people want to ban are in common use.

The SCOTUS is not the final arbitor either. The people are, whether through constitutional convention, jury nullification or outright rebellion.
I stand corrected. The people are truly the final arbiters through the constitutional amendment process. Until that time, the SCOTUS decisions rule. That is the way our founding fathers designed our system of government.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:

gun owners will never give up their weapons because most of them think that they are about to engage in an armed rebellion against the government any day now.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
. Disobey a law, you're irresponsible, because by doing so you automatically support complete anarchy. Accept your arrest, you're responsible again.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I might remind you that the Supreme Court is the final arbiter of what is constitutional and what is not. SCOTUS says that reasonable restrictions are constitutional. We as a nation are going to have that conversation shortly. Are you up for that? Will you abide by the decisions and legislation that comes out of the discussion? Somehow I think not
So internment of American citizens without due process was Constitutional?

I don't agree with all of the restrictions right now. That's my stance on "reasonable".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies