Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
And I hope that the Republican fringe keeps pushing for armed Kindergarten teachers and continues to bloviate about how guns aren't the problem. Their reticence to even look at gun culture and gun laws continues to scare any swing voter with a brain...
how about we start with the culture the progressives have foisted on this country first. in the early 60s we started taking god out of the picture, then we cheapened human life by allowing abortion on demand. during that time we also started accepting an insanity defense. IE not guilty by reason of insanity. later on we added a "temporary insanity" defense. during this time we had to "feel the criminals pain, and understand their rage", and were bombarded as to how "its societies fault that criminals are the way they are".

and then we soften the language, shell shock, became battle fatigue, the operational exhaustion, and finally post traumatic stress disorder. and now just about everything is a disease, disorder, dysfunction, or other form of dementia. but not to worry we have a pill for that. feeling anxious? take this red downer. felling depressed? take this blue upper. never mind that the side effects can mean more of the same thing you are suffering from, we have more pills for that. we can give you the green, white or yellow pill. you take them along with your current pills. understand that your symptoms may still get worse though. sorry no pills for that yet.

strung out on heroin? no problem, we will give you free methadone instead to get you off the heroin. sorry we dont have anything yet to replace cocaine. but we are working on legalizing marijuana.

the problem isnt guns, its the permissive society the progressives have pushed on us for 50 years. we cant spank our kid when they do wrong, thats child abuse, never mind that they grow and become criminals. we dont say NO to our kids either, because we want them to have the things we didnt have when we were their age, you know, drug addictions, unwanted pregnancies, etc.

when i was growing up i had a severe drug problem. i got drug to school, to church, to the supermarket, to family vacations, in fact i got drug just about everywhere my parents wanted to drag me.

you want to blame something for these killers who shoot up schools full of innocent children? start by looking at the person that looks back at you from the mirror every morning. did you object when CPS agencies were given virtual carte blanche to take children away from parents who have the temerity to discipline their children? have you railed against the permissiveness that is pervading society today? do you enjoy the fact that we coddle criminals in this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
He murdered her with her own gun, which fact means that she wasn't a very responsible gun owner. She did not secure her guns to prevent unauthorized persons (yes, including her sons) to be able to access them. If her son did have previously known mental problems, she should certainly have made sure he had no access.
That's quite the leap to make considering none of us even know what happened besides the fact she's dead and he had her guns.

It's typical human behavior to feel the overriding need to do something RIGHT NOW in a bad situation... it's seen many a person to their doom through irrational split-second decision making without thinking the whole thing through.

That goes double for an event that has not directly effected 314,958,000 million people's lives but has a few with an agenda aching to turn it into the worst thing the world has ever faced that needs and instant fix or the world will end tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,958 times
Quote:
Why are they claiming they will keep their guns if the law changes? If you own a gun and law changes to make that particular weapon illegal, than keeping it is NOT responsible.

I keep hearing how responsible these gun owners are-- Yet when faced with actual gun crime, they abdicate responsibility. When faced with a possible change in law which may illegalize assault rifles, they will do the OPPOSITE of what's responsible and retain their illegal weapons.
You have to BREAK THE LAW to make that law....duh!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That's quite the leap to make considering none of us even know what happened besides the fact she's dead and he had her guns.

It's typical human behavior to feel the overriding need to do something RIGHT NOW in a bad situation... it's seen many a person to their doom through irrational split-second decision making without thinking the whole thing through.

That goes double for an event that has not directly effected 314,958,000 million people's lives but has a few with an agenda aching to turn it into the worst thing the world has ever faced that needs and instant fix or the world will end tomorrow.
Maybe a bit of a jump, but the fact is that they were hers, he got them, and he killed her with them before killing quite a few other people who somehow fulfilled his need to play psycho killer. How did her collection make her more safe, now?

And you might be surprised, but I am not against gun ownership. There are two guns ---> right over there, six feet away from my seat, in a closet. They're not mine, but I could get them out any time I wanted. What I'd like to see is some common sense discussion about firearm ownership, what constitutes responsible ownership, who should and should not own guns, how we set up requirements for people to follow when they want to, and then own, any firearms.

Fact is, people in the country have different needs, but no deer hunter needs a modern era war weapon to hunt deer. If they do, then they are probably spectacularly bad hunters, or have a severe inferiority complex. So, shotguns and rifles make the most sense in a rural setting, and they are also perfect for home defense. Likewise, handguns make more sense in urban areas, but under tight control, because of the much faster response times of police in the city, and higher likelihood that they will be shot by said police if they are waving their pistols around.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 PM

488 posts, read 412,503 times
Quote:
Why are they claiming they will keep their guns if the law changes? If you own a gun and law changes to make that particular weapon illegal, than keeping it is NOT responsible.

I keep hearing how responsible these gun owners are-- Yet when faced with actual gun crime, they abdicate responsibility. When faced with a possible change in law which may illegalize assault rifles, they will do the OPPOSITE of what's responsible and retain their illegal weapons.
Geez, how circular your slippery slope is.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how about we start with the culture the progressives have foisted on this country first. in the early 60s we started taking god out of the picture, then we cheapened human life by allowing abortion on demand. during that time we also started accepting an insanity defense. IE not guilty by reason of insanity. later on we added a "temporary insanity" defense. during this time we had to "feel the criminals pain, and understand their rage", and were bombarded as to how "its societies fault that criminals are the way they are".

and then we soften the language, shell shock, became battle fatigue, the operational exhaustion, and finally post traumatic stress disorder. and now just about everything is a disease, disorder, dysfunction, or other form of dementia. but not to worry we have a pill for that. feeling anxious? take this red downer. felling depressed? take this blue upper. never mind that the side effects can mean more of the same thing you are suffering from, we have more pills for that. we can give you the green, white or yellow pill. you take them along with your current pills. understand that your symptoms may still get worse though. sorry no pills for that yet.

strung out on heroin? no problem, we will give you free methadone instead to get you off the heroin. sorry we dont have anything yet to replace cocaine. but we are working on legalizing marijuana.

the problem isnt guns, its the permissive society the progressives have pushed on us for 50 years. we cant spank our kid when they do wrong, thats child abuse, never mind that they grow and become criminals. we dont say NO to our kids either, because we want them to have the things we didnt have when we were their age, you know, drug addictions, unwanted pregnancies, etc.

when i was growing up i had a severe drug problem. i got drug to school, to church, to the supermarket, to family vacations, in fact i got drug just about everywhere my parents wanted to drag me.

you want to blame something for these killers who shoot up schools full of innocent children? start by looking at the person that looks back at you from the mirror every morning. did you object when CPS agencies were given virtual carte blanche to take children away from parents who have the temerity to discipline their children? have you railed against the permissiveness that is pervading society today? do you enjoy the fact that we coddle criminals in this country?
I guess I prefer an more gentle and kind society, and you prefer one where you can legally beat the **** out of your children...

Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
There's a difference between being responsible and obeying unjust laws (whether that diagnosis in realistic or not).
That is incredibly obvious and way beyond the liberals ability to comprehend.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Legally owned guns were used in the Newton, CT shooting.

Logic.
No they weren't. The shooter DID NOT legally own them. More lies from the left.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then we cheapened human life by allowing abortion on demand.
It is unfortunate Friday's murderer was not included in your above tally.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 PM

709 posts, read 656,397 times
Quote:
I guess I prefer an more gentle and kind society, and you prefer one where you can legally beat the **** out of your children...
Ignoring how unbelievably far you twisted his words for a moment...

The world is not kind and gentle. Not even close. As someone who has gone from military, to law enforcement, to security, to firefighting/EMS, I get to see first hand every day just how terrible the world is. Perhaps you're more sheltered than I; most are, in fact. I don't hold that against you. However, when you survey those in the public safety sector, i.e. the guys (girls) like me who clean up after society, you'll find that the VAST majority think like me. Maybe you should listen to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies