Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:44 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's the anti-gun crowd that wants to change the law...

What right to do have to impose restrictions on my freedoms that I currently enjoy? I feel for the victims of every senseless act of violence but I refuse to surrender my rights because of them. Banning guns won't stop violence; you need to fix the culture to do that.
You are right Chango! fix the culture is the answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM

61 posts, read 94,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Warning! The contents of this post by the good Dr. will fertilize your garden for years.
i think it's a legit theory, I've seen no motive established to why he selected a school and kids as his victims

Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
What about laws that are ruled Constitutional? Like the interment of American citizens of Japanese decent during WWII. The federal government is designed NOT to change on a whim. The interment laws were a knee-jerk reaction to the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Supreme Court said they were Constitutional.

Until "shall not be infringed" is officially removed through the amendment process, I'm not complying.
I might remind you that the Supreme Court is the final arbiter of what is constitutional and what is not. SCOTUS says that reasonable restrictions are constitutional. We as a nation are going to have that conversation shortly. Are you up for that? Will you abide by the decisions and legislation that comes out of the discussion? Somehow I think not

Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And do you think the Freedom Riders should have been arrested? Was that a "responsible" thing to do by the government?
The arrests pushed the movement towards its goals so it would have disappointed me were they not arrested, so if you are not so confident nor so brave about your "goals", you just indicated to me your "goals" are worthless.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Why are they claiming they will keep their guns if the law changes? If you own a gun and law changes to make that particular weapon illegal, than keeping it is NOT responsible.

I keep hearing how responsible these gun owners are-- Yet when faced with actual gun crime, they abdicate responsibility. When faced with a possible change in law which may illegalize assault rifles, they will do the OPPOSITE of what's responsible and retain their illegal weapons.
First off, what is an "assault rifle?"

Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I might remind you that the Supreme Court is the final arbiter of what is constitutional and what is not. SCOTUS says that reasonable restrictions are constitutional. We as a nation are going to have that conversation shortly. Are you up for that? Will you abide by the decisions and legislation that comes out of the discussion? Somehow I think not
The SCOTUS also said arms in common use are protected. The guns that some ignorant people want to ban are in common use.

The SCOTUS is not the final arbitor either. The people are, whether through constitutional convention, jury nullification or outright rebellion.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
What right to do have to impose restrictions on my freedoms that I currently enjoy?
Me, personally? None. That's why we have a government. They have every right to do so. And the courts have the right to review the constitutionality. You, however, don't have the right to decide what laws you will follow based on your own interpretation of the constitution.

Quote:
I feel for the victims of every senseless act of violence but I refuse to surrender my rights because of them. Banning guns won't stop violence; you need to fix the culture to do that.
If gun owners are so damn responsible, why do so many of them state they will do what they want in spite of the law.

I'm beginning to think the responsible gun owner is a myth...

Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
There's a difference between being responsible and obeying unjust laws (whether that diagnosis in realistic or not).
Isn't Obama the one who said hell with enforcing Immigrations laws ? CO & WA said hell with pot laws.

If they don't follow the laws why should anyone else ?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The SCOTUS is not the final arbitor either.
The SCOTUS is the absolute, 100% "decider" on what is Constitutional and what is not. If they say it is, it is. It's IN the Constitution.

I love when these Constitutional sycophants who are so eager to trumpet the Constitution when they feel it is to their benefit, run from it when it might impinge on their desires...

Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Me, personally? None. That's why we have a government. They have every right to do so. And the courts have the right to review the constitutionality. You, however, don't have the right to decide what laws you will follow based on your own interpretation of the constitution.

If gun owners are so damn responsible, why do so many of them state they will do what they want in spite of the law.

I'm beginning to think the responsible gun owner is a myth...
Was a person wrong when they disobeyed fugitive slave laws, segregation, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies