Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,762,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
. For some reason, our crazies seem to want to go out with the opportunity to have CNN make make them famous!

Maybe CNN should stop making them famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 AM

19,816 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I guess you failed at math and English. Your link is about having sex with kids, not killing them.

And for those of you challenged by math, when you have the second most populous state (by a wide margin), you shouldn't be surprised if you have the second most sex offenders.
The post discussed mentally unstable teachers. Another post connected pedophilia, which is abuse of children. The assertion was made that cited examples are all in 'liberal' states.

TX unfortunately is a leader in teachers who abuse kids. Now you want to give them guns? Sorry if you can't follow along or comprehend that. Most others would.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
About darn time!

Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns

A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to pass a law specifically allowing teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month.

Read more: Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns | Fox News
Given that the article is from '08...what ever happened, did they impliment that plan? I don't recall hearing about any teachers or administrators suddenly start shooting kids.

Also:

Quote:
While the district's plan shot them into the national spotlight, carrying guns to school is nothing new some states. In Utah, the law allows anyone with a permit to carry a gun in public schools and state institutions of higher education.

Can anyone recall mass shootings happening at Utah schools?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Actually...never mind, I see that even Puffington Post is covering it:

Quote:
In August 2008, Harrold Independent School District Superintendent David Thweatt made waves announcing an unprecedented move: Teachers and staff would be allowed to carry guns in schools.

Now, just three days after the tragic mass shooting that shook Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., the small-town Texas school's story is resurfacing.

Thweatt's "Guardian Plan" marked the first time any school in the country permitted select teachers and staff to carry concealed weapons. Those participating in the program must hold concealed-carry licenses and are approved by the school board to carry on campus.

Thweatt told Fox News at the time the decision to implement the program was based on logistics -- the 110-student K-12 school is half an hour away from the nearest sheriff's department. He added allowing teachers to carry guns would protect schools from "a lot of anger in society."

"When you make schools gun-free zones, it's like inviting people to come in and take advantage," Thweatt told Fox News in 2008. He noted critics of the Guardian Plan were skeptical of a possible shooting in Harrold, but said he felt it was better to err on the side of caution.

And as districts debate best measures for school safety, often diverging on whether lockdown policies are ideal, Thweatt tells the Star-Telegram that those inside a school can't afford to wait for the authorities. In light of the Newtown shooting, the told the paper on Friday that he didn't want a plan where students "lock yourself in your closet and hope that an intruder won't hurt you. So what we came up with was a policy that would protect."

"Is that 100 percent [student protection]? No," Thweatt said. "Nothing is 100 percent. But what we do know is that we've done all we can to protect our children."
Former Education Secretary Bill Bennett also took to "Meet the Press" on Sunday to suggest that schools consider arming employees.
Harrold, Texas School Gun Policy Defended After Newtown Shooting

Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM

19,816 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I guess you failed at math and English. Your link is about having sex with kids, not killing them.

And for those of you challenged by math, when you have the second most populous state (by a wide margin), you shouldn't be surprised if you have the second most sex offenders.
The post discussed mentally unstable teachers. Another post connected pedophilia, which is abuse of children. The assertion was made that cited examples are all in 'liberal' states.

TX unfortunately is a leader in teachers who abuse kids. Now you want to give them guns? Sorry if you can't follow along or comprehend that. Most others would.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,486,909 times
Quote:
I have a friend from the UK who is so bewildered as to why we embrace guns in this country. You don't see school shootings over there.
REALLY?
Dunblane school massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade | Mail Online

Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
About darn time!

Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns

A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to pass a law specifically allowing teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month.

GREAT!!!
I'm so happy I don't live in Texas anymore
Let them carry guns EVERYWHERE!
Glad that I won't waste my life surrounded by fear and paranoia.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM

UK murder rate is just a fraction of USA one.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
GREAT!!!
I'm so happy I don't live in Texas anymore
Let them carry guns EVERYWHERE!
Glad that I won't waste my life surrounded by fear and paranoia.

I suspect Texans are just as happy that irrational people such as yourself are leaving. Ain't a free country great?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I suspect Texans are just as happy that irrational people such as yourself are leaving. Ain't a free country great?
So I am the irrational person
Arming teachers is indeed sooooo rational
It's the same thing they do in France, Germany, Australia, UK, Japan, Denmark... oh, wait... nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies