Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,051,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Texas, I'm surprised they don't let the students carry guns
You can legally buy a gun at 18 in Texas & carry it visibly in your car as long as you don't have any prior felonies on your record.

By Texas law, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home which you also have a right to protect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,314,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Seems to me those are all liberal states.
Texas is a liberal state, is that why you loved it so much?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,051,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Texas is a liberal state, is that why you loved it so much?
You mean conservative.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,314,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You mean conservative.
Miborn said that the state in the link was liberal, hence my question mark

Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 AM

781 posts, read 1,199,531 times
What was especially tough for me on Friday, was the age and level of innocence of the victims. Guns and first graders just don't compute in my brain. It's not supposed to connect.

To the point, guns in elementary schools, (yes, I appreciate the other position of wanting to be 'armed' against intruders of this kind), is just not something that should be. Ever.

I think the discussion really needs to focus on the root of the problem. Mental health, as well as an effective means to properly secure weaponry (and regulate it to a degree), so that scenarios like these will be less likely to arise.

I honestly do not believe, that adding more guns into the equation, anywhere, is going to solve this problem--just more of the losing the forest for the trees kind of approach, imho.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,482,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Your article is 4.5 years old.
So what the district has been armed for that period of time have you heard of any shooting s there?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,482,064 times

Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,497,662 times
Quote:
I honestly do not believe, that adding more guns into the equation, anywhere, is going to solve this problem--just more of the losing the forest for the trees kind of approach, imho.
That's the SAME tired IMAGINED scene that liberals made back in the 90's when more states began to issue CCW's....and it actually coincided with a general trend of all crime lowering...and there weren't all of those fantastically predicted shootouts between citizens whom lost their temper.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,953,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
What was especially tough for me on Friday, was the age and level of innocence of the victims. Guns and first graders just don't compute in my brain. It's not supposed to connect.

To the point, guns in elementary schools, (yes, I appreciate the other position of wanting to be 'armed' against intruders of this kind), is just not something that should be. Ever.

I think the discussion really needs to focus on the root of the problem. Mental health, as well as an effective means to properly secure weaponry (and regulate it to a degree), so that scenarios like these will be less likely to arise.

Sadly, we have reached the end of our innocense as a country.. Our society has changed and not for the better. No amount of regulation will change the decay that we are experiencing. Are guns in the classroom the answer? Frankly I don't know. I know we have to take some kind of action and the good news is we are still a representative democracy and we have still maintained some states rights. Our system is an ever changing experiment.. Each state is a laboratory for those experiments. What may work in one state, may not in another. You touched on mental health and I agree, but I think the problem is with the very core of our current society. Until we address single parent households and generational poverty, generational early pregnancy and until our young people start accepting the responsibility for their actions, I don't see much changing irrespective of any legislation that may be introduced.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 AM

19,904 posts, read 22,830,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Seems to me those are all liberal states.
Oh no, Texas has historically been high on the list of teachers gone bad. Read this one- 2007- "Texas ranked number two in the nation for the numbers of teachers sanctioned in sexual misconduct cases" The Victoria Advocate - Google News Archive Search

Woot-Hoot! We got some great teachers down here 'n Tex-I-Ass.. Woot Hoot!!!!!!

I think this Texas stat runs parallel with your football- never quite number one but always in the top three, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies