Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,314,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

conservative state!
Not what you said earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Seems to me those are all liberal states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,314,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You are the one being ridiculous. The post you are ridiculing is absolutely correct. We kicked God out of our public schools and we are now reaping the consequences. You can't even comprehend how wrong you are because you have been infected with the apostate "virus". I have raised two children and trained them up in the knowledge of the Lord. Praise God.
God is everywhere, he's in the schools, he's in the rain, etc...

Why do you doubt his existence, you must be an atheist.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 AM

19,905 posts, read 22,830,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A cop in every school doing what all day long? How would that help if something goes down while he's in the office or in a room on the other side of campus? For it to even matter a deranged person would have to launch an assual RIGHT WHERE THE COP IS. And launching an assault is on a school is still such a rare occurance it does not justify this sort of thing anyway, unless it's the students themselves who are violent...that's a whole other issue. Armed police officers get killed to, having a gun on campus means squat.
So having an elementary school teacher with a lady smith is going to do what? Miss a shot. Freak out.

They should have a defensive drill to lock down, slow down the assault while armed folks can make it. I don't know about you but I can cover the halls of my kids elementary school in quick order- and over time know every nook and cranny.

You're defending your space- much easier than an offender. Do you not have any military training?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 AM

37,162 posts, read 42,333,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
So having an elementary school teacher with a lady smith is going to do what? Miss a shot. Freak out.

They should have a defensive drill to lock down, slow down the assault while armed folks can make it. I don't know about you but I can cover the halls of my kids elementary school in quick order- and over time know every nook and cranny.

You're defending your space- much easier than an offender. Do you not have any military training?
No, but I know the hero scenero is usually more fantasy than fact and there is no way it's going to play out given the extreme rarity of this sort of thing. We will not be turing our schools into armed camps for kids or assiging a special ops person to guard a campus for their entire career. Not. Going. To. Happen. No reason for it to happen either. It won't stop crazy..ask the cops who get killed while armed and on duty.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 AM

Well I disagree. It will stop crazy, because crazy is not trained- it's crazy. When confronted with trained force, trained force generally rules the day. Always. Been that way since the dawn of warfare.

I was a trained combat medic, and my skills were called upon when a lunatic gunmen shot 3 of my co-workers in Bethesda MD in 1989. People were rushing out of the building and I was rushing up. I was met by a co-worker who was an ex-Marine and he cleared my way to the wounded, the dead and eventually the gunman.

My training overcame the innate fear to enter into a volatile situation. That's the difference. I trained for it. He trained for it.

Teachers don't.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,497,662 times
Quote:
Then put a trained cop in the school. Put a veteran or two in charge of that facility. Let teachers be teachers and focus their day on that.
Ha!

Obama administration, Congress quietly let school security funds lapse | WashingtonGuardian

http://www.policymic.com/articles/20...-mass-shooting

Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,953,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No, but I know the hero scenero is usually more fantasy than fact and there is no way it's going to play out given the extreme rarity of this sort of thing. We will not be turing our schools into armed camps for kids or assiging a special ops person to guard a campus for their entire career. Not. Going. To. Happen. No reason for it to happen either. It won't stop crazy..ask the cops who get killed while armed and on duty.
Actually it is viable.. This kid that committed this act of terror was not a hardened target. He picked his target for a number of reasons. One primary reason is he knew he would face little resistance. If you change that equation and install armed "professionals" on the campus, it changes the dynamic of the criminal.. Now he is forced to confront a well trained gunman in virtually seconds after begining his assault.. Away goes his advantage.. The thing is, we have to start doing something to prevent this. You can regulate all you want and it won't stop such attacks. Legislation will not change a society that is out of control. We can no longer afford to dismiss what at one time would have been considered ridiculous.. We have come to a point where all options must be given thought.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 AM

266 posts, read 411,808 times
America with no teachers with guns = no teachers shooting their students.

America where every teacher has a gun = A few cases a year where a teacher gets fed up and shoots a student.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 AM

37,162 posts, read 42,333,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well I disagree. It will stop crazy, because crazy is not trained- it's crazy. When confronted with trained force, trained force generally rules the day. Always. Been that way since the dawn of warfare.

I was a trained combat medic, and my skills were called upon when a lunatic gunmen shot 3 of my co-workers in Bethesda MD in 1989. People were rushing out of the building and I was rushing up. I was met by a co-worker who was an ex-Marine and he cleared my way to the wounded, the dead and eventually the gunman.

My training overcame the innate fear to enter into a volatile situation. That's the difference. I trained for it. He trained for it.

Teachers don't.
Again, armed police officers and trained military personal GET KILLED.

And this is not the future of our schools or society in general and it sickens me that some suggest it out of a misguided notion to "save the children". There will not be a rambo patrolling every school in the USA because why stop at schools? Why stop at airports? See the slope now?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 AM

Are you willing to pay extra tax to support it? If so tell your elected official and make it part of the solution.

The time to point arrows at the politicos is over. We should demand the solutions. Not point fingers. Nothing get's done when we try to prove our side is righter than theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies