Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I guess this would be similar to the New York area paper who printed the names of gun owners?

Does this mean that the left can agree that it was wrong to print the names of the gun owners? : )
Did the "left" ever say it WAS okay, or did "they" approve this newspaper printing (of which I have zero knowledge)? I don't know how this is a left vs right issue, but I guess everything is to some people here. Sheesh, it's been enough time since the shooting - can we get back to arguing over gays and blacks now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You don't get shot from hanging out in the home of someone who owns a gun.
No (and I'm not sure who ever said that), but it's probably more likely than catching AIDs from a carrier's home. In fact, I know it's more likely... unless by "hanging out at their homes," the OP really meant "having unprotected sex with the homeowner."

Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did the "left" ever say it WAS okay, or did "they" approve this newspaper printing (of which I have zero knowledge)? I don't know how this is a left vs right issue, but I guess everything is to some people here. Sheesh, it's been enough time since the shooting - can we get back to arguing over gays and blacks now?
I'm gonna cut you a break because you have a cute dog.

blacks...erghh... gays...erghh....

Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe on a general offenders list. I think it would discourage illicit behavior that results in contraction of HIV/AIDS and help cut down on the spread of the disease. Being that 1-in-5 or 20% of gay men have the disease in the US's largest cities (look it up) and that those folks tend to be particularly promiscuous, I think something needs to be done.
Where did you find that statistic? If you're going to throw it out, at least show your sources - don't just tell people to "look it up," when you/we can literally find anything to prove a point online (most of which will be bunk). I live in the Bay Area, mecca of the gay community, and HIGHLY doubt 20% of our gay men are HIV positive. Besides, I hope you realize that worldwide it's actually a bigger problem among heterosexuals... but keep spreading the lies about it being a gay disease, if that makes you feel somehow safer. Sorry it won't KEEP you safe, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I'm gonna cut you a break because you have a cute dog.

blacks...erghh... gays...erghh....
Haha... Rudy (the dog) says thanks, and hopes you realize his mom was being facetious.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,191 times
Quote:
I think the OP was asking if HIV/AIDS-infected persons should be on a publically-accessible list. The fact medical records are currently private isn't relevant. The poster was specifically concerned with a dangerous disease with which the infected person can do harm to the community, not general medical records.
There aren't any infectious diseases and medical conditions that I can think of that are made public so it would be a a pretty big legal battle. I'm sure groups have pushed for this type of public record before, but obviously it didn't work. I can see that view of what the OP is trying to say but still it is a legal issue and is quite relevant because it all comes down to privacy. What is more private the fact the you have AIDS or genital herpes or that you own a gun? What is more dangerous to the public? How do we quantify that? AIDS has turned into a manageable disease with medication. Do guns cause more fatalities?

Long story short, the OP premise is still bogus. He's trying to turn a complicated issue into a some simply analogy so he can cling on to his guns. It's 2012, enough time has passed that a lot of the whacky and more sinister predictions have borne no fruit. With education for prevention and medication for treatment, a lot has changed.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
Quote:
Where did you find that statistic? If you're going to throw it out, at least show your sources - don't just tell people to "look it up," when you/we can literally find anything to prove a point online (most of which will be bunk). I live in the Bay Area, mecca of the gay community, and HIGHLY doubt 20% of our gay men are HIV positive. Besides, I hope you realize that worldwide it's actually a bigger problem among heterosexuals... but keep spreading the lies about it being a gay disease, if that makes you feel somehow safer. Sorry it won't KEEP you safe, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
I'm not lying. You're just on a defensive/rationalization/denial trip because you don't agree with me or you don't like to hear what I'm saying. I don't hate gays and know several with HIV. I know it's a serious epidemic that doesn't garner the attention it deservers and isn't taken as seriously as it once was. Talk about a serious issue like HIV/AIDS is not going to be fuzzy and shouldn't be comforting. Deal with it.

CDC ? NCHHSTP Newsroom ? National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NGMHAAD) 2010 Press Release

Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I thought the whole AIDS scare was kind of over? But, I dunno - I guess maybe it matters what circles you run in.

No, I don't think their names should be published and I don't think the names of the gun owners should have been published in that newspaper.
Nah.

Remember the AIDS scare of the 1980's where at the rates of infection we had by the year 2020 the entire world would be dead. We were all at risk and blah, blah, give us money blah, blah.

Today it is a non-disease that has little effect on most of us.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,938 times
Quote:
Haha... Rudy (the dog) says thanks, and hopes you realize his mom was being facetious.
I pick up on all the subtleties quite well.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not lying. You're just on a defensive/rationalization/denial trip because you don't agree with me or you don't like to hear what I'm saying. I don't hate gays and know several with HIV. I know it's a serious epidemic that doesn't garner the attention it deservers and isn't taken as seriously as it once was. Talk about a serious issue like HIV/AIDS is not going to be fuzzy and shouldn't be comforting. Deal with it.

CDC ? NCHHSTP Newsroom ? National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NGMHAAD) 2010 Press Release
I'm neither defensive nor in denial (why would I be? I have no cards in this game) - I'm merely questioning your sources, and saying it seems unlikely. Considering I only know one HIV+ gay man, out of the MANY with whom I associate regularly, it just seems like a blown-up number. And do you deny that it's more of a heterosexual issue WORLDWIDE? If not, how do you justify making it out to be a "gay disease?" If you do deny that, it seems you're the only one here trying to avoid the facts.

Global Statistics

According to that source (which comes directly from the government), 97% of those afflicted come from low-middle income countries - particularly in sub-Saharan Africa. Are you equally concerned about that, and do you acknowledge that poor educational & medical resources are a bigger problem than homosexuality? I doubt any gay men in developed countries are unaware of HIV, and most if not all know by now how to prevent transmission. So I'd say there is little work left to be done here, and your efforts to "spread the knowledge" is best spent in Africa or Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies