Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,123,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Section 8 was created back in the 1930's, during the Great Drepression. It shape-shifted in the 60's.

Use of government welfare progrmas has historically spiked with all recessions.

If the GOP had any intention of doing something about it, there was likely no better time than the Bush2 years, when the GOP had the house majority for 6 years and the senate for 4 years.

Just curious. Where was your outrage back then?
I never said the GOP wasn't guilty...Personally I wish there was another party that I could vote for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm working in a convenience store making minimum wage. It was a colossal waste of time, as I could have gotten a half decent job in the okay economy right out of high school with my great grades. Instead, I graduated at the bottom of a recession.

Whats your degree in? What state/ city do you live? Asking because i am gathering info to see if i can personally help with job advice. I am sure you are not working in your field of degree since convenience store BA's are very rare!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM

657 posts, read 695,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Where is your evidence that "Handouts are more destructive to society than any good they do?" I can point to countless examples of people who grew up poor and would have stayed in that class, had it not been for subsidized nutrition programs and subsidized college education. Those people grew up to be productive members of society.

The idea that a poor child is better off without enough food, than being fed through SNAP, has no logical foundation. The same goes for publicly provided immunizations.

Conservatives perpetuate the self-serving myth that helping people doesn't really help them but the evidence is scant to support that view.

Winning the war on poverty: New research says government anti-poverty programs are more effective than you realize. - Slate Magazine
You are mis-interpreting my comment. I'm not saying that the government should not help. So stop there...

People in general want to help other people and they are willing to contribute up to a certain amount. When a government beurocrat decides that we need to 'help' more, we have issues. Not only is this simply excuses, it's a way to extort money from the massess. Having said that here is how handouts are bad. I grew up on a single bread winner household with 6 of us. We lived on a minimum wage with zero gov help and i have a bachelor and master degrees. Anyone with a strong body telling me they cannot get a job is full of it.

As a society, you either give, take or both. You either produce, consume or both. Clearly, if you only consume, you are taking from someone else because you give nothing in return. Since everyone pays for these benfits, capital (which should be going to produce other things) goes into consumption. Since many do not drop off willingly, part of the work-force loses skills required to produce.

From the individual level, as you see it, it's all good - i care about myself. From the grander higher view of society, you are simply consuming and giving nothing in return. With others out there in need and having a strong body to give back, how can anyone in this form defend handouts?

I've always said it, i'm blessed with having a decent job, but my 2 hands will never stop working, irrespective of what the job is. Let's stop being full of ourselves and think of how me consuming a meal may be taking it from a 3 year old child.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
...If this want planned long ago, why are the left wanting more on welfare than more off?? This President has multiplied food stamps to a disgusting amount of people who use them. I'm sure some see welfare as not being a burden to society.

And you think this is a result of the President "wanting" it this way, not a reasonable response to the realities of our horrible economy?

Hint: Horrible economy = more people in *need* of the social saftey nets.

Does it get tiring to live seeing a boogeyman in every shadow?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Why do you think this?
Guess this was some what jubbled.........

The left has promoted food stamps and hand outs you can't deny this. This administration is not working on providing ambition in people to start businesses and promoting a mindset that we all need to do most of our providing on our own......limit big government.

Do you find throwing chairs the answer, isn't this what 2 yr olds do when they don't get that 3rd cookie???

Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Housing prices in a number of Michigan cities have dropped considerably plus mortgage interest rates are low -- back to 1960 and 1960 levels. Anyone with any kind of a job can pick up a good foreclosed home but these people don't want to work and have come to believe that the world owes them a living. They want everything handed to them except a job.

Why not do what they do in third world countries where there are no overly generous welfare handout programs? If an adult child cannot make it on his or her own, they simply remain living with their parent(s) and you find homes with 4 generations living in them. Non working adults can certain provide care for their elderly parents and live for free with them.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
And you think this is a result of the President "wanting" it this way, not a reasonable response to the realities of our horrible economy?

Don't be fooled -- Obama has expanded NAFTA and he's encouraging massive illegal immigration -- not because he just happens to prefer foreigners who come here illegally over the American people but because his beloved corporations want cheap labor.

Obama is a globalist. Just like Bill Clinton is.

We can't just keep robbing the fewer and fewer working Americans of all their income to keep the never-employed living a grand lifestyle. It's not sustainable and in many parts of the country, the birth rate is much higher with the food stamp - Medicaid crowd -- the welfare recipients are growing very fast in numbers.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:

Hint: Horrible economy = more people in *need* of the social safety nets.

Does it get tiring to live seeing a bogeyman in every shadow?
Who pays for all those people thinking they need a safety net.......you really think the money is free from the government?

No bogeyman.......it's called when your checking account (American Government) no longer has money in it and all you you have is a credit card (China) to pay your bills it's time to check your spending habits.

Why do you believe it's the government who should provide this "need for a safety net"???

Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:

Hint..the eligibility requirements were relaxed so more now qualify.

You don't have to have a job anymore to qualify for food stamps is one example.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Who pays for all those people thinking they need a safety net.......you really think the money is free from the government?

No bogeyman.......it's called when your checking account (American Government) no longer has money in it and all you you have is a credit card (China) to pay your bills it's time to check your spending habits.

Why do you believe it's the government who should provide this "need for a safety net"???
I think most liberals seriously believe that the government just has a whole lot of money and that no one would really have to work and pay taxes to keep it going.

They think all Americans can be unemployed and have a wonderful standard of living --- just tax those multinational corporations enough and voila! Plenty of free money for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies