Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,967 times

Advertisements

I am personally grateful for SOME of the changes due to health care reform. My husband has Type 1 Diabetes (he was diagnosed at age 7 and is now 36) (just in case someone does not know means that he did absolutely nothing to cause his illness and there is no cure...I realize most people do know this but you would be surprised at the number of people who don't). We were able to get him on a wireless insulin pump last year which has greatly helped regulate his blood sugar. The wireless insulin pump supplies are extremely expensive and without insurance they would be unaffordable.

Well,this year my husband's employer changed insurance and with the new insurance there is a $2500 limit on DME (Durable Medical Equipment) supplies (a 3 month supply of the Pods that deliver insulin to him cost about $3800 before insurance). However thanks to the changes that went into effect on 9/2010 his insurance can not put a cap on items that are considered "essential" diabetic supplies being one of those.

Last edited by sherrenee; 01-16-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until it is free.

It sucks having to now pay for substance abuse programs and fertility treatments or any other "condition" that I will never have.
My increased premiums will go to pay for such things as domestic and interpersonal violence counseling, along with weight management.

I believe they took out the paid visits for end of life counselling.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
My increased premiums will go to pay for such things as domestic and interpersonal violence counseling, along with weight management.

I believe they took out the paid visits for end of life counselling.
Actually counseling for those issues can save a heap load of money down the road.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually counseling for those issues can save a heap load of money down the road.
I doubt it. My guess is I won't be seeing any premium reductions as a result of paying for this. Heck, I'm still waiting for BO's promised $2500 in savings.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,967 times
This is just a question for the people that are commenting/complaining about the changes, have you had a serious health issue/have you had a life threatening illness that requires constant maintenance in order for you to stay alive and/or have a decent quality of life? I ask this because if you are someone who at this moment is healthy and has zero health issues it can be hard to understand where the other side is coming from.

As I stated in my earlier post my husband has had Type 1 diabetes for 29 years, he did absolutely nothing to cause his illness nor was there a single thing he could have done to prevent it. My husband is lucky for someone who has had Type 1 for as long as he has he is still healthy, if he did not have access to affordable medical care that scenario would be totally different, thus possibly costing more than helping him maintain a healthy lifestyle for his life span.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I am personally grateful for SOME of the changes due to health care reform. My husband has Type 1 Diabetes (he was diagnosed at age 7 and is now 36) (just in case someone does not know means that he did absolutely nothing to cause his illness and there is no cure...I realize most people do know this but you would be surprised at the number of people who don't). We were able to get him on a wireless insulin pump last year which has greatly helped regulate his blood sugar. The wireless insulin pump supplies are extremely expensive and without insurance they would be unaffordable.

Well,this year my husband's employer changed insurance and with the new insurance there is a $2500 limit on DME (Durable Medical Equipment) supplies (a 3 month supply of the Pods that deliver insulin to him cost about $3800 before insurance). However thanks to the changes that went into effect on 9/2010 his insurance can not put a cap on items that are considered "essential" diabetic supplies being one of those.

I'm delighted for you.

I have a niece who would be uninsured right now were it not for the change in maximum age under family coverage to 26. The early 20s age group added is an extremely inexpensive group to cover, thus it helped enable changes like limiting lifetime caps.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Thanks to Obama care, my yearly checkups have gone down. Preventative care like mamograms, pelvic exams, and pap tests are next to $0 in payments (a copay for some of the services); care that will likely catch much more serious issues down the road if I didn't have them.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 AM

27,154 posts, read 15,327,118 times
My Premiums with the same unchanged low benefits, high deductable has increased 55% in the past two years.

We never went to the Doctor for any little thing.
Now we don't go at unless we have no choice at all and if it's not an emergency it will be if we don't go.

We are fearful of inducing any medical costs.

Just as he wanted it to be.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, the 4% increase in premiums (lowest since at least 1999) is absorbed solely by right wingers. Cool! Now you know why you should have supported Public Option at the minimum.
I am fairly Sure, Albert Einstein, my 5th cousin, would not make the mistake of altering the figure of 82% to 4%.

My insurance only went up 37%, but then I went to a less expensive plan. Staying with my original plan would have increased my insurance 61%, even with it's increased deductible.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Read the post! EinsteinsGhost is talking about the AVERAGE increase in cost in premiums over the year.
Read the post, he never said ANYTHING about average cost.

Additionally, it may be interesting to note WHAT average costs he is talking about, the amount people END UP paying, if their company absorbs the increase, or the ACTUAL insurance increases.

If you do not figure in the fact many companies pay the lions share of the premium, and look at the actual premium increase, your 4% figure becomes highly inaccurate.

Health Insurers Raise Some Rates by Double Digits
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Obamacare Guarantees Higher Health Insurance Premiums -- $3,000+ Higher - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies