Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Even after selecting the cheapest plan with the highest deductibles, my premiums are up 82% over last year. That's to pay for all of the ObamaCare mandates, taxes and fees.

But he doesn't care... we pay for HIS health care too.

I read through the entire thread. I guess it would help if you gave some details such as how much was your premium last year, and what is your new premium payment. Same for deductible. Did you cross an age bracket? Did the insurance company find out you smoke? Drink? Add a new child to the policy?

Simply saying 82 percent of an unknown figure doesn't provide any information. Was your monthly premium $100, and go up to $182?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, the 4% increase in premiums (lowest since at least 1999) is absorbed solely by right wingers. Cool! Now you know why you should have supported Public Option at the minimum.
If you believe health insurance premiums are only going up 4% this year, I have some ocean front land in Wyoming to sell you.

"Many actuaries, such as those in the international consulting firm Oliver Wyman, are now predicting an average increase of roughly 50% in premiums for some in the individual market for the same coverage."

Matthews and Litow: ObamaCare's Health-Insurance Sticker Shock - WSJ.com

Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I read through the entire thread. I guess it would help if you gave some details such as how much was your premium last year, and what is your new premium payment. Same for deductible. Did you cross an age bracket? Did the insurance company find out you smoke? Drink? Add a new child to the policy?

Simply saying 82 percent of an unknown figure doesn't provide any information. Was your monthly premium $100, and go up to $182?
went from $66 to $120 every two weeks. No additions. Same deductible. It's group insurance, so they don't know who smokes or drinks.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times
Quote:
went from $66 to $120 every two weeks. No additions. Same deductible. It's group insurance, so they don't know who smokes or drinks.
Ahh, that adds a different dynamic which isn't the sole fault of Obamacare, it's your employer passing more of the buck to you. Now what their rates went up by, they are not going to tell but it is safe to assume that went up because they go up every year or whatever contract term they sign on with. It is possible your employer's rates went up a small amount and they just decided to pass on more the buck to you. It happens as insurance has never been cheap for an employer and usually what we pay is but a fraction of the actual cost per employee, the company generally picks up the bulk of the tab without the employee knowing or truly understanding that is the case.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
That rate even at $240 a month is not a high insurance premium. Even if rates after 2014 climb to extreme highs, in which I've already reached several years ago, it can not be sustainable and the US will end up with a single payer, either federal or state by state. And its what should happen.

Maybe your employer is contributing less to the group coverage and passing it on to its employees?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Your beliefs are the reason why I keep saying... you deserve it. If you want to see what President claimed, you should have supported him on THAT platform.
President lied

Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
If you believe health insurance premiums are only going up 4% this year, I have some ocean front land in Wyoming to sell you.
Never bet your livelihood on beliefs. But, if you insist, show me that property you claim here. I suspect it is just as imaginary as your claims on health insurance costs.
Quote:
But, did your health insurance premiums go up (what is paid in your behalf for the coverage, INCLUDING your contributions), or did your employer decide to make your share larger and shrink its share? Companies have been doing that for a LONG time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
President lied
Keep parroting. Its all you've got.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:

Thanks. That helps put it into perspective. That is a pretty big jump.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
the national average is among the lowest it has been
Do you have a link for that

What did Congress/Obama understand about "for profit" private
insurance company purchase mandate? Absolutely everything

"In 2008, the Kaiser Foundation's annual survey of employee health benefits reported that employer-sponsored insurance premiums for families were up by five percent. Family premiums for employer-sponsored insurance rose by five percent again in 2009, and by about three percent in 2010. In Kaiser's 2011 survey, the first report a full year after the passage of ObamaCare, family premiums are up by nine percent"

A Year And a Half After ObamaCare, Employee Health Insurance Premiums Spike - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Do you have a link for that
A Link

Quote:
What did Congress/Obama understand about "for profit" private insurance company purchase mandate? Absolutely everything
Congress includes republicans, no? Were they the ones supporting Public Option, much less Universal Health Care program? But, trust me, there are corrupt democrats too, who wanted to appease their political sponsors. The President worked on this compromise to get something done, rather than as an idea he really wanted.

But, this summarizes where the idea of mandate comes from:
The Torturous History of Conservatives and the Individual Mandate

Quote:
"In 2008, the Kaiser Foundation's annual survey of employee health benefits reported that employer-sponsored insurance premiums for families were up by five percent. Family premiums for employer-sponsored insurance rose by five percent again in 2009, and by about three percent in 2010. In Kaiser's 2011 survey, the first report a full year after the passage of ObamaCare, family premiums are up by nine percent"

A Year And a Half After ObamaCare, Employee Health Insurance Premiums Spike - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Kaiser Family Foundation: Family Health Premiums Rise 4 Percent to Average $15,745 in 2012

When was the last time you remember seeing 4% increase in premiums? I would like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies