Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Good point. You win. How can I compete w/ your story of knowing people that don't like cops...
You can stick to talking about places you know. Like the northside of Chicago. You can talk about how folks up there call 911 on the drop of the hat, and send their kids to prep schools. Please don't act like a self appointed representative for us. It's extremely patronizing and annoying. Get out man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 03:23 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Lol... so you're raising a logical fallacy to defend another logical fallacy, and you're saying that my logic is poor. Uh huh.

Anyway, to the meat of the matter.

Do most gun crimes in the city happen inside the home, or outside the home?
I raised no logical fallacy. You raised a logical fallacy. Care to point out which logical fallacy I have employed in my argument so far?

It's a fabrication to claim that those affected by gun violence are somehow more apt to make decisions regarding gun legislation. Ergo, your argument is reduced to "argumentum ad populum".

Being a victim of gun violence in no way shape or form gives you any enhanced ability to analyze gun control policy and make a more valid decision than any other person.

Edit - I would also like to ask that you post something more detailed than "70% support gun control" as that is an extremely broad statement. Among the general population, support for different methods of gun control range from 10% to 90%.

Last edited by rw47; 01-19-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
You can stick to talking about places you know. Like the northside of Chicago. You can talk about how folks up there call 911 on the drop of the hat, and send their kids to prep schools. Please don't act like a self appointed representative for us. It's extremely patronizing and annoying. Get out man.
You don't understand......They KNOW what is really in your best interest!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I raised no logical fallacy. You raised a logical fallacy. Care to point out which logical fallacy I have employed in my argument so far?

It's a fabrication to claim that those affected by gun violence are somehow more apt to make decisions regarding gun legislation. Ergo, your argument is reduced to "argumentum ad populum".

Being a victim of gun violence in no way shape or form gives you any enhanced ability to analyze gun control policy and make a more valid decision than any other person.
You inferred it when you said you opposed my point b/c you'll "take the facts and statistical evidence." There are NO "facts and statistical evidence" to support the NRA talking point that more guns protects people better than fewer guns in the street. If you say there is, you're lying.

The NRA & your argument are on the same level as people saying "Afghans would be better off w/ American values" but the Afghans say "No we wouldn't." At the end of the day, I'll agree w/ what the people who are dealing w/ the problem think would best help their situation.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
if guns protect from gun violence they are doing a pretty bad job of it.
to be fair its wrong to blame it on firearms. i blame it on beating people into apathy with pro criminal laws litigation and anti victim law suits. if i interfere with a crime or try to defend my home and loved ones--- criminal charges are possible- civil law suit is probable.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Lol... who is "us?" The people I speak with are definitely not in your "us." The 70% of Black & Hispanic Americans are definitely not in your "us." My parents and family are definitely not in your "us." So please, elaborate on who your "us" is?

All you've done this thread is expose yourself as ONE OF THE CRIMINALS. Of course you don't want cops & gun control. I can imagine how much they'd hurt you:

Quote:
If you want to buy an AK 47 I can sell you one. And not the cheap knock offs either.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Edit - I would also like to ask that you post something more detailed than "70% support gun control" as that is an extremely broad statement. Among the general population, support for different methods of gun control range from 10% to 90%.
It's already in the thread.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:44 PM

So far, my favorite thing about this thread is when the pseudo-arms dealer comes in all like "We don't want cops interrupting our lives [selling AKs]!" and the pro-gun crowd is all "Yeah! If the arms dealer doesn't want cops, it's obviously the right move!"

Lol... let's face it. He just proved my point.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:47 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
You inferred it when you said you opposed my point b/c you'll "take the facts and statistical evidence." There are NO "facts and statistical evidence" to support the NRA talking point that more guns protects people better than fewer guns in the street. If you say there is, you're lying.
1. If the evidence is so clearly in favor of your position, why do you resort to logical fallacies?
2. There are no more conclusive facts and evidence to support the position that gun control reduces crime than there are to support the inverse.
3. Points #1 and #2 are irrelevant. It really doesn't matter what is true or what is not true in the current discussion we are having, regarding whether or not the particular argument you are currently making is a valid one.

Your argument does not hold water, because it's not based on anything except the repeated assertion that those people are right and everyone else is wrong.

You have zero concrete evidence to prove any type of causal relationship between exposure to gun violence and an enhanced ability to judge gun control policy, henceforth, again, your argument is reduced to "argumentum ad populum."

Quote:
The NRA & your argument are on the same level as people saying "Afghans would be better off w/ American values" but the Afghans say "No we wouldn't." At the end of the day, I'll agree w/ what the people who are dealing w/ the problem think would best help their situation.
Well I am truly sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this type of simplistic reasoning is at its core a logical fallacy, period.

If the Americans had actual arguments that were more valid than the Afghans' arguments, the Americans would be right and the Afghans would be wrong. If the Afghans had actual arguments that were more valid than the Americans' arguments, the Afghans would be right and the Americans would be wrong.

Anything else falls far short of any conclusive debate. At best, you have a gut feeling.

Quote:
It's already in the thread.
Well are you going to help me out here and tell me which page it's on? Because I really don't feel like digging through 13 pages of discussion to find one link.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Quote:
Lol... who is "us?" The people I speak with are definitely not in your "us." The 70% of Black & Hispanic Americans are definitely not in your "us." My parents and family are definitely not in your "us." So please, elaborate on who your "us" is?

All you've done this thread is expose yourself as ONE OF THE CRIMINALS. Of course you don't want cops & gun control. I can imagine how much they'd hurt you:
One thing is clear and you're not one of the people who live in the inner city. Blacks nor Mexicans in the inner city don't want gun control. You know literally next to nothing. But you insist on lying. Why are you in our business? Why not stick to business that concerns you on the northside of the loop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies