Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times

Advertisements

AH-64D Apache Longbow - "Destroying Targets" - YouTube
I mean as a Canadian Glad to have Price Harry flying overhead and well kicking the Taliban's Butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
[quote]Umm would have no problem with Princ harry providing NATO/ISAF troops with some close Air support since he is freaking taking out the Taliban insurgents shooting at our troops and he puts his life on the line to serve and he actually fights on the front line he has my Respect and if he is saving our troops lifes then what is the issue?[/quote

This^^^^

Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
To put this into perspective, you should have gone further back in time. Carter was helping afghan rebel fighters before Reagan got the U.S. more involved. But the object was to have Russians kicked out of Afghanistan.

This link provides a timeline of events

Afghanistan, the CIA, bin Laden, and the Taliban
But...........but...........Carter is a democrat!!! Tell me it isn't so!!! That timeline has to be a lie!!! It has to Ford's fault and Carter inherited that plan - it originated with the Ford administration!!! (Yeah, that's the ticket.)

Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
The UK should do everything in their power to keep the prince from returning to Afghanistan, because the Taliban would love to lay their hands on him.

The prince should also learn how to keep his big mouth shut.

Taliban Threatens to Kill Prince Harry - ABC News

Looks like two pronged attack thread to me, one aimed at republicans, the other at the Prince?
If you're confused, you are not alone.
They already tried to kill him back in September. It was one of the biggest attacks at a military complex in Afghanistan with a firefight that lasted 3 hours during which 2 Americans were killed and 6 jets were destroyed. Send him the hell back to the UK where he belongs.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Yes that's the problem Reagan got us more involved with the Taliban because they are conservatives. And don't get me started on the right wing extreme alliance between Reagan and Pakistan's General Ziaul Haq around the same time...Reagan was all too excited to support radical Taliban like governments around the world and the people have suffered. And now we have the radical TeaParty in America with dirt poor ratings.
What would you call Obama's alliance with Morsi, Karzi, and Musharraf? As long as we keep funding those countries they will be our "allies", three countries that harbor the most hatred for the US (Iran being number one). When they are well funded and well equipped, they will be our enemies.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,959 times
Quote:
Correct, from your link:

Some people have differing opinions as to when the Taliban came into the picture, and I think we can say they were in it from 1979 to present.
Yes yet it was only a predominate force after the Soviets left. I have read the Taliban by Ahmed Rashid. It is a great read.

Ahmed Rashid, who has covered the Afghan wars for more than 20 years as a correspondent for the Far Eastern Economic Review and the Daily Telegraph,
“Taliban” by Ahmed Rashid - Salon.com

In addition I also attempted a University unit on the subject of Islam and Terrorism. The accademic stated that the Taliban evolved in Pakistan by refugees from Afganistan during the 1980s.

Last edited by other99; 01-23-2013 at 04:27 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
On 10 March 2011, it was revealed that Prince Harry had passed his Apache flying test and he was awarded his Apache Flying Badge on 14 April 2011. There was speculation that he would return to Afghanistan once again, before the withdrawal in 2015. On 16 April 2011, it was announced that Prince Harry had been promoted to the Army rank of captain after having held the rank of lieutenant since 2008.

In June 2011, Clarence House announced that Prince Harry, on completion of his training conversion course to use Apache helicopters in the war arena, would be available for deployment, including in current operations in Afghanistan, in his role as an Apache helicopter pilot. The final decision will ultimately rest with the Ministry of Defence's senior commanders, including principally the Chief of the Defence Staff in consultation with the wishes of Harry, his father the Prince of Wales and the Queen.

In October, Prince Harry was transferred to a US military base in California to complete his helicopter gunship training. This final phase will include live-fire training as well as "environmental and judgment training" at naval and air force facilities in California and Arizona.

The majority of those completing the two-month Apache training are deployed to the front lines in Afghanistan.
In the same month, it was reported that Prince Harry was said to be a natural pilot who was reportedly top of his class in the extensive training he had undertaken at the Naval Air Facility, El Centro, California.

On November 2011, Prince Harry returned to England from military training in the United States. Next, he went to Wattisham Flying Station in Suffolk, southeast England, to complete his training to fly Apache helicopters.

On 7 September 2012, Captain Wales as he is known in the military, arrived at Camp Bastion in southern Afghanistan as part of the 100-strong 662 Squadron, 3 Regiment, Army Air Corps,[48] to begin a four-month combat tour as a co-pilot and gunner for an Apache helicopter

Umm would have no problem with Princ harry providing NATO/ISAF troops with some close Air support since he is freaking taking out the Taliban insurgents shooting at our troops and he puts his life on the line to serve and he actually fights on the front line he has my Respect and if he is saving our troops lifes then what is the issue?
YIKES!!!! Harry is a one man army saving the lives of the US military. Who knew.

He has my respect as well. The same respect I give to our US military soldiers and all other military soldiers and non-military personnel that are involved in the action.

When deployed to Afghanistan, why did the UK press advertise all his info? All his details get published, he shows up in Afghanistan and Camp Bastion was attacked by the Taliban looking for Prince Harry, 2 US military die and 6 US jets destroyed because the Taliban was looking for one person. He's doing the job he signed up for, the enemy doesn't need to know his movements. I would think it best to keep his details as confidential as possible. We have sons of high placed military personnel and public figures who are serving in the military. Do we publish their details so that the enemy can find new targets??

He's stationed at Camp Bastion which is shared by the US and the UK. It is like a luxury hotel compared to the living conditions of those off the camp, and he's a pilot. The role of the pilot is as important as the role of every single person who sees action. But it's different when you are sitting in a well of mud, eating MREs, having not taken a shower for 2 weeks, chit stuck to your azz, same uniform for 2 weeks, and being in a camp where in between missions you get to play video games, watch TV, take a shower, eat decent food and change your clothes every day.

Life for Harry at Camp Bastion:

Prince Harry Camp Bastion: 'I'm not academic but I thrash the guys at Fifa' | Mail Online

Old 01-23-2013, 05:19 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Remember the time and exactly who the Taliban were fighting.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Great nations have no permanent friends, only permanent interests.
Very often the enemy of my enemy is also my enemy, too bad the US continues to ignore that simple little fact.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well it was formed in the Madrassas in Pakistan by refugees from Afganistan yet during the 1980s they were not the main resistance group. This changed in 1994 when Pakistan especially supplied military goods and aid to the group in order to protect the roads in Afganistan. History of the Taliban
The "Taliban" was a backlash against the wanton debauchery of the warlords after the fall of Najibullah and the civil war between factions of what once was the mujahed. The "Taliban" is not a coordinated movement, or one entity. This is why I put it in quotes. It's a spiritual awakening and that awakening only happened in the 90s and primarily amongst people too young to have fought the Soviets. There was no sense of need of this spiritual revival during the fight of the Soviets during the 80s. It was only needed due to lack of unity and direction during the civil war. Describing the "Taliban" as an entity or party is like saying Gringrich's "contract with America" is a party or entity. It wasn't. It was a reorganization, revitalization, and recognition of the reason they beat the Soviets, by swift sword of God, and that swift sword beheaded the warlords out for profit and not Islam.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,926 times
Quote:
From this information, I believe they did.
This ^

The soviet-era mujahideen had various political groups such as the people who formed the Taliban, Jami’at-i-Islami and Hizb-i-Islami. The lawlessness that resulted because of the Reagan admins negligence in dealing with the Afghans after the Cold War allowed Mullah Omar (who in his mujahadeen days was part of Harakat-i-Inqilab-i-Islami and supported by the US as well) to form the "Taliban" resistance against other mujahadeen groups.

This is the primary reason why the Taliban still have weapons supplied by the Reagan admin: Taliban still have Reagan's Stingers - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies