Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
A branch of my family comes from "the ghetto." And I do mean "the ghetto" - the worst, stereotypical image that you can conjure up in your head would probably be very accurate.

I am so very proud of the generation of 20 somethings that have come from that side of the family. WITHOUT EXCEPTION and armed with only a public school education and strength of character, the young women of this generation of illegitimate children born to crackhead moms with kids from a wide variety of men they never married, have escaped the ghetto.

These strong young women (for some reason, none of the young men have managed to pull themselves out of this quagmire) don't use ebonics or ghetto slang. They finished their public education with 3.0 or better GPAs. They've gone on to college, and/or into white collar jobs. Not one of them has an illegitimate child. They are married to men who actually work full time in real jobs.

These African American girls were raised in abject poverty by drug abusing mothers on public assistance. They grew up surrounded by poverty, malnutrition, crime, violence, abuse and neglect. Yet, they managed to use what resources were available to them to change their lives for the better.

I don't see why others can't do the same. It takes a lot of strength and perseverance but it definitely is possible.

This is true, but what I realize is that these children also need examples and role models to guide them out of the mess that surrounds them. Many blacks who worked hard and removed themselves from the hood turn their backs on those behind and pretend like their own experiences never happened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Do you know the struggle of the black man, I don't think you do, the most pushed view of the black man in the media is a feminized, subordinate and weak. Same with school teachers, and the real black men have been imprisoned or silenced or for the most part are just too old. So to be real the young black male is misguided and lost. They don't want to aspire to be great not because they are not capable but because of what's being fed to their subconscious mind. And once again most are asleep, not knowing where they are from and who they are, same with black women, its just that in this system of white supremacy they are given better advancement because they pose less of a threat. Not hating on the sisters for them making it or anything but you need to be aware of the system at play, how it operates, and what's the reason for such.
Thats what dave said:

Dave Chappelle on the feminizing of Blackmen - YouTube

Why Does Hollywood Love To Dress A Black Man? | Yush

Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
Hmmm... Bill is totally right. How can these Ghetto kids go far in life talking Ebonics. They and their parents need to talk in proper English at home like everyone else. Even Immigrants try to learn the proper English! The Government can't really make them unfortunately. I wish the Government did though. And then you get these rich Black celebrities and they talk Ghetto as well. They are rich!!! Pay someone to teach you speak proper English! But I guess you start 'acting white' if you do?

These fatherless Ghetto kids look up to these Ghetto male celebrities a lot unfortunately.
Hmmm..."Ghetto" isn't capitalized unless it's the first word of a sentence or referencing the song from either Elvis or Too Short. "Government" also isn't a proper noun, nor is the word "Immigrants." There are some commas missing as well. "Black" isn't a proper noun in that usage, either. There are also a few missing commas in some rather obvious places. Also, maybe I'm a tad uppity when it comes to the "proper English," but I'd never start a sentence with the word "but."

I know, I know. It's only a message board. Yet you are stressing usage of the proper English, are you not?

Source: "Ghetto" black person taught in public (Government) schools in the state of Georgia, from kindergarten to degree. Have a nice day.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,143 times
Default Unchain your mind

Quote:
Do you know the struggle of the black man, I don't think you do, the most pushed view of the black man in the media is a feminized, subordinate and weak. Same with school teachers, and the real black men have been imprisoned or silenced or for the most part are just too old. So to be real the young black male is misguided and lost. They don't want to aspire to be great not because they are not capable but because of what's being fed to their subconscious mind. And once again most are asleep, not knowing where they are from and who they are, same with black women, its just that in this system of white supremacy they are given better advancement because they pose less of a threat. Not hating on the sisters for them making it or anything but you need to be aware of the system at play, how it operates, and what's the reason for such.

Please, stop making excuses, make progress! If our wonderful Women of Color can make it, so can our Men of Color!

Getto/Hip Hop/Rap culture is vile and very anti-woman. How does that culture lift up our Black Nation?

I think it's kind of a Stockholm syndrome.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
I was married to a black man and we have four kids together.

This man was born into abject poverty and grew up in the ghetto. Neither of his parents finished high school. His parents weren't married when he was born but they did eventually get married. They divorced after his father stabbed his mother in front of the kids (she survived). When I met him, his mother was living in public housing IN DA HOOD and his father was living in a shack, which burned to the ground shortly after we got married because it was in such terrible shape. He then moved into a storage building till he could find a woman to move in with. Eventually they got married and moved "up" into the ghetto.

My exhusband is now a COL in the US Army and has three college degrees. Please - don't lecture me on the "struggles of the black man."

Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
And what is wrong with that? I am sure White people hate how Ghetto White Trash people talk as well? So why can't another minority hate how others of their Ethnic/Race act and talk? I am Hispanic but I hate seeing other Hispanics acting Ghetto. There are plenty of poor people of all races that don't act Ghetto and don't talk Ebonics and are very respectful.

Bill speaks the truth and he should keep reminding us and the new young Generations about the embarrassing issue with the glorification of the Ghetto generation.
Yep and I'm half-white and live in the South and I don't like the trailer trash who live up to the redneck stereotypes. This goes across all races. We all have disadvantaged people who make no effort whatsoever to cease being disadvantaged.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM

799 posts, read 1,094,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post

Please, stop making excuses, make progress! If our wonderful Women of Color can make it, so can our Men of Color!

Getto/Hip Hop/Rap culture is vile and very anti-woman. How does that culture lift up our Black Nation?

I think it's kind of a Stockholm syndrome.
See ignorance is bliss, don't lump Hip hop and rap into what the mainstream shows you, you need to dig deep rather than taking everything at face value. Listen to Keep Ya Head Up by Tupac for starters, where all he is talking bout is empowering and inspiring black women. Even today, we still got hip hop artists who in the hood talking about the women in their lives like their queens, but like I said ignorance is bliss. I think you're either an old timer or somebody who is not black, calling us Men/Women of Color, smh. And btw were making progress but were still in the woods, maybe you're the one with Stockholm Syndrome, you can't understand that War is all based off Deception, real war and when you know your enemy you're more than likely to win the war. And when you don't know yourself you're more then likely to lose the war. I'm describing blacks in America and abroad who lost a sense of self...

Quote:
I was married to a black man and we have four kids together.

This man was born into abject poverty and grew up in the ghetto. Neither of his parents finished high school. His parents weren't married when he was born but they did eventually get married. They divorced after his father stabbed his mother in front of the kids (she survived). When I met him, his mother was living in public housing IN DA HOOD and his father was living in a shack, which burned to the ground shortly after we got married because it was in such terrible shape. He then moved into a storage building till he could find a woman to move in with. Eventually they got married and moved "up" into the ghetto.

My exhusband is now a COL in the US Army and has three college degrees. Please - don't lecture me on the "struggles of the black man."
See I'm a young black man today in Amerikkka and I first hand experienced what happens to a black man and go through the mistreatment that we do, I'm not comparing this to the times of 60's but I know we go through it today on a covert level. I know how the "Just Us"(justice) System operates and how penetrating the effects are first-hand, I also know how the military plays its role in policing urban neighborhoods. And the thing I noticed about black people who joined the army they have much discontent for blacks. As I said before we going through this is very systematic with statues, codes, legislation, and laws that target us. By the way the military is nothing than people turned killing machines in the name of "freedom" so the army is just a corporate tool for corporations to use for gains... I have no respect for it or the soldiers out there killing other people in foreign lands for no reason, you can miss me with that one Kathryn.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
See I'm a young black man today in Amerikkka and I first hand experienced what happens to a black man and go through the mistreatment that we do, I'm not comparing this to the times of 60's but I know we go through it today on a covert level. I know how the "Just Us"(justice) System operates and how penetrating the effects are first-hand, I also know how the military plays its role in policing urban neighborhoods. And the thing I noticed about black people who joined the army they have much discontent for blacks. As I said before we going through this is very systematic with statues, codes, legislation, and laws that target us. By the way the military is nothing than people turned killing machines in the name of "freedom" so the army is just a corporate tool for corporations to use for gains... I have no respect for it or the soldiers out there killing other people in foreign lands for no reason, you can miss me with that one Kathryn.
I'm not concerned about whether or not I "miss you" or whether or not you share the same opinions as I do. What I'm saying is that you have ONE experience - you don't speak for all AA men and women, thank goodness. There are AA men and women in this country who DO have the strength of character to rise above any disadvantage there may be in their lives, and who refuse to categorize themselves as victims. I have great respect for people with that mindset, whether you can relate to them or respect them or not.

I know that my AA family members are not in jail, they aren't being discriminated against, they speak and communicate in standard English, they carry themselves with dignity, and they pay it forward. They aren't looking for any reasons as to why they "can't succeed." Instead, they simply ARE succeeding, in both their personal and professional lives. And when I say "they" I mean the YOUNG ones - the ones in their twenties and early thirties. I am very, very proud to be related to them.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,950 times
Quote:
I'm not concerned about whether or not I "miss you" or whether or not you share the same opinions as I do. What I'm saying is that you have ONE experience - you don't speak for all AA men and women, thank goodness. There are AA men and women in this country who DO have the strength of character to rise above any disadvantage there may be in their lives, and who refuse to categorize themselves as victims. I have great respect for people with that mindset, whether you can relate to them or respect them or not.

I know that my AA family members are not in jail, they aren't being discriminated against, they speak and communicate in standard English, they carry themselves with dignity, and they pay it forward. They aren't looking for any reasons as to why they "can't succeed." Instead, they simply ARE succeeding, in both their personal and professional lives. And when I say "they" I mean the YOUNG ones - the ones in their twenties and early thirties. I am very, very proud to be related to them.
Look, don't tell me that I have a victim mentality when I study black history of the world, but specifically the history of blacks in America. I have the strength of self to not take what's being force-fed to me by the media, the public education system, and the religious system that is rampant throughout the corporations that run America. Starting young here, you'll know and hear about me by the time I reach 30, oh and by the way there are people in America with the same mindset that I have, yeah we out here .

Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Look, don't tell me that I have a victim mentality when I study black history of the world, but specifically the history of blacks in America. I have the strength of self to not take what's being force-fed to me by the media, the public education system, and the religious system that is rampant throughout the corporations that run America. Starting young here, you'll know and hear about me by the time I reach 30, oh and by the way there are people in America with the same mindset that I have, yeah we out here .
Look, I never said you had a victim mentality. But I'm sure that many people do have that mindset - I see them all around me. The fact that you assume that I said you HAVE a victim mentality is very telling, by the way.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-28-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies