Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know how this matters or how it came up but....

I suspect that being born in Havana would qualify one as being a Cuban American

Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat Biography - Project Vote Smart

Investiture of Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat | CUBAN AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION
Harrier said that the judge was probably a liberal Democrat. which I found amusing, having worked in Miami courts. Seemed to me that a large number of state court judges in Miami were Cuban American, and throwing out the statement that that judge was probably a liberal Democrat because Harrier didn't like his finding that girl in contempt of court was just, in the context of Miami FL, well....struck me as funny.

Thanks for the link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That IS the attitude of many people today. They don't give a damn about anything and see themselves as victims of everything.
It's the prescription drugs.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Rivi! That's right. Maybe the secretaries were paid off, but I tend to think that they were just gullible and stupid. They both lost their jobs, and I'm sure Rivi could not have cared less. If they were paid off, it had to be lots of money because I don't think they would be able to find jobs as secretaries after that. It was news all over Miami. And, yes, in the documentary he came off as a very charming sociopath or psychopath.
It was Miami in the 90s. Money was literally springing from the ground. I'm sure those girls were just fine.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM

147 posts, read 284,936 times
Sorry I'm still confused, was she originally found carrying 4 tonnes of Xanax or something? Xanax is legal in the US and one of the most commonly used drugs by the average Joe-soap ~ no?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3783 View Post
Hahahahah you HAVE to be a troll. "Be respectful"??? PFFFFFHAHAHAHAHA after you champion a drug-addled disrespectful twit for using much harsher language, against a judge, while facing a felony possession charge? BWAHAHAHAHAHAH you are a special kind of troll mahahahahahah
What she said was disrespectful. Imprisoning her is an unjust answer.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
For those who support the judges actions, let me ask you this:

Who is the victim of her alleged crime? Who can show demonstrable damages by her possession of Xanax bars?
That's for the state legislature and the Courts to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In California - all misdemeanor and felony defendants are offered a public defender before they make their plea at the arraignment. Often times a PD is appointed for a felony defendant - but midemeanor defendants may choose to represent themselves.
This wasn't an arraignment, it was a bond hearing/first appearance and no plea is entered. All the judge is establishing whether or not the person will be released on bond or remanded to custody. The contempt citation is appealable and given the opportunity to sober up and get a lawyer she could have the sentence reduced or completely dismissed. It ain't like she got sent to the tower of London.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3783 View Post
Hahahahah you HAVE to be a troll. "Be respectful"??? PFFFFFHAHAHAHAHA after you champion a drug-addled disrespectful twit for using much harsher language, against a judge, while facing a felony possession charge? BWAHAHAHAHAHAH you are a special kind of troll mahahahahahah
Why is it that someone who has a different world view and different experiences is so abhorrent to you? Your reaction is what makes me think you're a cop. The Internet is full of people from all kinds of backgrounds with many different perspectives. That's one of the things which makes it interesting.

"drug-addled disrespectful twit"........yeah, that sounds really logical and well thought out. Why didn't you just describe her as the defendant or some other descriptor other than "TWIT"......She was clearly in contempt of Court, she clearly was behaving badly, and it could have been because she was still high or because she just didn't know how to behave.

Yes, I think she should have been held in contempt of court for the way she talked to the Judge, and I certainly think she NEEDS a good lawyer in re the criminal charges....even if that lawyer is a public defender. Why would you think every-day folks who go into courtrooms know the proper behavior?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesyd View Post
Sorry I'm still confused, was she originally found carrying 4 tonnes of Xanax or something? Xanax is legal in the US and one of the most commonly used drugs by the average Joe-soap ~ no?
Xanax is a controlled substance in the U.S. and possession of a controlled substance without a prescription is illegal.

Btw, what is "4 tonnes"?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM

147 posts, read 284,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Xanax is a controlled substance in the U.S. and possession of a controlled substance without a prescription is illegal.

Btw, what is "4 tonnes"?
Ton vs. tonne - Grammarist

Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I got a big kick out of her little narcissistic self playing with her hair while fire and brimstone were about to rain down on her. Stupid in the extreme.
Was she stoned when she watched "My Cousin Vinny"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd1JCJ1iSQg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies