Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
some folks dont qualify for welfare so student loans take its place to live without working. A neighbor has racked up 100,000 in just 3 years,it pays mortgage,food beer cigs etc. all for a going to class what seems like part time. has no intention of paying it back. A blemish on those truly seeking a good education and a rewarding career.
You'd rather have her tanning in the back yard and collecting welfare? I'd say no...unless she's really hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
It is about staying competitive in a global economy. Of course people will still choose to not go to school and work for less money. But if you think foreigners are not getting degree's in engineering, Cpu science and Medicine then you are not paying attention. Why not incentivize American youth to pursue those professions?
Bingo, as a nation, we are falling behind other countries in terms of the percentage of our citizens with degrees, advanced degrees, etc. That is deadly.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay.

What is a degree in Anthropology worth?
They make for more interesting bartenders than the kids with journalism degrees. I usually tip them better.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
investing in human capital generally pays off in the long run.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
The college diploma has become the new high school diploma. Only it isn't free like high school was. Far too many young people walk out of college with not just a college degree but massive debt and no better job than their Dad did with just his high school diploma. Worse, far too many end up with that debt and no college degree because they flunk out but they still have to pay back that money. We have also gotten rid of our 6 month to one year long vocational ed programs that used to train skilled laborers. For heaven's sake, beauty school now costs between $6,500 - 20,000 these days. When I graduated high school my neighbor paid $125 for that pleasure. What happened? The government started offering financial aid to attend. But I digress.... we need to stop pushing everyone into college and bring back high school vocational ed programs. One of my brothers learned heating and air conditioning repair while in high school and has supported his family quite well from that career. My cousin who became a plumber's apprentice right out of high school has done extremely well. There is nothing wrong with being a skilled laborer.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Don't ask us, ask all the employers who require college degrees.
Bingo.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
It's actually the government's fault, in many cases, that you need a degree for a job. I know a guy who was a plumber for over fifteen years, a good one, and he had to go get a BS, BS degree because the state decided that a plumber needed one.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay.

What is a degree in Anthropology worth?
65K a year teaching anthropology at a university LOL

Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I never had the notion that everyone is entitled to a college education. Many couldn't handle it becaues they lack the mental ability, some don't want to even if they have the ability. Those who are able and want to persue higher education should have some option to do so. It doesn't necessarily mean going away to college though.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I never had the notion that everyone is entitled to a college education. Many couldn't handle it becaues they lack the mental ability, some don't want to even if they have the ability. Those who are able and want to persue higher education should have some option to do so. It doesn't necessarily mean going away to college though.
I waited till I was 24, when I was ready to go to college and I am thankful that I did. I don't think I was in the right mindset at 18 if I would of tried college then. I was still basically a kid at 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies