Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
More people going to college is not going to have an effect on graduation rates at these universities. These schools admit the top 1% (in academic performance) and wealthiest of students. We're not going to see a change in the top 1%.
There isn't room at every private ivy league for the amount of truly brilliant students out there.
The students at the state schools will suffer the most (and I know many people who got into Harvard, Stanford, etc, who went to state school (good ones) because of $$$). Those people still deserve a top notch education. The state schools are the ones under pressure to maintain graduation rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 AM

25,853 posts, read 16,555,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not everybody is college material. Some people would be far better off learning a trade and going directly into the workforce. We already have far more people graduating with degrees than jobs that require them. Jobs require 4-year degrees today that only required a high school diploma 10 years ago.

And I know I am the most hated poster on this forum. I know my opinion really isn't worth a damn, but I don't see what is so politically incorrect about this specific question to warrant the personal attacks.
Well, I don't hate you and I think you ask some good questions. I also feel that college is not for everyone. I work in the elec utility field and in the next 5 years I've read there will be a need for 100,000 new linemen due to expansion and retirement. You need to be physically fit and be willing to work shift work and 60+ hours a week but you will make 6 figures. No degree required. Only a 2 year votech certificate.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,561,797 times
Quote:
A theme in every Obama speech is sending more young people to college. While in and of itself, that sounds like a good idea, we have millions of young people coming out of college now that aren't able to find a job other than Wal-Mart or waiting tables at Chili's. The value of the four-year college degree has gone from nearly guaranteeing prosperity 15 years ago to what the high school diploma once was. It college becomes an entitlement, it will even further devalue it. So why is it so necessary that more people go to college?

I went to school, working a full time job and paying my way up til graduate school. I graduated with a 4.0 and never got any monies nor did I expect things. When we start getting rid of the "entitlement" some people feel they deserve, society will be much better it. It is necessary to get a college education if you are going to pursue a medical degree. With that being said, "a college degree" is not what makes the person successful. Many people thrive without degrees. An education is something that nobody can take from you. Lastly, if you have 2 people going for a job, one with a degree and one without, you can best believe who will get the job.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whatever value the holder of that degree assigns it. Ask an anthropologist. That wasn't my major.

They'll work you to death for that 65k in the oilfields. I looked into that already. Oilfield pay isn't very good when you do an hourly breakdown. Benefits are good though.
My husband has worked in the oilfield for over 30 years, in a wide variety of jobs. He's 55 and still going strong. Once you get past the entry level jobs (which can be within two-three years) schedules such as "two weeks on and one week off" or, like my husband works, two weeks on and TWO weeks off, are common. That's hardly "working one to death" and the money is terrific.

In fact, the money is so good that most people WANT to work the hours - they BEG for the overtime, even in the entry level jobs.

But if you mean "you're expected to work hard" then yes, you would be correct. I know that really does mess with some peoples' minds, and that's OK - go work elsewhere.

It's not for everyone, but if a person is willing to work hard, get dirty, and work outside in all sorts of weather in exchange for more money than most people will EVER make, the the oilfield is a great option.

My husband makes more than most doctors - with a two year degree. "Look Ma - no student loans!"

Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
if i go back to school it would be for petroleum engineering, so would prolly have to be a texas school. but the oil jobs where they work you to death and you dont need a degree ... what type of work does that entail? is it the 28 days on 28 days off type work or year round?
There are all sorts of schedules - from straight hourly (in those cases you will probably work 60 hours a week, sometimes 70, but some of that time is sitting around in the cab of a pickup truck waiting while a wireline company tries to fish a lost tool out of a hole in the ground - that sort of thing), to two weeks on and one week off (offshore, out of state, etc) to - if you're lucky - my husband's schedule, which is two weeks on and one week off.

And everything in between.

If you are truly interested in the oilfield, you need to get your CDL and your HazMat certification. You should be able to get both of those in just a few months. If you have both, you can almost certainly get a job in the oilfield - probably in south Texas and almost certainly in North Dakota. Also, Colorado, California, Pennsylvania, and Arkansas are some other areas that are either booming or show great promise.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
A theme in every Obama speech is sending more young people to college. While in and of itself, that sounds like a good idea, we have millions of young people coming out of college now that aren't able to find a job other than Wal-Mart or waiting tables at Chili's. The value of the four-year college degree has gone from nearly guaranteeing prosperity 15 years ago to what the high school diploma once was. It college becomes an entitlement, it will even further devalue it. So why is it so necessary that more people go to college?
Didn't watch the SOTU but I agree this fixation on college is absurd. Play to people's strengths and stop trying one size fits all approaches.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
I agree that college is not needed for all. In fact, I'd be happy to see us revert to the days when kids not interested (or suited) to college could begin their vocational training at the high school level. One problem though, any time anyone anywhere says anything about tracking kids, there's a volcanic outcry about how all kids should attend college or we have somehow failed them. We need to get over this thinking in the US. Other countries track kids based on ability and they are held up as shining examples for providing college educations at little to no cost to the student. And they do, but only to the best and brightest. Is that a trade-off we're willing to accept?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times
Quote:
Not everybody is college material. Some people would be far better off learning a trade and going directly into the workforce. We already have far more people graduating with degrees than jobs that require them. Jobs require 4-year degrees today that only required a high school diploma 10 years ago.

And I know I am the most hated poster on this forum. I know my opinion really isn't worth a damn, but I don't see what is so politically incorrect about this specific question to warrant the personal attacks.

Very true! Universities are cash cows. A lot of college grads are unable to find work, and are stuck with a ton of student loan debt.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,296,130 times
Quote:

The problem with this is many trade related jobs have been eliminated by the combination of globalization and big box retailing.
The government is attempting to pacify the people by floating the premise that they can replace trade jobs with high skill jobs. Of course this is a lie, but that does not stop them from putting it out there.
The government is force feeding the public an agenda designed to lower wages and living standards to be more in line with the rest of the world. This agenda is designed to maintain the plan of globalization created by the big business interests that government serves.
America is in transition, and the once common middle class is being eliminated in favor of a two class system with a chasm in between.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,774,041 times
What did the plumber say to the guy with a master's in art history?

"I'll have a scone with my latte."

The truth is, we will always need people in occupations that do not require a college degree. Even if manufacturing went totally offshore, someone in Bangalore or Shanghai isn't going to come unclog your toilet or restore power after a major storm. Fortunately, with the resources available these days, someone can learn a trade after or even during high school, and can indulge their interest in liberal arts topics in their free time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies