Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times

Advertisements

As long as someone keeps up the work, atendance and grades - I'm all for it.

College is a different eduction than high school. More in depth, focusing on a subject area. And allowing a year or so of liberal courses, a number of students will become interested in focusing on some major.

Not all are moneymakers, but you do get peole that will go into health care, engineering, etc.

And I believe in 2 year schools for technical, building trades, tool and die, etc.

I'm willing to pay some taxes for that. It's for the long term good of the country.

We had it years ago (open enrollment) but it was taken over by sociology courses - time killers that allowed people to collect the checks. And got no where with jobs.

One thing with the 4 year degrees, there should be a requirement to work - perhaps like an apprenticeship in the field. This will gove the kids some money to live on, and real life experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why should all young people be entitled to a college education?
They are not.

[]

Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay.

What is a degree in Anthropology worth?
As long as I'm not paying for it, I don't care.

[it's the student's loss if his college degree is worthless]

Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Europe: Education is "free" yet only 1 in 25 Brits has a degree; 1 in 25 Germans has a degree; 1 in 33 Spaniards has a degree; and 1 in 33 French have a degree.

What is wrong with that picture?
Your numbers?

From here: Highlights from Education at a Glance - Statistics - OECD iLibrary

Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Okay.

More than no degree... in the case of my step-mother, a degree in Anthropology was apparently worth millions!

Bottom line, it is always better to have ANY education than NO education. Sure, some college graduates will end up unemployed for a time, but in the long-run they will usually do better than a HS graduate. Let's say that college grad does end up working at Walmart - do you think he/she will be in that job forever? Unlikely, whereas the non-graduate will have to work MUCH harder to get beyond minimum wage. I have two degrees myself, and haven't made less than a professional salary (50K+) in any job I've had since graduating. So yes, I do feel my degrees were worth the money!

Of course not everyone is "college material," but to say they hold equal value to a HS diploma is dishonest at best.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It may not pay much but the study of human history is fascinating to those that major in it. And they don't major in it for the money. We need people in these fields just as much as we need them in math and science. So why do you roll your eyes at this profession?
Personally, I don't roll my eyes at the profession. I think it would be kind of cool. At the same time, I just don't see why I, nor anyone else, should have our taxes raised, so YOU or anyone else can get a college degree?

Why is it, all these people expect me to pay for their children? You had them, start saving for their college educations at a young age. If you cannot afford, it that isn't my fault or my responsibility to pay for it.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A theme in every Obama speech is sending more young people to college. While in and of itself, that sounds like a good idea, we have millions of young people coming out of college now that aren't able to find a job other than Wal-Mart or waiting tables at Chili's. The value of the four-year college degree has gone from nearly guaranteeing prosperity 15 years ago to what the high school diploma once was. It college becomes an entitlement, it will even further devalue it. So why is it so necessary that more people go to college?

You've just answered your own question. Because today a degree is often required for jobs that high school graduates used to be able to get.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Yeah, if anyone out there is thinking about going to college...please don't. And if you do, don't major in Philosophy. Seriously.

It's a hard life for us.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Okay.

In the NJ/NY area, around $90-$160k per year after some UX experience. Fresh Anthropology grads are sought out for UX.

It's ironic... because just 5 years ago, no one would touch someone with an Anthro degree.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
some folks dont qualify for welfare so student loans take its place to live without working. A neighbor has racked up 100,000 in just 3 years,it pays mortgage,food beer cigs etc. all for a going to class what seems like part time. has no intention of paying it back. A blemish on those truly seeking a good education and a rewarding career.

HowTF do you qualify for a mortgage with student loans???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies