Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,281,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The college diploma has become the new high school diploma. Only it isn't free like high school was. Far too many young people walk out of college with not just a college degree but massive debt and no better job than their Dad did with just his high school diploma. Worse, far too many end up with that debt and no college degree because they flunk out but they still have to pay back that money. We have also gotten rid of our 6 month to one year long vocational ed programs that used to train skilled laborers. For heaven's sake, beauty school now costs between $6,500 - 20,000 these days. When I graduated high school my neighbor paid $125 for that pleasure. What happened? The government started offering financial aid to attend. But I digress.... we need to stop pushing everyone into college and bring back high school vocational ed programs. One of my brothers learned heating and air conditioning repair while in high school and has supported his family quite well from that career. My cousin who became a plumber's apprentice right out of high school has done extremely well. There is nothing wrong with being a skilled laborer.
You are so right.

Around here, a person can get a CDL in a few weeks, a HazMat certificate in a couple more, and start off in the oil and gas industry making 65K the first year - and it goes up with experience from there.

No student loan debt either.

Hmmmmm...

I worked in the staffing industry for about 15 years. If I had a dollar for everytime a company HR manager called me crying, "A welder, a welder - my kingdom for a welder!" I could go on a pretty nice European vacation!

All those $50,000 Business degrees and not a welder for miles....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 PM

29,628 posts, read 16,640,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A theme in every Obama speech is sending more young people to college. While in and of itself, that sounds like a good idea, we have millions of young people coming out of college now that aren't able to find a job other than Wal-Mart or waiting tables at Chili's. The value of the four-year college degree has gone from nearly guaranteeing prosperity 15 years ago to what the high school diploma once was. It college becomes an entitlement, it will even further devalue it. So why is it so necessary that more people go to college?
Just rewatched the speech, He also talked about Jobs and how German kids graduate high school with Technical knowledge equal to a Associates/technical degree from a community college here.

and yes, every person in this nation is entitled to a decent education.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,609,157 times
if all americans have a PhD then people with a doctorate will clean your toilets and mow your lawn and cook your food, just like france.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,683,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if all americans have a PhD then people with a doctorate will clean your toilets and mow your lawn and cook your food, just like france.
still, it's a trap since if you decide to go at it without a degree, unless you have business smarts, you're pretty much screwed. all of a sudden BAs get the secretary jobs, not the high school grads. The ceiling stayed the same but the floor was raised, causing stress in the middle. Either raise the roof, or watch the floor fall out from beneath us.

my family has traditionally been middle class...we're quickly falling to lower class levels. Doubt we're the only one's feeling it.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,305,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay.

What is a degree in Anthropology worth?
Whatever value the holder of that degree assigns it. Ask an anthropologist. That wasn't my major.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You are so right.

Around here, a person can get a CDL in a few weeks, a HazMat certificate in a couple more, and start off in the oil and gas industry making 65K the first year - and it goes up with experience from there.

No student loan debt either.

Hmmmmm...

I worked in the staffing industry for about 15 years. If I had a dollar for everytime a company HR manager called me crying, "A welder, a welder - my kingdom for a welder!" I could go on a pretty nice European vacation!

All those $50,000 Business degrees and not a welder for miles....
They'll work you to death for that 65k in the oilfields. I looked into that already. Oilfield pay isn't very good when you do an hourly breakdown. Benefits are good though.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,620,407 times
if i go back to school it would be for petroleum engineering, so would prolly have to be a texas school. but the oil jobs where they work you to death and you dont need a degree ... what type of work does that entail? is it the 28 days on 28 days off type work or year round?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Better to have a degree than not. That hasn't changed, nor will it.
Not at the expense of the other students who don't need the curriculum dumbed down.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,228,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not at the expense of the other students who don't need the curriculum dumbed down.
Good schools will not dumb down the curriculum. Only schools who are looking to increase enrollment will try to accommodate the masses.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Good schools will not dumb down the curriculum. Only schools who are looking to increase enrollment will try to accommodate the masses.
Any school under pressure to increase graduation rates will dumb down.
Even the good ones.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,228,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Any school under pressure to increase graduation rates will dumb down.
Even the good ones.
More people going to college is not going to have an effect on graduation rates at these universities. These schools admit the top 1% (in academic performance) and wealthiest of students. We're not going to see a change in the top 1%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies