Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Because sometimes looking for the best qualified workers available means that you are stuck with Asians and whites.
Only in Mongolia and Iceland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Nowhere in this thread will you see me saying that blacks are giving an advantage.

You made that up.

Corporations are desperate to avoid EEOC lawsuits and bad press.

Therefore they make a concerted effort to recruit African-American hires.

That isn't giving advantage. That's self-preservation.
But that is ONLY an issue WHEN THEY ARE NOT HIRING BLACKS. You do not have to make an EFFORT (you did use the word EFFORT....didn't you?) to do something that comes naturally. Rather, you just do it. I mean, if corporations did not hire whites, do you think they could avoid being sued? Whites would sue them too if whites were being excluded from the company. However, they hire whites NATURALLY......without EFFORT. It requires EFFORT to hire blacks because the natural propensity of white corporations is to not hire blacks......which then leads to low numbers that put them at risk of EEOC complaints.

I mean......there are 40 plus million African Americans in this country and I am sure that at least 60% of that number is in the labor force. Given that most jobs do not require a college degree and given the fact that most people, including blacks, do not have college degrees......why does it require so much EFFORT and STRAIN on behalf of white corporate America to hire black people, naturally, like they do whites, so that they would not even have to worry about being sued?

Its like making an effort to tell the truth. Only LIARS have to make an effort to tell the truth. Only people who have a problem with blacks, have a problem hiring blacks.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-14-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Only in Mongolia and Iceland.
Or Wyoming or Montana or Idaho or Berkeley or CalTech or...

Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
But that is ONLY an issue WHEN THEY ARE NOT HIRING BLACKS. You do not have to make an EFFORT (you did use the word EFFORT....didn't you?) without effort, hire people like them that they can relate to the most.

I mean......there are 40 plus million African Americans in this country and I am sure that at least 60% of that number is in the labor force. Given that most jobs do not require a college degree and given the fact that most people, including blacks, do not have college degrees......why does it require so much EFFORT and STRAIN on behalf of white corporate America to hire black people, naturally, like they do whites, so that they would not even have to worry about being sued?

Its like making an effort to tell the truth. Only LIARS have to make an effort to tell the truth. Only people who have a problem with blacks, have a problem hiring blacks.
If corporations aren't going to hire non-college graduate whites for the managerial track why would they hire blacks who don't have a college degree?

Do you think blacks who don't have college degrees should have preferential treatment?

Not every company in this country is located near a large population of African-Americans and many companies don't scour the globe for employees.

How is it a corporation's fault that African-Americans make up only 12% of the population but are expected to go above and beyond to find candidates who aren't readily available?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
If corporations aren't going to hire non-college graduate whites for the managerial track why would they hire blacks who don't have a college degree?

Do you think blacks who don't have college degrees should have preferential treatment?

Not every company in this country is located near a large population of African-Americans and many companies don't scour the globe for employees.

How is it a corporation's fault that African-Americans make up only 12% of the population but are expected to go above and beyond to find candidates who aren't readily available?
What is it that you do not understand about this statement: THE VAST MAJORITY OF JOBS CREATED BY CORPORATIONS DO NOT REQUIRE A COLLEGE DEGREE!!!!!!!!!!

Thus, why are you stuck on talking about a subset of the big picture, college graduates for managerial positions? Your original statement about corporations was not qualified by what employment sector and to degree vs non degree holders. Still, you are talking about the exception to the rule anyways, in regards to corporate behavior, because the RULE is that most jobs created by corporate America do not require college degrees and hence one can hardly describe the behavior of "corporations" as represented by the exception to the rule of corporations, which you have attempted to do. You are arguing using the fallacy of composition. You are attempting to extrapolate that what is true of a PART, is thus true for the whole. You CANNOT define corporate behavior as, tripping over themselves to hire blacks, based upon their attempt to recruit educated blacks, when the vast majority of a corporations work force are jobs that do not require college degrees.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What is it that you do not understand about this statement: THE VAST MAJORITY OF JOBS CREATED BY CORPORATIONS DO NOT REQUIRE A COLLEGE DEGREE!!!!!!!!!!

Thus, why are you stuck on talking about a subset of the big picture, college graduates for managerial positions? Your original statement about corporations was not qualified by what employment sector and to degree vs non degree holders. Still, you are talking about the exception to the rule anyways, in regards to corporate behavior, because the RULE is that most jobs created by corporate America do not require college degrees and hence one can hardly describe the behavior of "corporations" as represented by the exception to the rule of corporations, which you have attempted to do. You are arguing using the fallacy of composition. You are attempting to extrapolate that what is true of a PART, is thus true for the whole.
I sorry if you falsely assumed I was talking about secretaries, stock boys and mail room workers.

I was talking about the jobs that African-Americans consistently complain about being supposedly barred from attaining due to white racism.

Those would be middle and upper management level positions and technical professional careers which, believe it or not, usually require college degrees.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I sorry if you falsely assumed I was talking about secretaries, stock boys and mail room workers.

I was talking about the jobs that African-Americans consistently complain about being supposedly barred from attaining due to white racism.

Those would be middle and upper management level positions and technical professional careers which, believe it or not, usually require college degrees.
I did not falsely assume anything. You just moved the goal post. Black people complain about racism in ALL facets of life in America......not just jobs for the college educated, because racism is REAL and is not isolated to higher end jobs that require a college degree.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
Quote:
What you quoted in red is NOT a contradiction.

There is a difference between TELLING YOU WHAT TO THINK and WONDERING WHY YOU THINK THE WAY YOU DO.

Any nine-year-old could see that those are two different things.

And I'm sorry but when it comes to black leaders expressing concern about the black community to white leaders you won't be able to convince anyone that they weren't trying to tell white people what to do when it comes to the African-American community.

If you disagree then surely you won't mind politicians openly expressing a desire to end affirmative action and SNAP programs, right?

After all, black people aren't about to tell white leaders what their issues should be, right?
this is the single most ignorant post of yours yet, and that is saying a lot. politicians talk about ending welfare programs all the time. the problem comes when there are under tones directed at black people. black people are not most of the people on welfare and most black people are not on welfare. I am certainly not on welfare and just like shootings in Chicago, welfare is not MY problem, but I CHOOSE to rally for poor people and for black people in struggling communities. another black person in my situation may not care about these issues. it would be like wondering why whites in NYC don't take up the issues of poor white people in the Appalachians. but that's not what you're wondering about

Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
Quote:
OK, great.

A quota of black people on comedy shows is a non-issue and I expect CNN and MSNBC won't showcase people whining about it anymore, right?

Sounds good. Let's see how long that lasts.
cable news is full of non issues. just look at FOX.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
cable news is full of non issues. just look at FOX.
A producer on a 24/7 news channel once told me: "Sure, it's BS, but BS is better than static."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies