Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Well since you acknowledge that it is only some members of the groups you mentioned, why don't you take it up with those individuals who you feel are doing something wrong. Obviously it is not the whole group since once again you say many of them are your friends.

You also acknowledged African Americans are not blameless innocents either.

Along this line of thought, and lets be clear on this, for the most part, VIRTUALLY NO ONE COMES TO THE U.S. FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF HATING ON AFRICAN AMERICANS. Its possible some deranged individuals do but I doubt they would make up more than a minute minority.

If people develop negative attitudes towards African Americans, it just might have to do with some of the behaviors of many African Americans.

Look if someone is mainly here to pursue higher education, start a professional career or something else along those lines, the last thing they want to hear is they're "acting white" or being a sellout and a traitor to the "people". They might not be interested in nonsense about being descendants of nubian olmecs and other "divine children of the sun" or other ridiculous melanin based fantasies.

If these degenerates present themselves as the authentic representatives of the African American community, then yes over time people will develop negative attitudes about African Americans. If you're told you have to boost their self esteem and coddle them and if you don't that's being racist, yes some people will go past the boiling point.

Look if people are going around out and about in public unable to refrain from using the N word in each and every sentence and have a gimme attitude, if that's how they present themselves that is how they will be seen.

And this goes for anybody regardless of their color or national origins.

From the way you have described yourself the above characteristics don't match your description.

I try to be fair in my dealings with people, again regardless of color or national origins.

That's about the best I can do.

You are projecting numerous thoughts/ideas that were neither stated nor implied by my previous post.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You are projecting numerous thoughts/ideas that were neither stated nor implied by my previous post.
Well I could say the same about your previous post but I'll take the bait.

Care to be more specific about what you feel you stated and what I projected?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's odd how differently the Caribbean populations are faring in the UK versus the USA. I think in the UK they've become the depised minority of the country. I know the riots they had in London last year or so was started by Caribbean Blacks.
Was it? From what I saw, it was largely young people of all backgrounds acting out...but it started with father of 3 who was shot in Tottenham. And just other frustrations.

Who are the rioters? Young men from poor areas ... but that's not the full story | UK news | The Guardian

Quote:
In the broadest sense, most of those involved have been young men from poor areas. But the generalisation cannot go much further than that. It can't be said that they are largely from one racial group. Both young men and women have joined in.

Take events in Chalk Farm, north London. First the streets contained people of all backgrounds sprinting off with bicycles looted from Evans Cycles. Three Asian men in their 40s, guarding a newsagent, discussed whether they should also take advantage of the apparent suspension of law.

"If we go for it now, we can get a bike," said one. "Don't do it," said another. Others were not so reticent; a white woman and a man emerged carrying a bike each. A young black teenager, aged about 14, came out smiling, carrying another bike, only for it be snatched from him by an older man.

They were just some of the crowd of about 100 who had gathered on the corner; a mix of the curious and angry, young and old. It was impossible to distinguish between thieves, bystanders and those who simply wanted to cause damage.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Well I could say the same about your previous post but I'll take the bait.

Care to be more specific about what you feel you stated and what I projected?
I believe that my previous posts in this thread have adequately expressed my opinion on the topic so I will politely decline.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,713 times
Don't all black people come from Africa?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Word was that many "Black" Hispanics try to STAY "Hispanic" to get around anti Black racism from both anglo whites and Indian/white Hispanic people.
If I may say something. Hispanic blacks feel Hispanic because they are, and have no cause to feel any different. They automatically identify with whatever nationality they are first, and their race second. For example, within the Cuban community, blacks are not seen as Afro-Cuban. They're seen as Cubans. I did see the word Afro-Cuban here in the U.S. when I attended Americans performing Latin-African dances found in the santeria religion, and I know there is a study of Afro-Cuban culture in Cuba as well. As to how Cubans see Cuban black people, they're seen as Cubans.

Also, another thing. Cuban blacks don't have a separate dialect from Cuban whites. They sound the same. Here in the U.S. there is a separate dialect often found among American blacks which (to me) often sounds like that of the Texas rednecks. Not trying to insult, but it sounds that way to me. I think what it is, is a Southern dialect which was passed on.

This is not to say there isn't some racism within Hispanic nationalities, but I think it's much less than here. I think part of the reason is that there was a tremendous amount of intermarriage and slavery was abolished in Cuba before it was in the U.S. Once it was abolished, there were no lynchings or anything of the sort - at all.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
If I may say something. Hispanic blacks feel Hispanic because they are, and have no cause to feel any different. They automatically identify with whatever nationality they are first, and their race second. For example, within the Cuban community, blacks are not seen as Afro-Cuban. They're seen as Cubans. I did see the word Afro-Cuban here in the U.S. when I attended Americans performing Latin-African dances found in the santeria religion, and I know there is a study of Afro-Cuban culture in Cuba as well. As to how Cubans see Cuban black people, they're seen as Cubans.

Also, another thing. Cuban blacks don't have a separate dialect from Cuban whites. They sound the same. Here in the U.S. there is a separate dialect often found among American blacks which (to me) often sounds like that of the Texas rednecks. Not trying to insult, but it sounds that way to me. I think what it is, is a Southern dialect which was passed on.

This is not to say there isn't some racism within Hispanic nationalities, but I think it's much less than here. I think part of the reason is that there was a tremendous amount of intermarriage and slavery was abolished in Cuba before it was in the U.S. Once it was abolished, there were no lynchings or anything of the sort - at all.
Surely you jest?

Slavery was not abolished in Cuba until over 20 years after it was abolished in the US. In 1886 to be exact.

And Cuba, as well as all Latin American countries, have a racial hierarchy that is quite pronounced with Afro-Latinos and indigenous populations being on the bottom rungs.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Surely you jest?

Slavery was not abolished in Cuba until over 20 years after it was abolished in the US. In 1886 to be exact.

And Cuba, as well as all Latin American countries, have a racial hierarchy that is quite pronounced with Afro-Latinos and indigenous populations being on the bottom rungs.
Here you go:

Quote:
In the 19th century, Cuban sugar plantations became the most important world producer of sugar, thanks to the expansion of slavery and a relentless focus on improving the island's sugar technology. Use of modern refining techniques was especially important because the British Slave Trade Act 1807 abolished the slave trade in the British Empire (but slavery itself remained legal until the Slavery Abolition Act 1833). Cubans were torn between desire for the profits generated by sugar and a repugnance for slavery, which they saw as morally, politically, and racially dangerous to their society. By the end of the 19th century, slavery was abolished.

History of Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Lincoln issued his preliminary Emancipation Proclamation on September 22, 1862, and said that a final proclamation would be issued if his gradual plan based on compensated emancipation and voluntary colonization was rejected. Only the District of Columbia accepted Lincoln's gradual plan, and Lincoln issued his final Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863.

Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cubans blacks in Cuba and in Miami, Florida, don't live segregated from Cuban whites.

The indigenous in Cuba died from diseases and "disappeared" through intermarriage. In the eastern provinces, many of the Cubans have a slightly Asiatic look. A Cuban university ran DNA studies and found that a lot of the eastern Cubans had indigenous DNA. In one particular agrarian, mountainous area the people have a great deal of indigenous DNA.

Now let me ask you this. Are you Latin?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Cubans blacks in Cuba and in Miami, Florida, don't live segregated from Cuban whites.
They were segregated in Cuba before Castro came into power. And they're still segregated in Miami. They live in the traditional 'black' neighborhoods in Miami like liberty not hialeah.

I didn't know it was possible for one person to be wrong on such a number of different things as you.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
They were segregated in Cuba before Castro came into power. And they're still segregated in Miami. They live in the traditional 'black' neighborhoods in Miami like liberty not hialeah.
Okay, tell me why you say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies