Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Really. Where did you meet black Cubans, besides that sample of one you mentioned?
Another of my friends who'd describe as darker, you'd probably claim black, was from carol city. I would ask if you had any friends but I'm going to assume no.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM

734 posts, read 932,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually, the point is that many/most immigrants that the OP was referring to do not see America as "home". They have zero loyalty to the United States and are not invested in the success of the nation. So their successes are not American successes because their ultimate goal is usually to "go back home" taking the bulk of their resources back to their country. Even the 1st/2nd generation US born children do not think of America as home and I have numerous friends who are the children of immigrants who have made money in the US and then return "home".

I am an American and I am invested in my country. The same usually can not be said for the immigrants which the OP referenced.
^5
In truth, I'm a bit tired of recent immigrants and their children and/or grandchildren not showing any care or concern for this nation and its people. Americans with roots for several generations in this nation will not be going back "home," during retirement, because this is our home and we are trying to ensure that it remains prosperous and thriving for us and our children's children...

Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Another of my friends who'd describe as darker, you'd probably claim black, was from carol city. I would ask if you had any friends but I'm going to assume no.
Okay, so are you saying you knew 2 black Cubans, and that's how you based your assessment of what Cuban culture, Cuban racial dynamics, and Cuban history is? lol As of right now, I don't believe you knew any Black Cubans and merely spewed the first racist comment that came into your brain. Am I correct?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Okay, so are you saying you knew 2 black Cubans, and that's how you based your assessment of what Cuban culture, Cuban racial dynamics, and Cuban history is? lol As of right now, I don't believe you knew any Black Cubans and merely spewed the first racist comment that came into your brain. Am I correct?
Does trolling amuse you? Go find your boyfriend. I'm sure he think it's cute.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Does trolling amuse you? Go find your boyfriend. I'm sure he think it's cute.
I really thought maybe you had a reason for making the racist and wholly inaccurate comment you made, but alas, I was wrong. You have very little valid information on any topic. Impossible to discuss anything with you because you're not knowledgeable on most things, and you're filled with pure nonsense.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I really thought maybe you had a reason for making the racist and wholly inaccurate comment you made, but alas, I was wrong. You have very little valid information on any topic. Impossible to discuss anything with you because you're not knowledgeable on most things, and you're filled with pure nonsense.
Is your boyfriend not calling you tonight?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 PM

734 posts, read 932,741 times
Quote:
If I may say something. Hispanic blacks feel Hispanic because they are, and have no cause to feel any different. They automatically identify with whatever nationality they are first, and their race second. For example, within the Cuban community, blacks are not seen as Afro-Cuban. They're seen as Cubans. I did see the word Afro-Cuban here in the U.S. when I attended Americans performing Latin-African dances found in the santeria religion, and I know there is a study of Afro-Cuban culture in Cuba as well. As to how Cubans see Cuban black people, they're seen as Cubans.

Also, another thing. Cuban blacks don't have a separate dialect from Cuban whites. They sound the same. Here in the U.S. there is a separate dialect often found among American blacks which (to me) often sounds like that of the Texas rednecks. Not trying to insult, but it sounds that way to me. I think what it is, is a Southern dialect which was passed on.

This is not to say there isn't some racism within Hispanic nationalities, but I think it's much less than here. I think part of the reason is that there was a tremendous amount of intermarriage and slavery was abolished in Cuba before it was in the U.S. Once it was abolished, there were no lynchings or anything of the sort - at all.
The majority of TV networks only feature white Hispanics or very light skinned ones. Rarely, do they ever depict black Hispanics. Why is that?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,526,694 times
Quote:
Here you go:

In the 19th century, Cuban sugar plantations became the most important world producer of sugar, thanks to the expansion of slavery and a relentless focus on improving the island's sugar technology. Use of modern refining techniques was especially important because the British Slave Trade Act 1807 abolished the slave trade in the British Empire (but slavery itself remained legal until the Slavery Abolition Act 1833). Cubans were torn between desire for the profits generated by sugar and a repugnance for slavery, which they saw as morally, politically, and racially dangerous to their society. By the end of the 19th century, slavery was abolished.

History of Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reading comprehension is key

According to the link in your own post

1) Cuba was not a British colony in 1833 or ever. Slavery was abolished by the BRITISH colonies in 1833 NOT in Cuba which was a SPANISH colony

2) Spain abolished slavery in 1811 in their colonies BUT Cuba refused to end slavery on the island

3) Cuba abolished slavery in 1886

Sources:

Abolition of slavery timeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The struggle to end slavery. A timeline. Durham University Library

A History of Slavery

Slavery in the Spanish New World colonies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
The majority of TV networks only feature white Hispanics or very light skinned ones. Rarely, do they ever depict black Hispanics. Why is that?
Here in the U.S., yep. In Cuba, there are black and white Cubans on TV, on radio, in managing posts, etc. In fact (a little known fact), the president of Cuba (a fascist dictator) just prior to the Fidel takeover, was half-black/half-white. Tremendous amount of intermarriage in Cuba. Cuban blacks come from a very different culture. What will happen once they've been here for years, I don't know. Assimilation into the American culture will probably introduce a LOT of American racism into the Cuban black/Cuban white equation. Maybe, and maybe not. I have no idea.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Exactly. This and Obama's election proves that racism isn't all pervasive as many would like us to believe
No, it means that the person running against him was a worst candidate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.