Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
I remember this story. At the end of the day, "white/black" societies will have these issues. It may not be as pronounced in Cuba, but it is there. In the U.S., it is very pronounced. So that this is the experience of two people who were best friends is no surprise.

As for the Afro-Cuban, he will always be stuck between two worlds. He will never be white Cuban or African-American. He will often be Cuban to AAs and not the right kind of Cuban to white Cubans. Miami Cubans (white) do have a reputation for such behavior.

Better Cubans of African descent build a tight community like Nigerians, Ethiopians etc. It seems like Afro-Latinos and Afro-Caribbean people do such things less than we should.
I strongly urge you to visit Cuba. You will be very surprised.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I strongly urge you to visit Cuba. You will be very surprised.
My post was focused on the U.S., not Cuba. As stated, such issues may not be as pronounced in Cuba and from your statement, it is not. Unless you are trying to claim that it is more pronounced in Cuba. In the U.S., it is much more pronounced. Honestly, Cuba would not surprise me at all. My heritage is from a mixed nation as it is, not only mixed ethnically but religiously. More than any other island in the Caribbean.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 02-22-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
My post was focused on the U.S., not Cuba. As stated, such issues may not be as pronounced in Cuba and from your statement, it is not. Unless you are trying to claim that it is more pronounced in Cuba. In the U.S., it is much more pronounced. Honestly, Cuba would not surprise me at all. My heritage is from a mixed nation as it is, not only mixed ethnically but religiously. More than any other island in the Caribbean.
Very true.

Speaking of which, a completely mixed people would certainly solve all issues of this particular sort, wouldn't it?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Very true.

Speaking of which, a completely mixed people would certainly solve all issues of this particular sort, wouldn't it?
IMO, people have to choose to abandon backwards ideology. Even if a nation is completely mixed, human nature often prompts people to separate and discriminate to some degree. We have to understand right and wrong and do the former.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
IMO, people have to choose to abandon backwards ideology. Even if a nation is completely mixed, human nature often prompts people to separate and discriminate to some degree. We have to understand right and wrong and do the former.
Yes, such as rich vs. poor. True. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it lol

Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, such as rich vs. poor. True. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it lol
True, true...

Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
You made a statement which was factually incorrect.

Quote:
This is not to say there isn't some racism within Hispanic nationalities, but I think it's much less than here. I think part of the reason is that there was a tremendous amount of intermarriage and slavery was abolished in Cuba before it was in the U.S. Once it was abolished, there were no lynchings or anything of the sort - at all.

I commented that your statement was factually incorrect and provided the correct information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Surely you jest?

Slavery was not abolished in Cuba until over 20 years after it was abolished in the US. In 1886 to be exact.

And Cuba, as well as all Latin American countries, have a racial hierarchy that is quite pronounced with Afro-Latinos and indigenous populations being on the bottom rungs.

You responded, once again without correct facts.

Quote:
Here you go:

Quote:
In the 19th century, Cuban sugar plantations became the most important world producer of sugar, thanks to the expansion of slavery and a relentless focus on improving the island's sugar technology. Use of modern refining techniques was especially important because the British Slave Trade Act 1807 abolished the slave trade in the British Empire (but slavery itself remained legal until the Slavery Abolition Act 1833). Cubans were torn between desire for the profits generated by sugar and a repugnance for slavery, which they saw as morally, politically, and racially dangerous to their society. By the end of the 19th century, slavery was abolished.

History of Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Lincoln issued his preliminary Emancipation Proclamation on September 22, 1862, and said that a final proclamation would be issued if his gradual plan based on compensated emancipation and voluntary colonization was rejected. Only the District of Columbia accepted Lincoln's gradual plan, and Lincoln issued his final Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863.

Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now let me ask you this. Are you Latin?

I commented again and provided facts to highlight your error.

Quote:
Reading comprehension is key

According to the link in your own post

1) Cuba was not a British colony in 1833 or ever. Slavery was abolished by the BRITISH colonies in 1833 NOT in Cuba which was a SPANISH colony

2) Spain abolished slavery in 1811 in their colonies BUT Cuba refused to end slavery on the island

3) Cuba abolished slavery in 1886

Sources:

Abolition of slavery timeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The struggle to end slavery. A timeline. Durham University Library

A History of Slavery

Slavery in the Spanish New World colonies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You respond with the following garbled gibberish

Quote:
No, my stance, quite simply is that you don't know what the f you're talking about, but you keep trying to prove that you do know something. So, once again, I assure you - you don't. You merely searched for something that might in some way support your premise, and pasted it. When I explained who Alex V. was, you once again misinterpreted (which I see is what you do), the whole thing. That said, carry on! Misinterpret away. You're like the 3 blind men, one of whom feels the tail of the elephant, and says, 'AHA! AN ELEPHANT IS A SMALL, SKINNY ANIMAL!' lol Looney.

So therefore I will now place you on ignore.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
So therefore I will now place you on ignore.
I think that's excellent. Your commentary is delusional and contrived, and continues to be delusional and contrived.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM

132 posts, read 122,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
First of all, I am not talking about my own ethnic group. I am mulatto, not black.
Oh don't give me that crap. You "whitewashed" mulattoes are black on Monday, white on Tuesday and bi-racial on Wednesday. You're whatever you need to be when it's convenient.

Besides, you would never refer to yourself as a mulatto if you knew the origins of the term.

Quote:
Second, on average African immigrants are doing better than black Americans.
Hah! The majority of Black Americans are middle class. The average Black American is doing well.

Quote:
I have met many section 8 blacks...I have never seen nor heard of a section 8 Ghanian or Nigerian American.
Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. ....

Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Africans have a different narrative than American Blacks. Racism plays a part, and the history of this nation plays a part. Africans are coming here by choice, and you find educated, hard working Africans coming here.]

American Blacks were historically held down for a long time in the USA via slavery and Jim Crow. Sure, all of those things have ended. However, Black Americans have had some catching up to do. More Blacks have university-level degrees than ever before. More Black Americans are in the middle class than ever before. Much of the worst behavior seen from Black Americans takes place mainly among the poor.

However, with Africans, they are coming here, not with the feeling of being a minority, but of coming from another country, a different culture.
Well I see you answered the question on the first page so no need for me to read the other 26. Great post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies