Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 AM

734 posts, read 933,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
No, that is the majority of black America. They are either ghetto themselves or ghetto emulaters. Go to any majority black community in America and you will most likely see the same culture. A few scattered affluent black communities don't count. Also, that "old guard" of blacks are just that: OLD. Their younger generation are all about "keeping it real."

It amazes me how much people who insist they want to help black America refuse to admit the problem of black America is its culture. Pig feet were NOT intended for human consumption and "baby's mamma" and "baby's fatha" are NOT acceptable substitutes of "husband and wife".

Why not look at the real problem hurting black America:
Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health | NBC News

And yet pointing out these problems and the little bitty detail that it ISN'T WHITE MEN KNOCKING UP BLACK WOMEN AND LEAVING THEM is deemed "racist", even when the person pointing it out is also of African descent

African immigrants look at black Americans and ask the same question: why do they exalt the worst their culture has to provide? Why worship the "thug" and "pimp" image as the authentic black? But I know, I know, preferring Patrice Lumumba over Master P makes me a "self hating tragic mulatto"

And I'm not the only one saying it:

The Boondocks - Martin Luther King watching modern TV - YouTube

But I forgot: The Boondocks creator Aaron McGruder is also "a self hating black"
My question to you is, what have you accomplished? Which ivy and/or elite college have you attended? Seriously, why in a country with so much opportunity are you still mired in poverty? Apparently, you despise the people which you speak of, but for some odd reason, you're unable to live outside of the ghetto.

Why haven't you been able to set up a successful business venture and/or complete the necessary education to gain entry into a professional position?

I don't view you as a self hating black person. I view you as a mixed race individual who shares many of the same pathologies as the people in your surrounding community. You speak of the high number of out of wedlock births, but you left out the fact that your white mom, had you out of wedlock. Why didn't she choose a high quality man so that you could have a productive and loving father in your home while growing up?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Africans have a sense of belonging and destiny. This is due to the fact that they were not torn from their traditions as Black Americans were! This is why they're more stable and are goal-orientated.
I don't believe there is any great sense of destiny, at this current moment in time. I'm basing this on current poverty indicators and the overall instability, lack of property rights, and war-like conditions throughout much of the region. This is why unfortunately, many Africans would give their left foot to gain citizenship in the U.S. and/or Europe, despite the many problems here.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but as I see it, more Africans need to invest in their own continent. There's so much opportunity to build up the infrastructure and develop new businesses there, however, young educated Africans prefer to set up shop (if they can) in the West. This is the unfortunate reality. I really hope this changes, because the development of Africa, is a great thing for everyone within and outside of the diaspora.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Clearly, as stated earlier, to see any other group moving in a positive direction bothers you, thus your negativity toward Africans & Caribbeans. It burns you that there are African & Caribbean nations that are moving steadily forward though some of the youngest nations in the world. That's why you want to bad to believe that all are experiencing "gross levels of poverty, disease and overall injustice." You are longing for you statements to be true, but unfortunatly, they are not. It simply cannot be said for all. Perhaps one day you will be rid of you animosity and ignorance for others.
I think of myself as a global person; therefore, again, I see the struggles that many endure and I respect those that are able to overcome them.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I think of myself as a global person; therefore, again, I see the struggles that many endure and I respect those that are able to overcome them.
How interesting. It surely appears to be the opposite considering your unwillingness to recognize the progress of others, but very well. Nice that now you are stating that you see yourself as a global person since you didn't much like my focus on a "global perspective" for myself and my children.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
How interesting. It surely appears to be the opposite considering your unwillingness to recognize the progress of others, but very well. Nice that now you are stating that you see yourself as a global person since you didn't much like my focus on a "global perspective" for myself and my children.
I stated multiple times that I have traveled the world and lived on several different continents. I believe strongly in having a global perspective, but I continuously mentioned that the US is my native home, therefore, after all of my traveling, I'm always happy to return to my community.

This is akin to the behaviors of many other people who travel and live abroad. Yes, we love the experiences gained from such exchanges, but at the end of the day, we always long for home (wherever that may be).

Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I stated multiple times that I have traveled the world and lived on several different continents. I believe strongly in having a global perspective, but I continuously mentioned that the US is my native home, therefore, after all of my traveling, I'm always happy to return to my community.

This is akin to the behaviors of many other people who travel and live abroad. Yes, we love the experiences gained from such exchanges, but at the end of the day, we always long for home (wherever that may be).
Traveling can make you more open-minded and educated about the world, but some people who travel chose to remain close-minded and ignorant, which is evident in many of your postings. Glad you are happy to return home...and yes, we are do long for the same.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Traveling can make you more open-minded and educated about the world, but some people who travel chose to remain close-minded and ignorant, which is evident in many of your postings. Glad you are happy to return home...and yes, we are do long for the same.
You are the ignorant one, because you fail to realize that educated Africans and Caribs need to spend more time building and developing their own nations, first and foremost. If I was born overseas, I'd use all of my resources and efforts to built up my own homeland, that's where my loyalty would be, not to a foreign nation.

You however want me to give credit to people, who have little respect for their own homelands, and I simply won't do it. Chinese, Japanese, heck even Indians ensure that their own continent has a steady supply of educated individuals to move their nations forward, but sadly, the same is simply not true for the bulk of African nations, because those with abilities and skills leave in droves. I understand that they are trying to secure a better life, but these people simply fail to understand that they have an entire continent that they could develop, if only they would work together and spend their time and resources there.

I completed my graduate studies at NYU, and I was amazed that the majority of Africans (in my course of study) had received scholarship funds from Oprah Winfrey's foundation to study there. The caveat was, upon completing their studies, they were to return home, and utilize the information to build thriving businesses and infrastructure. Many of the African scholarship recipients had however tried to receive H-1B visas to stay in America, they were upset after the graduate program ended, because they didn't want to return home.

I understand that there are many problems, but again, I have little respect for people, that are not committed to improving their native homelands, first and foremost. I will confer countless praise to Africans, when they build a thriving continent, with the vast resources that God has blessed them with.

I feel the same way about Haiti. I have a few Haitian associates, and it boggles my mind, how many of them are uninterested in investing in their own nation!

Since America is my homeland and the homeland of my ancestors, this is where my loyalty is, it's really that simple.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You are the ignorant one, because you fail to realize that educated Africans and Caribs need to spend more time building and developing their own nations, first and foremost. If I was born overseas, I'd use all of my resources and efforts to built up my own homeland, that's where my loyalty would be, not to a foreign nation.

You however want me to give credit to people, who have little respect for their own homelands, and I simply won't do it. Chinese, Japanese, heck even Indians ensure that their own continent has a steady supply of educated individuals to move their nations forward, but sadly, the same is simply not true for the bulk of African nations, because those with abilities and skills leave in droves. I understand that they are trying to secure a better life, but these people simply fail to understand that they have an entire continent that they could develop, if only they would work together and spend their time and resources there.

I completed my graduate studies at NYU, and I was amazed that the majority of Africans (in my course of study) had received scholarship funds from Oprah Winfrey's foundation to study there. The caveat was, upon completing their studies, they were to return home, and utilize the information to build thriving businesses and infrastructure. Many of the African scholarship recipients had however tried to receive H-1B visas to stay in America, they were upset after the graduate program ended, because they didn't want to return home.

I understand that there are many problems, but again, I have little respect for people, that are not committed to improving their native homelands, first and foremost. I will confer countless praise to Africans, when they build a thriving continent, with the vast resources that God has blessed them with.

I feel the same way about Haiti. I have a few Haitian associates, and it boggles my mind, how many of them are uninterested in investing in their own nation!

Since America is my homeland and the homeland of my ancestors, this is where my loyalty is, it's really that simple.
This is entertaining. It is interesting that you specific nations in Asia that are making significant progress but fail to do the same when it comes to African & Caribbean nations, where strides are being made. It is no secret that Caribbean immigration has been decreasing for sometime now, while Asian immigration is increasing. In fact, Asians have surpassed Hispanics in this regard. Of course, you continue to speak about African nations as one whole groups, but you make sure to break down Asia. Your ignorance is showing once again. Honestly, it's fine that you harbor animosity towards other groups - just own up to your mentality. You are quick to speak about the Africans in your school that had issues, but you are angry when people give them credit for what they have accomplished here in the U.S. Again, it is apparent that African accomplishments in the U.S. upset you. Seriously, why are you so angry and hateful?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Racism def didn't stop Obama: he won the POTUS again.

IMHO maybe Obama winning was a good thing because it's making many "borderline" racists think about their attitudes. Too; Obama blew out the LAST "glass ceiling" for Black people in the US. Others will follow.
There is some truth to this, I just read a good book about Africa, "The Fate of Africa" which about Africa post-Independence. Evidently before independence Ghana and Nigeria had more than half of all the college graduates in Black Africa. The reason Ghana was the first independent Black African country is because it was felt there was a decent size educated class that could take over the reigns of leadership compared to most other African states. For example at Independence Congo had 13 Black college graduates.

Being that Nigeria and Ghana are English speaking migrants from these countries would prefer to migrate to English speaking lands such as the USA or the UK as opposed to France. Also French Africa is heavily Muslim so I wonder if that has something to do with it. This is all speculation on my part but thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:

This is an excellent post and it touches on the massive "brain drain" or lose of human capital (educated and skilled labor) that is rampant in African and Caribbean nations.

Publications - Articles

Brain drain in Africa has financial, institutional, and societal costs. African countries get little return from their investment in higher education, since too many graduates leave or fail to return home at the end of their studies.

In light of a dwindling professional sector, African institutions are increasingly dependent on foreign expertise. To fill the human resource gap created by brain drain, Africa employs up to 150,000 expatriate professionals at a cost of US$4 billion a year.

The departure of health professionals has eroded the ability of medical and social services in several sub-Saharan countries to deliver even basic health and social needs. Thirty-eight of the 47 sub-Saharan African countries fall short of the minimum World Health Organization (WHO) standard of 20 physicians per 100,000 people.

This continuous outflow of skilled labour contributes to a widening gap in science and technology between Africa and other continents. Africa’s share of global scientific output has fallen from 0.5 in the mid-1980s to 0.3% in the mid-1990s. There are more African scientists and engineers in the USA than in the entire African continent.

The flight of professionals from Africa endangers the economic and political systems in several African countries. As its middle class crumbles and its contributions to the tax system, employment, and civil society disappear, Africa risks becoming home to even greater mass poverty.

Africa Specializing in Capital Exodus? » TripleCrisis

Even as Africa faces severe shortages of skilled labor at home, it experiences large and increasing outflows of highly-skilled labor migration to industrialized economies in search of better job opportunities. The investments made in the training of these professionals are losses to African countries but translate into hefty gains for receiving countries. Thus resource-starved African nations are subsidizing developed countries’ industries and social services.

A recent study by Canadian scholars estimates that South Africa alone may have lost up to $1.4 billion due to the export of medical doctors to Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.[1] In turn, the UK may have gained up to $2.7 billion from the services of doctors from the nine sub-Saharan countries surveyed in the study.[2] Some observers argue that the remittances sent home by migrant doctors are a form of returns to investment in their education; some even claim that the sending African countries receive official development aid from the host countries that contributes to financing the training of doctors, among other things. However, these inflows fade in comparison to the losses due to migration of skilled health care professionals. The same holds for other professional areas beside the medical field. In general, there is a net transfer from Africa, making the continent a ‘net financier’ of the rest of the world.
Parallel to this exodus of human capital is the illicit export of financial capital from African countries – or capital flight. This is not a new phenomenon, and it shows no signs of abating.

Over the past four decades, sub-Saharan Africa has lost a staggering $700 billion due to capital flight. In addition to trade misinvoicing, smuggling, and embezzlement of revenues from natural resource exports, a substantial part of the capital flight was financed by external borrowing. We estimate that every year 40 to 60 cents of each borrowed dollar spins out of the revolving door as capital flight, often returning to the same banks that issued the loans. On net basis, Africa is transferring more money to the rest of the world than it is receiving in terms of borrowing and aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies