Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandUSA View Post
Making fun of equality again I see. Do you hate that word?
It has had destructive effects in society. Equality is kind of like religion in the sense that it's something that is fundamentally good but has been used as a justification for doing a lot of bad things.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:25 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Oh really?

And what is nature's design?
At the very least, the propagation of the species.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
marrying your own family member is legal in all 50 states.
If you are including "close family" member, you are mistaken.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Traditional marriage is based on nature's design.

All other arrangements, to include homosexual, polygamous and incestuous ones, ignore nature's obvious design for families.
Nonsense.

Complete rubbish.

What species of animals are marriage contracts promulgated besides humans?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 PM

26,505 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
How likely is that? Is your concern warranted?
No idea. I remembered reading an article of an incestuous couple in Germany and the government there banned it for genetic birth defect reasons. The article made it seem like problems would be likely.

I didn't vote in the poll on thread, because I don't know enough about the genetic downsides.

I really don't care if someone else wants to do something that I think is gross...so long as it isn't hurting someone else.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I think it can only be said that the situation is likely to be harmful to the younger person. But the same thing can be said in many different situations where we accept that it is none of our business to interfere. I mean, those women who are drawn to marry convicted murders in prison? Someone who knowingly gets involved with an alcoholic or drug addict? Marrying when you're both teenagers? There are plenty of situations that are likely to result in bad outcomes but it's not our place to forbid them. If a mother wants to marry her daughter or a father his son after the chld is a legal adult and both consent to it? I would never encourage that course of action, but I just don't see a way to ethically outlaw it.
I see what you're saying, but with regards to your examples when held against the child/parent scenario - something has to have seriously gone wrong in the child's life for them to want to marry the parent.

In other words, the fact that the parent would allow this to happen or has such callous disregard for their own child's welfare that they would orchestrate it... Means that not only should they not be allowed to marry, but there should be some serious investigation into whether the parent is guilty of neglect and/or abuse.

Incest is not about love, or sex. It's like rape, about power and control. It's a criminal act, not a case of someone falling for a less than desirable mate as a grown adult.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,564 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If you are including "close family" member, you are mistaken.
your definition of close family and mine differ. first and second cousins are close family in my book

Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Citation requested
For physical health:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_246.pdf

For emotional health:
Traditional Marriage is Best for Rearing Children

Quote:
Studies also provide direct evidence that traditional marriage relationships are better for the rearing of children than either single-parents or cohabiting adults, including same-sex couples.8Dr. A. Dean Byrd states that “Mothers and fathers contribute in gender-specific and in gender-complementary ways to the healthy development of children.9 In support of this, Dr. Byrd referred to the following summary of Child Trends research:
Research clearly demonstrates that family structure matters for children, and the family structure that helps children the most is a family headed by two biological parents in a low-conflict marriage…. There is thus value for children in promoting strong, stable marriages between biological parents.10
Dr. Byrd states that “extensive research spanning decades yields an overwhelming abundance of data supporting the importance of both mothers and fathers to the healthy development of children.”11 In 1982 Baumrind concluded that children of dual-gender parents are more competent, function better, and have fewer problems than other children.12 In 1991 Baumrind found that the combined parenting from a mother and a father in the home provided complementary benefits to the children.13 In 1984 Greenberger confirmed and bolstered Baumrind’s 1982 study; Greenberger’s study found that the optimal development of children requires gender-specific and gender-complementary contributions that a mother or a father cannot do alone.14 The difference between mothers’ and fathers’ parenting styles have been confirmed by studies, including studies by Rossi (1987)15and Shapiro (1994)16. A study by Clarke-Stewart (1980) concluded that fathers’ play and mothers’ play with their children are different, and that each offers distinct benefits to the children.17 Studies by Rohner and Veneziano (2001)18 and by Diener (2002)19 documented the unique contribution that fathers make in the development of a child. The absence of a father in the home has been linked to teenage pregnancy, child abuse, domestic violence and the need for psychiatric care. 20 The discipline styles of fathers and mothers also tend to be different, and it is beneficial to children to be exposed to both styles.21 A study by Golombok, Tasker & Murray (1997) found that the deficits experienced by children in “father absent families” is no different than the deficits experienced by children raised in lesbian families.22 The adverse affects of the absence of a mother in raising children has also been documented. The 1998 study by Eisold confirmed this.23Research confirms that mothers and fathers are not interchangeable; each provides separate and distinct advantages for the raising of children.24
If these are biased or in error in any way, I welcome anybody demonstrating that. As I said - I am philosophically opposed to promoting traditional families and discouraging other arrangements. I want gay marriage to be legal. I want single mothers or single fathers to be just as capable of bringing up children as traditional families and believe people should be free to marry and divorce who, when, and where they want. I believe all that is part of a free and equal society. I don't want these stats to be true. This is not a case of me cherry picking stats to back up a prejudice. It's the exact opposite. I don't like the results of the research. But it appears to be pretty valid - reputable, consistent, and repeated results from multiple studies on multiple aspects of childrens' health, emotional stability, and development all point in the same direction. A biological mother married to a biological father is demonstrably more likely to be better than any other arrangement.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
At the very least, the propagation of the species.
How is it that only humans get married, but every other species is able to propagate itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
No idea.
Didn't think so. It's usually best to have an idea about what you are talking about.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
your definition of close family and mine differ. first and second cousins are close family in my book
Same in mine. And they cannot legally marry.

Same with Father / Daughter, Mother / Son, Brother / Sister etc.

None of the above (and many more) CANNOT legally marry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies