Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Very much so. It's the foundation and bedrock on which stable families are built. I do not support redefining it.
Then logic states you actually DO support incestuous relationships - not to mention polygamy, spousal rape, and ownership of one's wife. See, those were the ORIGINAL definitions of marriage.

So let's be honest here, and state what you really mean... you don't support changing it from what YOU think is the proper definition, despite the fact that it's already been changed many times over. I guess that means you don't want it un-redefined? LOL. And to answer your original question, I don't care what any consenting adults do with each other. I don't like the idea of procreating with an immediate family member, since it can lead to serious genetic abnormalities - but other than that, I don't really give a hoot who marries whom.

(edit: I see now that you've already addressed these points, so feel free to ignore what's been covered here)

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-24-2013 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Really? You don't loathe Hitler, Jerry Sandusky, George Bush?
Can't say I do, since I have never met them. I loathe what they have DONE, especially in the case of Hitler since he caused the murder of my direct descendants... but as human beings, who knows? Maybe Hitler was actually fun at a party? Oh yeah, and my (very Democrat) father has met both George Bushes and says they're quite personable - and at least in the case of Senior, rather intelligent and well-spoken.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Really? You want to shrug off ignorance so simply? Guess that makes sense based on the thread.

I'm surprised you didn't go for the normal... of allowing people to marry animals.

The flaw in your logic is that "redefining" marriage leads to incestual relationships and their approval. that is likely why anyone with more than 1/2 a brain finds it pointless to answer. Nothing will sway your warped point of view.

"The normal" being deflection in this case.

I've asked the same or similar questions numerous times.

What is the logically consistent reason for supporting same-sex marriage but not same-family marriage?

I have yet to have anyone provide an answer except that they would also support marriage between closely related family members.

The truth is that there is no logically consistent reason for supporting same-sex marriages while excluding other previously taboo arrangements.

That's because there is no logical reason to support same-sex marriages.

It follows that if you have to abandon nature's obvious design as the reasoning behind what should be accepted as a marriage, nothing else is going to come along to provide a reason to exclude incest.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Not as small as starting a poll to bash gay people.

How weak is your argument in favor of same-sex marriage if you have to resort to name calling?

Go ahead.

Give us a logically consistent reason why same-sex marriage is OK but same-family marriage is not.

I'll wait....

Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
I noticed you didn't vote. Take a stand for equality.

my stand for equality is that i didnt vote. marriage does not belong in the hands of either the state or federal government. take it out of the hands of government and put into the hands of the people.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Wait for it. Someone who can't spell the word won't take long to bring the religious zealotry into the thread.

This one will go into 8 innings at least with all of the usual religious bigotry rearing it's ugly head.

Nonsense BruSan!

Just give us a logically consistent reason for supporting same-sex marriage and opposing same-family marriages.

I'll get you started...

I support same-sex marriage because _____________________, but I oppose marriage between close relatives because _________________________.

For a super genius like yourself, this should be a snap!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
I am a terrible speller, my apologies. How did you vote?
Use the spell checker function.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
I said in my op, if a mother and her daughter are both of legal age and wish to get married and live as wife and wife, do you support that. Why or why not? Thanks
What about a father / daughter? I personally know a couple (father / daughter) who are living as husband and wife.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Leave it to people who hate the GLBT community to coin a phrase like "Consensual Incest"

Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Then logic states you actually DO support incestuous relationships - not to mention polygamy, spousal rape, and ownership of one's wife. See, those were the ORIGINAL definitions of marriage.

So let's be honest here, and state what you really mean... you don't support changing it from what YOU think is the proper definition, despite the fact that it's already been changed many times over. I guess that means you don't want it un-redefined? LOL. And to answer your original question, I don't care what any consenting adults do with each other. I don't like the idea of procreating with an immediate family member, since it can lead to serious genetic abnormalities - but other than that, I don't really give a hoot who marries whom.

(edit: I see now that you've already addressed these points, so feel free to ignore what's been covered here)

I'm so glad you are well studied on the issue.

Perhaps you can answer the question none of the other supporters of same-sex marriage seem capable of answering.

If same-sex marriage is OK, what logically consistent reason is there to frown on marriages between close relatives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies