Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you've never met Hitler.
Nope.

You?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:51 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It doesn't matter if they're grown adults. A parent is in a position of power over their offspring, in one way or another.

Which means that there is no logical comparison whatever between incestual marriage and the marriage of two actual consenting adults.
Nonsense. I don't know how old you are, but if you're an adult and mommy still has "power" over you, as you put it, then perhaps it's time to grow a pair.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
The institution in the West has.
So what? Anybody can cherry pick to reach any conclusion they want. I can argue that marriage as an institution can only mean between one Italian and another, since that's the way it appears in my family tree as far back as I can trace (about 1720).

It would be stupid, but it's a perfectly analogous argument to yours.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I don't actually know any of them. And I voted for Bush.
Hmm.... so you would have to know a Genocidal maniac, a child molester and a big spending war mongering president in order to loathe them? I've never been in prison, but I don't need to commit a crime inorder to know that it's a bad place that I don't want to be in.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Nonsense. I don't know how old you are, but if you're an adult and mommy still has "power" over you, as you put it, then perhaps it's time to grow a pair.
Way to be a deep thinker.

A parent will always have some kind of power over their children, in some way or another, doesn't matter how old they are. The parent/child relationship is very complex, even when everybody is an adult.

Especially if they are having sex. At some point, the child was a minor and the parent was a parent. The dynamics of that don't just go poof after you turn 18.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Way to be a deep thinker.

A parent will always have some kind of power over their children, in some way or another, doesn't matter how old they are. The parent/child relationship is very complex, even when everybody is an adult.

Especially if they are having sex. At some point, the child was a minor and the parent was a parent. The dynamics of that don't just go poof after you turn 18.
Nonsense. It's time to cut the strings and move outta moms basement.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
So what? Anybody can cherry pick to reach any conclusion they want. I can argue that marriage as an institution can only mean between one Italian and another, since that's the way it appears in my family tree as far back as I can trace (about 1720).

It would be stupid, but it's a perfectly analogous argument to yours.
The institution of marriage comes from the Romans into our culture. No one else. If we want to include homosexuals we need to redefine that definition. I think polygamists and people in incestual relationships have a cleaner argument to get the definition extended for them, than homosexuals. At least what they want to do is more in the spirit of the institution as originally founded.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Nonsense. It's time to cut the strings and move outta moms basement.

If a parent and child are having a sexual relationship, don't you think there's a bit more to it than the failure of the child to leave home?

Do you really think that there's nothing deeper going on there?

You're talking about a parent and child getting MARRIED, and you say the parent doesn't have some kind of perverse power over the child? Are you freakin serious?

Didn't think this one through, did you.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The poll would be clearer if the OP had spelled Incest correctly.

Not that it matters-- the "slippery slope" faux-logic-- is just another proxy for her and her ilk to bash gays. It's tired.
Noope! That's just small.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
I already answered that, but since you didn't insult or attack me, I will answer again. Throughout he annals of history, marriage has always been defined as the union between a man and a woman. This is pertinent for a stable family unit and for the foundations of a family. I do not believe that it needs to be redefined.
This is a lie.

History of Marriage in Western Civilization
BBC News - Ten key moments in the history of marriage
http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...rriage-history
How marriage has changed over centuries - The Week
Same-sex unions aren't a recent invention. Until the 13th century, male-bonding ceremonies were common in churches across the Mediterranean. Apart from the couples' gender, these events were almost indistinguishable from other marriages of the era. Twelfth-century liturgies for same-sex unions — also known as "spiritual brotherhoods" — included the recital of marriage prayers, the joining of hands at the altar, and a ceremonial kiss.

Quote:
I was under the assumption that "outliers" were a given. My apologies for assuming, I should know better. There have always been fringe elements of all institutions, but historically speaking, marriage has been defined as 1 man and 1 woman.
Ummm, no.
It's better to research a topic before you present it so poorly and present yourself as so very wrong and dishonest.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-24-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies