Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 01:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Evolution is proven fact, Creationism is provien fantasy.
Please "prove" that creationisnm is a myth.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Long ago accepted as scientific "fact".
Only by those who are easily persuaded by textbook assertions that are unverifiable in nature.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Nothing is wrong with teaching about evolution in schools. Similarly, nothing is wrong with teaching about Creationism. Kids should learn about the conflict between scientific and religious beliefs, and why that conflict can cause problems and misunderstandings. Teaching about it doesn't have to mean promoting it, and I think there needs to be a greater understanding of Creationism, even if it's only taught in a cultural/religious sense.
How long will a 'lesson' on Creationism be?

Start 'lesson' on Creationism>

"GOD DID IT!"

>End of 'lesson'

Old 03-15-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Have you seen a family dog evolve into a giraffe? No, it can change based on the genes of his parents, but it will always be a dog.
That's NOT evolution.

That's a really really silly ignorant strawman statement showing a complete lack of understanding of evolution.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Something does not imply god. It could be anything and barring some extraordinary and revolutionary scientific breakthrough we will never truly know.

But we can guess off of things that are observable. And God just doesn't qualify for that.

Though you are technically correct that atheism essentially has become a religion
Okay, let's call the creator "flower", or "house".

I happen to believe in God.....it could very well be or not.

All that I'm saying is that to me, intelligent design makes more sense than something popping out of nowhere like a magic trick.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Where is the fossil record showing a species in transition? They don't exist. Evolution cannot be proven. There are plenty of fossils around. Millions in fact. Not one even suggests evolution.

A virus adapting is not evolution. Don't start talking about people with low IQs if that is what you believe.

You Creation deniers crack me up.

Show a record of a species in transition to another species. A different species. Not some silly virus mutation. And then evolution can be proved. Until then it is just a theory. And not a very good one at that.
That's NOT what evolution is.

That's NOT what a Scientific Theory is.

That's NOT what transitional means.

You Creationists crack me up with your ridiculous strawman arguments.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The fossil record contains fossils of only complete and fully-formed species. There are no fossils of partially-evolved species to indicate that a gradual process of evolution ever occurred. Even among evolutionists there are diametrically different interpretations and reconstructions of the fossils used to support human evolution from a supposed ape-like ancestry.

Even if evolution takes millions and millions of years, we should still be able to see some stages of its process. But, we simply don't observe any partially-evolved fish, frogs, lizards, birds, dogs, cats among us. Every species of plant and animal is complete and fully-formed.

Another problem is how could partially-evolved plant and animal species survive over millions of years when their basic organs and tissues were still in the process of evolving? How, for example, were animals breathing, eating, and reproducing if there respiratory, digestive, and reproductive organs were still evolving?

The fact that animal and plant species are found fully formed and complete in the fossil record is powerful evidence (although not proof) for creation because it is evidence that they came into existence as fully formed and complete which is not possible by evolution. This is only possible with creation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Correct, and well said. Thank you for your logical presentation.
It's incorrect and illogical and shows no clue about what evolution actually is.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but what happens when someone spouts off idiotic remarks, and no one stops to tell the group thats listening that the guy is an idiot? Someone will start to believe the idiot, now you have two.
Until you have a whole town of flat earthers who demand that the local public school teaches that the earth is flat.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Well, I suppose that depends on one's definition of what constitutes a "bonafide" scientific theory, doesn't it? I suggest that it most certainly is a full fledged scientific theory, given several dozen peer reviewed papers on the theory have been published in the journal of The Biological Society of Washington. That ID directly challenges the dominate mainstream view which embraces Darwinian Theory, probably explains why they might suggest it isn't a legitimate theory ... right?

http://www.pbsw.org/action/doSearch?searchText=intelligent+design

Details - Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. - Biodiversity Heritage Library

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/S...sign&searchCat=

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/subject/Evolution

Please provide the titles/authors/Journal volumes of the articles.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-25-2013 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
On that note my belief is that because there are threads of commonality among all major religions, points that are shared, or at least reasonably similar (i.e. morality, intelligent design, immortality of the soul, etc) could be taught and at the same time not promoting one faith over another.

As far as evolution goes, I have my own beliefs. Evolution has always been referred to as a "theory", even by Charles Darwin himself. If we go back to the scientific method from which the term is derived, a "theory" is by definition an educated guess. That is not to say that it is incorrect en masse, because all creatures adapt to survive.

But, to push Evolutionism on the public education system while simultaneously stripping the word God out of everything because it might offend someone is at its core the very same thing as pushing religion. Both are belief systems and in a public school setting those who do not subscribe to the theory of evolution are seen as stupid or under "delusion" (thanks GregW) by the liberal educators and administrators that create the curriculum and that have no tolerance for opinions other than their own.
*sigh*

Please educate yourself about what a Scientific Theory is.

Evolution is Not Just a Theory: home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies