Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Check out the story of how he got into it in 1944 when he, in full uniform with his lieutenant's bars, tried to get onto a bus and the redneck driver ordered him to the back. He refused because 1. As a human being and an American citizen and serviceman, he didn't think he should have had to sit in the back of any bus and 2. Bus segregation on U.S. military bases had been outlawed.

He actually inadvertently avoided combat with his 761st Tank Battalion because he was put in the stockade and court-martialed (he was not convicted of anything).
I also read that he had the thankless task of being the morale officer for an all-black unit, where the troops knew the irony of fighting for democracy thousands of miles away when at home they couldn't patronize a restaurant or store.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I also read that he had the thankless task of being the morale officer for an all-black unit, where the troops knew the irony of fighting for democracy thousands of miles away when at home they couldn't patronize a restaurant or store.
He did alot on and off the field. He even served this nation when this nation treated him like a second class citizen. I believe that anyone who would disrespect his legacy often does so because of their disdain for blacks in general.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The movie is promoted as "don't play the game, change the game."

What does "change the game" mean?

People who were good baseball players drive the success of the major leagues.

A lot of good baseball players in major league baseball happen to be black people.

Jackie Robinson was a good baseball player.

80% of baseball fans today most likely watched their first baseball game after Doby Gray and Jackie Robinson first played and during a time when black baseball players were a league fixture.

What is the point of the movie, 42?

Jackie Robinson and Dobie Gray accomplished what they did.

Why make a big deal about it?

Very few people alive find black baseball players unusual.

How come we can't "judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character?"

LOL,

I can only assume this is a troll post.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The movie is promoted as "don't play the game, change the game."

What does "change the game" mean?

People who were good baseball players drive the success of the major leagues.

A lot of good baseball players in major league baseball happen to be black people.

Jackie Robinson was a good baseball player.

80% of baseball fans today most likely watched their first baseball game after Doby Gray and Jackie Robinson first played and during a time when black baseball players were a league fixture.

What is the point of the movie, 42?

Jackie Robinson and Dobie Gray accomplished what they did.

Why make a big deal about it?

Very few people alive find black baseball players unusual.

How come we can't "judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character?"
You should have the mods delete this thread so its not on record that you made yourself look like a fool.

The whole point of the movie is that not only was Jackie Robinson good enough to play in the league BEFORE 1947, but if Kennesaw Mountain Landis hadn't specifically forbade blacks from playing long before that, the goddamn league would've been half black to begin with...therefore not necessitating a Jackie Robinson.

As far as I'm concerned, with the exception of a few players, baseball before integration in MLB was a joke and I give little to no respect for the records set before that time. They weren't playing against the best competition, and they knew it.

This movie is useful for a million reasons...people need to know what happened. Any story about injustice is NEVER too old to tell and learn from.

Jackie died at 52 years old because the stress of breaking that barrier took a horrible toll on his body. And he deserves to have his story properly told.

I don't know If the movie is any good, but the story is absolutely incredible.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yes. The stories are many about how black soldiers were treated worse than Nazi POWs, how some returning black veterans were killed while in uniform down South, and other atrocities or indignities too many and too horrible to name.

My dad and three of his brothers fought/served in WWII. I don't know how they, or Jackie, did it.

I don't think I could have.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM

288 posts, read 230,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From Brown v. Board of Ed:

the same is true for ball clubs.
That makes no freaking sense at all. As long as things are completely equal and segregated I see no problem but seeing how not every teacher is going to be the best at what they do how do you achieve actual equality? Even in schools now say you had a white school in rural Ga and one in an Urban city nice place and all who is to say the teacher at the urban school would be a better teacher than the one at the rural school? You gonna force all kids to attend the better school because its equal then? I don't think so. its social engineering at its best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You didn't even know who Hank Aaron was until half a page ago.
Sure I didn't. Glad you can read minds so well...mind giving me the winning lottery numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Running a business is about consumerism and making money, not basing business on skin color. Nice try at a racist strawman argument though.
Nice way of avoiding my question. If someone can have a say in who is allowed to live in the property they own and want to sell to others then should be able to do determine who they want to serve meals or groceries to as well. I ain't saying its right to do so that way but we should have that right in a free society since we don't have that right we obviously aren't a free society.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Branch Rickey was just as big a hero as Jackie Robinson.

Branch Rickey knew he faced little support from the other major league owners. As there was a preliminary vote on this matter, Rickey thought maybe a FEW owners would be with him in regards to letting Jackie joining the Dodger organization. He miscalculated. The final vote amongst the owners came in and not ONE owner sided with Rickey. Not one.

Shouldn't be surprising. Baseball's commissioner at that time was Judge Kennesaw Landis. Judge Landis made his feelings known about integration only sparingly in the press but in the PBS Ken Burns special "Baseball" it is squeezed into two sentences; "Negroes have their own league. Let them stay in their own league."

It was only maybe five years previous that famed baseball owner and MLB Hall Of Famer Bill Veeck informed Landis that he planned on buying the Philadelphia Phillies and stocking the club with black players. Landis put the kibosh on the sale immediately. And as long as Veeck was an owner (first with the St. Louis Browns, then Cleveland Indians, then the Chicago White Sox, Veeck did not have a friend with the other baseball owners. Another individual here that should get some credit was Albert "Happy" Chandler who succeded as MLB commissioner when Landis passed in 1944. Chandler played a significant part in this.

It wasn't about Jackie being the best black player at that time. He wasn't and even he said so. He was the right player.

Regarding other players who was his equal, or more than his equal, it could have been Satchel Paige. Or Oscar Charleston. Or Josh Gibson. Branch Rickey had a specific blueprint as to who could be the one individual that would be successful. He picked Robinson because of a variety of things Rickey was looking for, not just a .300 batting average.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-12-2013 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: spelling, correction

Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You should have the mods delete this thread so its not on record that you made yourself look like a fool.
He'd have to delete a lot more than that post. This thread is pathetic.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover View Post
As long as things are completely equal and segregated I see no problem . . .
Thankfully the U.S. justice system disagrees with your incredibly stunted way of thinking in regards to race.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Jackie Robinson isnt even in the top 10 black baseball players of all time based on accomplishment on the field. Id rather see a movie about Willie Mays or Hank Aaron. Far better players!
But Willie Mays and Hank Aaron might not have started their career in MLB when they did if JR hadn't been the first black man to play.

Do you fail to recognize the significance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies